PDA

View Full Version : Captain !!Captain!!!! Where is the @#$%^&@ Captain?

Max_Schnell
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Greetings to All.

Often when I am at sea I step away from the computer to freshen my beverage, grab a snack, steal a kiss from the Mrs. or any other number of things that I step away to do.

As usually happens these things take longer than expected or I am easily distracted. Upon my return to my station I somtimes find that the world is exploding, the boat is flooding with damage. Planes, destroyers or any combination of them is blasting away at us.

In the world of my mind I can imagine the crew running frantically about yelling for me, only I cannot be found on this little boat. I think of them wondering "Where could he possibly be?" On my return to station I wonder if they can smell the booze on my breath, or the stink of a sandwich with limburger cheese or even the perfume of my lovely lady whom I might have stepped away with. My poor crew, I have lost count of how many I have buried because I was away enjoying my vices.

I have always had a vivid imagination, this game only serves to encourage it. My family laughs because I will speak out loud to my men, yell if the situation requires it and even pray with them when things are looking bad.

I doubt that I am the only one who does this, but I would enjoy hearing from any of you as to your take on the matter or any information you might want to share. I do love this game.

Best wishes,
Max

VONHARRIS
07-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Max , you are not alone. I too scream orders - in German - to the crew , swear when a torpedo misses the target or fails to explode. I just live the game!
But when I go to grab a new can of Cola I hit ESC.
My wife hates it, sometimes my little girl gets scared.

Mittelwaechter
07-23-2010, 04:32 AM
My crew is very autonomous and my 1 WO loves to grasp the nettle.
Well - long story short - last career my crew sank a freighter and shot down two sunderlands totally on their own.

I use to man all surface stations while reloading an external torpedo to simulate crew working on deck and to expose them to possible enemy fire. I only do it in calm waters and I sail along at 1 knot to keep the diesels alive.
In the second half of the process I do not dive under all circumstances to simulate the reloading hatch to be open.

I prepared all the above in the evening hours of a late summer day in 1943 in medium visual conditions.
Still at TC 1 I left the computer for some drink and got distracted by real life events.
After more than one hour real time I realised the situation and checked the scenery to find a slightly damaged U-Boot - hull down to 93%.

By scrolling the little message screen my 1 WO was reporting a (fast?) freighter to appear and we were taking damage shortly after. My gun crew was set to open fire at will and they managed to sink a small freighter aiming for the waterline. A happy crew was cheering and the repair was done very competent.

Obviously the freighter called for help because two hostile aircraft appeared but only damaged our foredeck. Our two heavy flak vierlings payed back and downed two short sunderlands.

No own casualties were to mourn for and the external torpedo was ready to be tubed.

I am with LSH these months to check their performance and as far as I could see no one ever asked for the Kaleun.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I get a "opening pot one" from time to time while the missis is cooking in the kitchen.