PDA

View Full Version : Pure Goodness

BirdieNum-nums
01-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I did something completely ******ed last week. After reading about the announcement of MS Flight Simulator X to be released in Nov-Dec 2006, I went and bought FS 2004. I needed a quick fix of something other than IL2, you know, to mix it up a bit. OMYGOD! What a horrible mistake that was! I thought it was supposed to be good. The FM was the biggest joke ever! The planes were rather sad in their construction, and the camera can't be moved around freely. The user is confined to locked views by using the number keys.

I tried to keep an open mind but any way I sliced it, the game just sucked the big one. Well, it went straight back to Compusmart the next day. The manager was very cool and took it back no problem, chuckling under his breath.

My point is this: IL2 is simply the most unbelievably broad and refined WW2 sim ever, with absolutely nothing comparable to it. Sure, there's some new kids on the block lately, (I won't mention names) but nothing has been able to offer the sheer wealth of unbelievable well constructed aircraft and FMs that this sime has provided over the past 6 years. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's daaaaaamn close!!

Oleg's new add-on with the VERY EAGERLY AWAITED new aircraft is just the icing on the cake. Some of us have been panicking... waiting with baited breath at these new ``Prize Planes`` that will be released. A kid could do no better. At the mere mention of the words *add-on* or *new aircraft* from Oleg and co, we go nuts, we fall off our chairs, breathing becomes difficult and etc.. We are the most harcore, all-singing, undying WW2 aircraft junkies this planet has ever known, and our profound passion for this simulation and its creators will drive this industry into the future, with no end in sight. Girl-friends have walked out, marriages have gone down in flames, jobs have been lost, but happiness has always prevailed. Why? Because, Oleg and co have been there to listen.. and provide.

Thanks Oleg and co! You guys rock my world!

Peace out

Birdie Num-nums a.k.a The Jabberwocky

BirdieNum-nums
01-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I did something completely ******ed last week. After reading about the announcement of MS Flight Simulator X to be released in Nov-Dec 2006, I went and bought FS 2004. I needed a quick fix of something other than IL2, you know, to mix it up a bit. OMYGOD! What a horrible mistake that was! I thought it was supposed to be good. The FM was the biggest joke ever! The planes were rather sad in their construction, and the camera can't be moved around freely. The user is confined to locked views by using the number keys.

I tried to keep an open mind but any way I sliced it, the game just sucked the big one. Well, it went straight back to Compusmart the next day. The manager was very cool and took it back no problem, chuckling under his breath.

My point is this: IL2 is simply the most unbelievably broad and refined WW2 sim ever, with absolutely nothing comparable to it. Sure, there's some new kids on the block lately, (I won't mention names) but nothing has been able to offer the sheer wealth of unbelievable well constructed aircraft and FMs that this sime has provided over the past 6 years. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's daaaaaamn close!!

Oleg's new add-on with the VERY EAGERLY AWAITED new aircraft is just the icing on the cake. Some of us have been panicking... waiting with baited breath at these new ``Prize Planes`` that will be released. A kid could do no better. At the mere mention of the words *add-on* or *new aircraft* from Oleg and co, we go nuts, we fall off our chairs, breathing becomes difficult and etc.. We are the most harcore, all-singing, undying WW2 aircraft junkies this planet has ever known, and our profound passion for this simulation and its creators will drive this industry into the future, with no end in sight. Girl-friends have walked out, marriages have gone down in flames, jobs have been lost, but happiness has always prevailed. Why? Because, Oleg and co have been there to listen.. and provide.

Thanks Oleg and co! You guys rock my world!

Peace out

Philipscdrw
01-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm sure I replied to this post somewhere, yet this is a different thread...

FS9 isn't too bad. It's like apples and oranges to compare Il2 to FS9 - they feature planes, and you can fly over Russia or the Pacific if you like, but that's the only thing they have in common.

russ.nl
01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Amen! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Owlsphone
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
FS9 is great at what it sets out to do. It doesn't claim to be a combat flight simulator. It simulates non combat situations, and it does it very well.

Oh and btw, I don't know what you tried, but you can move the camera more freely than in FB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

You are right that FB is the greatest WWII combat sim however.

SeaFireLIV
01-24-2006, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BirdieNum-nums:
I needed a quick fix of something other than IL2, you know, to mix it up a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you mean. after a year or two of playing IL2, you think "There must be a flight-sim if not better, that`s actually as good as IL2 by now?"

You just feel like a change. So you buy...

CFS3, BOBwov, Fs2004, etc...

And it`s like a kick in the teeth, every single flight-sim out there is badly outclassed. NO ONE has managed to even equal IL2 in all this time. Experiencing them against IL2 is a real eye-opener. BOBwov I had high hopes for, but while it has good stuff (like immersive campaign), there`s always that horrible sinking feeling with the actuall aircraft in battle... sounds that were so raved are just samples that cut out, aircraft have no individuality and the strange flying characteristics of AI is somewhat deflating... and as for CFS3...

Other flight games not mentioned are just arcade.

Those who complain about IL2 do so knowing there`s really nothing else at the moment and still keep flying IL2...

I don`t know if anyone`s going to match Oleg`s IL2, but they`re really going to have to pull their finger out if they`re gonna have any hope of just beginning to catch him up.

blackpulpit1970
01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Try lock on flaming cliffs with the new patch 1.11 and you will have a great time. It is of course a jet simulator and a fine one at that which gives hours of fun. It is a great change from the prop sim and a good online community, try it out for a change.

BirdieNum-nums
01-24-2006, 11:56 AM
I know that it's like comparing oranges and apples but hey, they're both flight sims right? One is combat oriented and the other is not. But that aside, why was I not impressed by FS9? What is it about it that made it feel stale and just well.. boring. Maybe because I'm a die-hard WW2 fighter plane junkie and it ends there. But hang on: I love every type of aircraft, be it vintage, military, civilian, agricultural, sailplane, conceptual... am I leaving any out?? So you see, I'm not an exclusive ww2 warbird fan, I love all types. But they are my passion, and nobody does them better than Oleg and co.

MS9 is not a pile of junk, I understand that. But it doesn't inspire me to play it.. it doesn't call to me. Let's face it, real flying is a blast, and infinitely more fun than any simulation. But sims are there for people who a)can`t fly, b)don't have a plane, c)are afraid of heights, d)don't have the money... e) or who just want to play sims mmmkay? That being said, a SIMULATION of just normal peacetime flying, with not a whole lot going on by way of real and natural stimulation that is obtainable through REAL flight, is frankly, not that exciting. Maybe if FS9 had some missions or something, like what the new version will be offering, it could only help.

Like grabbing a water bomber and putting out some forest fires in Yosemite.
Or locating and rescuing some stranded skiers in the Alps, while flying through a storm, while taking some damage to your Pilatus.
Or flying a helicopter ambulance and picking up a patient from a swanky Manhattan penthouse and delivering them to a hospital in Yonkers.
Now that, could be exciting.

But for now, I think I'll stick to chasing zeros and dodging flak.

mean_mango
01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
There's a hidden benefit to FS9 that most people don't really stop to consider.

First, FS9 is actually pretty good. Not exciting or technically astounding as IL2 of course, but really puts you in the seat of the modern private or commercial air pilot.

Second, when you take the time to REALLY learn the specifics, such as navigation, proper landing approach, engine management and emergency procedures, then you take this stuff into the IL2 sim..... WOW!!!

FS9 makes you learn more, think analytically and FOCUS. Every time I play a flight in FS9 and then go back to IL2 for some missions, they turn out to be the BEST FLIGHT SIM EXPERIENCE EVER!!! Because I'm sharper, more confident and have new skills, it's a much more real and exciting experience.... especially when you're switching to smaller, more powerful planes and a more accurate flight model. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

As the title says..... PURE GOODNESS! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Dunkelgrun
01-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Birdie Num-nums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. What was that film? Peter Sellers of course.

Cheers!

Pig_Mac
01-24-2006, 12:32 PM
FS2004 is pretty good at what it's supposed to do, not that it appeals to me. I have a friend that can sit glued too the screen for hours, doing a flight between Sweden and [insert destination far away]. Making sure the lights on the virtual toilets are on, and keeping all systems running, and bore the ATC to death.

I don't have the patience nor interest for big ugly jets without any form of weapons. But if you do.. there are a lot of good (and bad)addons that you can spend your hard earned money on, making the virtual bustraffic more realistic.

I just got myself a TrackIR4 and THAT sure was pure goodness! worth every hmm ...cent(?) (don't know the smaller values of the euro) of the 188 euro I payed for it!

BirdieNum-nums
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
188 euro for a Trackir4? Yowwwwwch!!! That sounds awfully steep! I'm sure Trackir technology works real swell but golly gee, that's a lot of money for a pointing device.

I have a very cheap alternative. I bought a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse about a year ago, and it does double duty as my Trackir immitator. Since it's cordless, it doesn`t get int the way either.

The idea is simple. You take your mouse, place it on the left (I'm right handed) and grab your joystick and place it on the right. With both hands working together, I can fly around and watch the action with no problems whatsoever, while i use the mouse to orient my view. And I don't have to move my head to do it. Ok, I'll refrain from making comments about the silly hats and all... (oops, I just contradicted myself).

Trackir: very cool technology and neat toy.
Essential? Only for those who lack imagination or who have too much money, or both.

Cheers,

Birdie Num-nums a.k.a. The Jabberwocky

P.S. To Dunkelgrun: Yes, ``Birdie num-nums`` was a catch phrase by Peter Sellers' character in the film The Party

Pig_Mac
01-24-2006, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">188 euro for a Trackir4? Yowwwwwch!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well at naturalpoint.com they charge: TrackIR 4 Pro $179.95 and an additional 65$ for delivery to sweden. So I consider it a bargain since I got it delivered in 2 days.

I've been an anti-TrackIR (since I've been so poor) for years, but there hardly are words to describe how good it is. My left hand is already stuffed with a Cougar throttle and I'm not ambidex enough to use my left hand for mouse.

BaldieJr
01-24-2006, 02:49 PM
I play the carp out of MSFS but I'm not poor so I can afford good add-ons and top-shelf hardware.

Maybe you should try a few freeware planes. I'm certain I saw one with cammo. Also, try turning down some of your video settings so the game is playable. Look me up online and I'll help you taxi/takeoff but only after you make sure your old computer is not causing me lag. I don't mind helping people but its really irritating when some guy is like "please halp me baddiejr this game sux im using ati and 16k of rams my kids bought my compuder at the yard sale 8 years ago".

BoCfuss
01-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Yep, I can understand....but, you can do more in MSFS then you can in IL2. Its nice to learn how to navigate in a real way, ILS, etc. However, MSFS out of the box is a not good at all. You have to spend more money, or atleast spend a month downloading other things. The FM of 747s in IL2 is ****, There are also more real pilots using MSFS then IL2. Airports look much better in MSFS. You can't shoot, drop bombs, fly in formation, etc in MSFS. Again apples and oranges.

BirdieNum-nums
01-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the offer BaldieJr. Very considerate of you, but alas, I've already returned FS9 to the store. In retrospect, it sounds like I might have gotten some fun out of FS9 had I been a bit more patient, downloaded truckloads of add-ons and what not, but frankly, I don't think that's my bag.

Maybe I'll give FSX a shot when it's released in Dec2006. At least the preview info and screenshots look more promising. But until then, it will be Russian sims only, for me.

I can almost taste the new aircraft we're awaiting in the imminent add-on.

Gimme love!

Birdie Num-nums a.k.a. The Jabberwocky

NAFP_supah
01-25-2006, 08:34 AM
O great another one of these moronic fanboi threads. The FS9 FM isn't a joke, its fairly accurate. Maybe you should try and getting some real life stick time before spouting out broad generalisations like this. The camera couldn't be moved around freely? Did you notice the "Eyepoint" movement commands in the assignments menu? The camera can be moved in ways PF can't. You find the planes rather sad in construction? Well that's how cessna 's are made in real life. The virtual cockpits in FS9 have great detail for the default aircraft considering their not just "faked" 3d like PF's. PF only models that which you see from the riggid viewpoint you have. FS9 pits have to model the entire cockpit. When it comes to technical airplane handling PF is simplified and FS9 has most of the functions a real airplane has if you turn up the realisme enough. Also FS9 has a MUCH larger flight enviroment and allows for a lot more 3rd party input. IL2 and PF are great games but if you want to be a idiot and think you have to bash everyother flight sim that comes along out of some twisted loyalty to a person who sold you something a while back you need to do a reality check. Fanboi-ism only makes you look dumb.

VVS-Manuc
01-25-2006, 08:43 AM
and try to set the realism options to "realistic", then return and discuss about FS 9...

SeaFireLIV
01-25-2006, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
O great another one of these moronic fanboi threads. The FS9 FM isn't a joke, its fairly accurate. Maybe you should try and getting some real life stick time before spouting out broad generalisations like this. The camera couldn't be moved around freely? Did you notice the "Eyepoint" movement commands in the assignments menu? The camera can be moved in ways PF can't. You find the planes rather sad in construction? Well that's how cessna 's are made in real life. The virtual cockpits in FS9 have great detail for the default aircraft considering their not just "faked" 3d like PF's. PF only models that which you see from the riggid viewpoint you have. FS9 pits have to model the entire cockpit. When it comes to technical airplane handling PF is simplified and FS9 has most of the functions a real airplane has if you turn up the realisme enough. Also FS9 has a MUCH larger flight enviroment and allows for a lot more 3rd party input. IL2 and PF are great games but if you want to be a idiot and think you have to bash everyother flight sim that comes along out of some twisted loyalty to a person who sold you something a while back you need to do a reality check. Fanboi-ism only makes you look dumb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really must do something for yor problem... What`s that in your sig, by the way? Oh, it`s an Me262 from CFS3? No, from I L 2!

NAFP_supah
01-25-2006, 09:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
O great another one of these moronic fanboi threads. The FS9 FM isn't a joke, its fairly accurate. Maybe you should try and getting some real life stick time before spouting out broad generalisations like this. The camera couldn't be moved around freely? Did you notice the "Eyepoint" movement commands in the assignments menu? The camera can be moved in ways PF can't. You find the planes rather sad in construction? Well that's how cessna 's are made in real life. The virtual cockpits in FS9 have great detail for the default aircraft considering their not just "faked" 3d like PF's. PF only models that which you see from the riggid viewpoint you have. FS9 pits have to model the entire cockpit. When it comes to technical airplane handling PF is simplified and FS9 has most of the functions a real airplane has if you turn up the realisme enough. Also FS9 has a MUCH larger flight enviroment and allows for a lot more 3rd party input. IL2 and PF are great games but if you want to be a idiot and think you have to bash everyother flight sim that comes along out of some twisted loyalty to a person who sold you something a while back you need to do a reality check. Fanboi-ism only makes you look dumb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really must do something for yor problem... What`s that in your sig, by the way? Oh, it`s an Me262 from CFS3? No, from I L 2! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"yor" problem, what problem would that be? Yes that is a Me-262 from IL2 in my signature? So what? Does that mean I am not allowed to enjoy other games then PF? I never played CFS3 so I dont pretend to have an opinion about it. You should try making posts that have an actual point in them, it really helps. The fact remains that fanboi posts make you look dumb, as do posts without a point or clear message like yours. You can enjoy PF without losing all forms of objectivity and becoming a mindless fanboi.

SeaFireLIV
01-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Actually the "Yor" was a dodgy keyboard error. Must change keyboard... Does sound like I`m trying to be cool I guess...

What were you saying again?

SeaNorris
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also FS9 has a MUCH larger flight enviroment </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, although the whole lot of it is so generic, don't say ''3rd party add on'' because we should be talking about the game as it comes, stock. So you're telling me the FM is realistic? Is that why I cannot take off a 737 from my home airport? Where I see them take off every single week?

Oh yeah, thats totally realistic.

NAFP_supah
01-25-2006, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaNorris:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also FS9 has a MUCH larger flight enviroment </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, although the whole lot of it is so generic, don't say ''3rd party add on'' because we should be talking about the game as it comes, stock. So you're telling me the FM is realistic? Is that why I cannot take off a 737 from my home airport? Where I see them take off every single week?

Oh yeah, thats totally realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You CAN say third party add on because you can actually make third party addon's. That's the whole thinking behind the FS scenery setup. MS didn't make super high definition renditions of the entire world, but what is there is often good enough for VFR flights and if further enhancements are really desired 3rd party developers will add that.

If you have trouble replicating real life behaviour in FS9 you are more likely then not making an error. Check which specific 737 subvariant operates from your home airport, what their fuelloads are, what flaps settings their are using. What is your home airport? I'll go and give it a go right away and we'll see if it really is impossible or if you are doing something wrong.

NAFP_supah
01-25-2006, 10:15 AM
and on the subject of sadly constructed aircraft:

http://supah.chaotic.nl/screenshots/spitfirefs9.jpg

http://supah.chaotic.nl/screenshots/spitfirepilot.jpg

Yes it all just screams sadly constructed!

ploughman
01-25-2006, 12:16 PM

http://supah.chaotic.nl/screenshots/spitfirefs9.jpg

http://supah.chaotic.nl/screenshots/spitfirepilot.jpg

Yes it all just screams sadly constructed! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's your point? Please clarify.

NAFP_supah
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:

[IM]http://supah.chaotic.nl/screenshots/spitfirefs9.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://supah.chaotic.nl/screenshots/spitfirepilot.jpg[/IMG]

Yes it all just screams sadly constructed! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's your point? Please clarify. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't exactly call RealAir's Spitfire "poorly constructed" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lucius_Esox
01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
I have a m8 who is a big fan of the flight sim series. He spends a lot of cash on it, much more than we do on this sim and I'm including all the h/ware like track ir and pedals etc plus a great rig.

He only flies using VFR scenary. I think to date a lot of europe is covered, definately all of England and Wales because I've got that and I can actually see MY OWN HOUSE http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Above a certain altitude with this scenary and various mods he uses for clouds terrain mesh etc the comparison between that and IL2 is actually funny. There is no comparison, it is virtually photo realistic, even now.

Add to that the "realness" of navigating by VFR over terrain you know using a map and you have a bizarly real level of immersion.

Trouble is it is hideously expensive and you don't get to shoot things http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

knightflyte
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Trackir: very cool technology and neat toy.
Essential? Only for those who lack imagination or who have too much money, or both.

Bird num nutz you mean.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

$400.00 for a vid card...... $900 for a new proc and mobo.... $100 for a sound card.... $300 for a CH products HOTAS/ rudder system.... $150 for a Track IR. (It's the least expensive peripheral and gives the best bang for the buck

I'd give up any of those to have a track IR.
I'd bet if you gave it a week you'd sell your spleen. It really is that good.

Many folks have spent that kind of money for their flight sim hobby. Extreme?... probably.... necessary?....no....

But Track IR IS irreplacable when you find out it's true value.

When you pick up FSX get the Track IR too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif