PDA

View Full Version : How Myst 5 would be spectacular.

Anthony_Phillip
01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
First things first. Is Myst 5 definatly going to be realtime? I hope so. I think this feature really immerses the player into the world. Besides, the URU graphics engine has been 3-5 years into the making. Just take hold of the Direct X 9.0 or better yet 9.0c programming. I'm still looking for the game I have to update my Geforce 4200 Ti graphics card for.

Myst 4 was a bit confusing in finding my way in the jungle. So a compass would be nice. But the hint system is great when you've been stuck for a while.

The hint system would have been great for Myst 3's last puzzle. PC Gamer even said that you have to be a cryptic decoder to solve that one. But the rest of it's puzzels were great fun to solve. Not too hard, but some real easy. I got the most satisfaction from this game because I only had to use a hint guide twice. The racing ball you get to ride in at the end of the first real puzzle world was spectacular as well.

Myst 2, Riven was the most breathtaking game of its time. And still is in many insidences. I dont know why it was rated bad. Mabey because of some hot spot hunting and lack of chacacter interaction, which I agree with.

The first Myst is the most original game I have ever played. Discovering the two brothers in the books and looking for the pages to them so I could hear them better was what drove me on. But seeing that they both seemed to be lying was even more compelling. I remember that even the MTV game awards rated Myst as the #1 game of the year. Its funny though, at that time I thought the game looked like real life. But when I looked at the original game many years later, I saw how the graphics were not nearly as good as I remembered them, after Riven came out. (All the more reason for Pixel/Vertex shaders 3.0 in some places.)

Out of all the games, the best graphical features were the different means of transportation. Like Riven, and in Myst 4's slide through many different envirnments. I'm still working on Myst 4 though. I'v discovered all of the worlds but I'm taking a break in hope that when I return I dont have to use the hint guide. I wish I had just a bit more information to go on.

Anthony_Phillip
01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
First things first. Is Myst 5 definatly going to be realtime? I hope so. I think this feature really immerses the player into the world. Besides, the URU graphics engine has been 3-5 years into the making. Just take hold of the Direct X 9.0 or better yet 9.0c programming. I'm still looking for the game I have to update my Geforce 4200 Ti graphics card for.

Myst 4 was a bit confusing in finding my way in the jungle. So a compass would be nice. But the hint system is great when you've been stuck for a while.

The hint system would have been great for Myst 3's last puzzle. PC Gamer even said that you have to be a cryptic decoder to solve that one. But the rest of it's puzzels were great fun to solve. Not too hard, but some real easy. I got the most satisfaction from this game because I only had to use a hint guide twice. The racing ball you get to ride in at the end of the first real puzzle world was spectacular as well.

Myst 2, Riven was the most breathtaking game of its time. And still is in many insidences. I dont know why it was rated bad. Mabey because of some hot spot hunting and lack of chacacter interaction, which I agree with.

The first Myst is the most original game I have ever played. Discovering the two brothers in the books and looking for the pages to them so I could hear them better was what drove me on. But seeing that they both seemed to be lying was even more compelling. I remember that even the MTV game awards rated Myst as the #1 game of the year. Its funny though, at that time I thought the game looked like real life. But when I looked at the original game many years later, I saw how the graphics were not nearly as good as I remembered them, after Riven came out. (All the more reason for Pixel/Vertex shaders 3.0 in some places.)

Out of all the games, the best graphical features were the different means of transportation. Like Riven, and in Myst 4's slide through many different envirnments. I'm still working on Myst 4 though. I'v discovered all of the worlds but I'm taking a break in hope that when I return I dont have to use the hint guide. I wish I had just a bit more information to go on.

Zymmin
01-25-2005, 03:24 PM
As I have said before, at first I didn't like the realtime 3D, but really got to love it after using it for a while. I too hope EoA is in realtime.

I also have to say that for giggles I loaded Riven to replay it (it's too cold and snowy here to play golf, so why not, right?!?). Anyway I was amazed at my own memory of how the graphics in Riven were so awesome, and then after playing Revelation thinking, "wow, this is really pixelated, and slow!"

Just shows you how spoiled we have become.

pastle
01-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Realtime 3d would be awesome... but as long as view is limited to first person, the hand is brought back (I'm not a big fan of the uru circle), and you don't have to right click to get free camera motion.

Also, I hope the developers include more myst-like puzzles that involve more myst style stimulus-response logic and less uru-style we've-got-a-3D-engine-so-let's-make-puzzles-where-they-have-to-kick-stuff!

Part of the appeal of the Myst series to me is the feeling that you are not actually in control of your environment.

Also... more rides would be good... uru was surprisingly devoid, and Myst IV's were kind of lame. (Ooh I get to go up an elevator!)

Finally, I hope the developers include musis everywhere in the game... uru is seriously lacking in that respect, and lost a lot of the atmospheric feel of every other myst as a result.