PDA

View Full Version : Can't fly online with 56k anymore..........

Jumoschwanz
02-13-2005, 10:11 AM
When I fly on the major dedicated servers like Warclouds, Warbirds, greatergreen, etc... I am kicked everytime. They set the servers up so when things get busy and I use a lot of control input and fire my guns my ping spikes and am kicked in short order.

I just want everyone to know that I am not disconnecting on purpose in the heat of battle, becuase it is usually in the heat of battle that I am suddenly taken off the server.

Even if the server shows a very good ping between one and two hundred, and has five good bars I will still be kicked if the server checktime and lag settings are decreased from default too much, as they are on most popular dedicated servers.

I wouldn't worry about giving me any advice about drivers or spyware cleaners or other stuff because I have been around and tried and seen them all, and I have the best modem money can buy, plus a isp that regularly connects at 49 to 54 kb/s.

It is a broadband world now. Many webpages including Ubisofts are loading very slowly now on 56k.
I never had much use for broadband as I never got into dowloading music or movies or any other large files. The only big files I ever downloaded were updates for this sim and some drivers.
Something about everyone in the world being on broadband bothers me. I think the opportunity for it to be abused by government and big corporations to keep track of our lives is going to be too much for them to resist. They will make broadband mandatory, and they will make it mandatory to do our taxes and billing over the internet. You just watch it happen. Not to mention once it is made so that you cannot live without it they will jack the price for it up and up just as they do with cable television(which I do not have either).

I have talked to a local ISP about getting DSL with a static IP address. I might try it out for a while in a couple of months and see if I can make it pay for itself with online auctioning and using it to repair and update others computer systems that I work on.

UNtil then I am less and less enthusiastic about flying online, and am back more and more to playing with the FMB, the campaigns and the QMB. These are fun but nothing beats the comradery of flying online with good folks from around the world.
Whenever there is a server up on Hyperlobby for the old Il2 version 1.2 I can have fun without getting kicked, as in the old days.

S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
02-13-2005, 10:11 AM
When I fly on the major dedicated servers like Warclouds, Warbirds, greatergreen, etc... I am kicked everytime. They set the servers up so when things get busy and I use a lot of control input and fire my guns my ping spikes and am kicked in short order.

I just want everyone to know that I am not disconnecting on purpose in the heat of battle, becuase it is usually in the heat of battle that I am suddenly taken off the server.

Even if the server shows a very good ping between one and two hundred, and has five good bars I will still be kicked if the server checktime and lag settings are decreased from default too much, as they are on most popular dedicated servers.

I wouldn't worry about giving me any advice about drivers or spyware cleaners or other stuff because I have been around and tried and seen them all, and I have the best modem money can buy, plus a isp that regularly connects at 49 to 54 kb/s.

It is a broadband world now. Many webpages including Ubisofts are loading very slowly now on 56k.
I never had much use for broadband as I never got into dowloading music or movies or any other large files. The only big files I ever downloaded were updates for this sim and some drivers.
Something about everyone in the world being on broadband bothers me. I think the opportunity for it to be abused by government and big corporations to keep track of our lives is going to be too much for them to resist. They will make broadband mandatory, and they will make it mandatory to do our taxes and billing over the internet. You just watch it happen. Not to mention once it is made so that you cannot live without it they will jack the price for it up and up just as they do with cable television(which I do not have either).

I have talked to a local ISP about getting DSL with a static IP address. I might try it out for a while in a couple of months and see if I can make it pay for itself with online auctioning and using it to repair and update others computer systems that I work on.

UNtil then I am less and less enthusiastic about flying online, and am back more and more to playing with the FMB, the campaigns and the QMB. These are fun but nothing beats the comradery of flying online with good folks from around the world.
Whenever there is a server up on Hyperlobby for the old Il2 version 1.2 I can have fun without getting kicked, as in the old days.

S!

Jumoschwanz

3.JG51_BigBear
02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
When I started flying online with Il2 dial-up wasn't such a big deal but about a year ago it started becoming increasingly difficult to play online without high-speed so I bit the bullet and went to broadband. I don't do anything that the government would care about anyway so they can track me all they want. With broadband I can enjoy online gaming and just using the net is a lot more fun now. I used to have to plan big downloads so I could leave the computer on over night and pray that no one called and knocked me off the internet. Now I do 150MB dowloads on a whim. Its great.

vocatx
02-13-2005, 02:41 PM
What about those of us who live in areas where dial-up is the only option (other than exobitant sattelite internet)? I live more than 15 miles from the nearest town on a ranch. Dial-up is all there is. I would like to try flying on-line, but from what I have read on this forum, it seems doubtful I could, even if I could run PF on my computer. I recall seeing a post from Australia the other day lamenting the same. It would be nice if there were a place for the other 50% of people to enjoy this past-time.
And yes, some of the web pages, Ubi's included, take forever on my connection.

ZG77_Lignite
02-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Being in the same situation Vocatx, I can say it Is possible to play online (Il-2/PF) with dialup.

As Jumo said, it is more difficult now, as servers tend to grow in size and complexity. As it stands, we may be out of luck for the big 30+ pilot servers, but 'regular' small servers of 5-20 are still doable.

All depending upon your connection quality of course, however this tends to be fairly good in rural areas due to the decreased traffic, and (at least in my case) fairly modern equipment. Remember Ping is not the most important factor in online gaming (in fact it is barely a factor at all).

As for the future, we may be out of luck (****ed if I'm getting on the 'steam' network). But I'm hoping that broadband transmission technology that uses power lines pans out.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Another option dial up players should consider is starting dedicated dial up servers. A lot of first person shooters have some very good servers that are only available to dial up players. Since everyone is operating at the same speed there's much less warping and very few time outs and auto kicks.

LuckyBoy1
02-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Not true about dial-up... at least as far as online play when not hosting goes. See Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users on how to help with this problem.

adlabs6
02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
I flew on dialup from the original IL2 through AEP with no problems at all. It should still be possible, unless Oleg has changed the net code since AEP, or unless server admins are putting the squeeze on dialup players. A shame in either case, as it all worked darn well for the two and half years I played this game online. IL2 has/had some of the best net code I've seen.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-13-2005, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adlabs6:
I flew on dialup from the original IL2 through AEP with no problems at all. It should still be possible, unless Oleg has changed the net code since AEP, or unless server admins are putting the squeeze on dialup players. A shame in either case, as it all worked darn well for the two and half years I played this game online. IL2 has/had some of the best net code I've seen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was very possible to play with dial up but about a year ago it seemed like some of the larger servers started making it harder for dial up players to stay connected. Now I think things are getting even harder because of number of people that the game will accomidate. To accomidate the larger number of players I think server admins have had to make it harder for dial up players to stay connected because of the warping and stuttering that can be caused by players with high pings.

Lav69
02-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Dude I dont know how say this in a friendly way, maybe I shouldn't, but I think you are a bit arcaic and somewhat paranoid dillusional. If you cant afford or dont wnat to pay for broadband thats one thing, but the whole conspiracy theory thing is a bit dramatic dude. In most cases DSL or cable is only twenty or so more dollars a month than dial-up. And as far paying bills online, I do. Heard of a firewall? Encription? Secured sites? Doing that stuff online is great. Save a tree, use less paper. Lighten up man, life is too short.

repoman11
02-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Thankfully GreaterGreen still works for me, even though I can only connect at 28.8. That works out to an average ping in the low 200s.

Warclouds is too picky though. Even though my average ping stays below 300, for reasons unknown to me it will occasionally spike to over 400, and I'm immediately booted.

It is a broadband world out there, and I share your frustration at huge webpages. There are still many places in the world, including northern California, where no broadband (in my case other than exorbitantly expensive satellite )is available. I just spent the weekend at my mom's, and her computer connects at 45.2. That seems like broadband compared to what I'm used to. Even when I'm on a good server with a low ping, I'm handicapped by not being able to use comms, and regularly have my *** handed to me by those using comms and teamwork. As my choices are live with it or quit playing, I'll live with it.

LEXX_Luthor
02-13-2005, 07:17 PM
repoman:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm handicapped by not being able to use comms, and regularly have my *** handed to me by those using comms and teamwork. As my choices are live with it or quit playing, I'll live with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
offwhiner here, but you just gave me a neat idea...

Can the community arrange for commless Dialupers fly Japanese or early WAR Soviet planes while Commers fly USA, Brit, or German planes? I know that will require at least half to give up their preferred "side" but the larger issue is simulating the real thing and this could be enough attraction. Just an idea I guess...

In place of real life hand signals, maybe certain short manuevers could be agreed upon to communicate between Dialuped simmers/simmerettes, and/or coded wingtip smoke bursts. Or would this require too much onwhine cooperation. They have onwhine Squads that cooperate internally, why not larger onwhine Groups?

okay okay...back to my FMB

Jumoschwanz
02-13-2005, 08:56 PM
The problem with 56k started when they began letting servers alter the Maxlag/checktime settings. I can fly on a server that is default ok. But most of the better run servers tighten the settings up so that only those with broadband can stay on them.

I know it is an alleged cheating method to go crazy with the control stick inputs to induce lag when someone is on your six right? But in a dogfight or when someone is on your six you DO have to go crazy with control inputs to do the job, so I don't think so many poeple were cheating as just doing what they had to in the heat of combat.
THis is when I usually get kicked, when I ratchet up the input and start moving the flaps, the hatswitch, the control stick and firing the guns then I get kicked almost everytime. When I get attacked I could just let go of the stick and put my hands in my pockets, this would keep me from getting kicked maybe, as long as I don't mind getting shot to pieces.

ANd I am a major retro-grouch, and a minimalist. I do fine flying against multiple foes with my hat-switch, so I refuse to endorse track IR, stuff like that. In fact not long ago I was bounced by three Wildcats on the Warbirds server from above and shot all three down. No, it does not happen that way every time, but once in a while is enough right?

I like being a free man. And part of being free to me is not having to participate in something unless I want to. I don't even like the laws that say I have to have a Photo ID.

The ignorant often call someone that is older and knows a few things more paranoid. JUst like when we thought our parents were square for being concerned about us climbing trees and making our own firecrackers. They were right, it is dangerous.....S!

Jumoschwanz

LEXX_Luthor
02-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Jurmo, use mouse to look around...unless you fly as gunner.

You can increase FB/PF mouse sensitivity in the game Input Menu. Default is 1.0 (or 2.0). I usually use 4.0 or higher. Max is 10.0

This way I can just nudge my wrist and scan the whole sky, yet still have reasonably fine control for stuff like looking at Zoomed in target or instrument guage.

Set back to lower values before doing any FMB, QMB, or other deep menu work or you get rocket boosted mouse cursor.

This frees up Hatswitch for stuff like 30 degree wide view, 90 degree zoom in view, toggle gunsight view, padlock view...er...padlock, got carried away there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TrekkieIR http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Mouse, very most Minimalist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

vocatx
02-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Okay, so you are all saying that it IS possible to fly on-line with dial-up? If that's the case, I'd love to try it. Can you tell me where? (I'm only running FB/AEP, don't think comp will run PF). I really envy those that don't have to deal with dial-up anymore, but I still prefer living in the sticks!

-HH-Quazi
02-13-2005, 11:39 PM
You might as well just get use to it m8. Technology doubles every 4 years. Hiding in a corner is only going to make you more conspicuous to those you feel you need to hide from. I play and pay online. If there was any information about myself I felt like I need to hide, I would be worried about connecting to the net via broadband. They know what they know already. You nor I either one have anything that they don't already know about. Come on m8. Break open and out of that cocoon. You'll be alright.

Fehler
02-14-2005, 02:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
Dude I dont know how say this in a friendly way, maybe I shouldn't, but I think you are a bit arcaic and somewhat paranoid dillusional. If you cant afford or dont wnat to pay for broadband thats one thing, but the whole conspiracy theory thing is a bit dramatic dude. In most cases DSL or cable is only twenty or so more dollars a month than dial-up. And as far paying bills online, I do. Heard of a firewall? Encription? Secured sites? Doing that stuff online is great. Save a tree, use less paper. Lighten up man, life is too short. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

For every person that is being watched, there has to be someone watching. So, the next logical question is, who is watching the watcher? And who is watching the watchers of the watchers?

Perhaps we should all dig holes our back yards and built 5x5x5 rooms with no windows and lined in lead and concrete to keep people out.

Seriously though, it is quite easy to "Track" someone if you have just a few known points for them. A telephone number, a name, and a general area where they live. I showed a friend a little police program I use at work. I plugged in the last 4 digits of his phone number, his last name, and the general region of the US he lived. Within 10 minutes, I was able to tell him all the cars he ever owned, his property, who his next door neighbors were, and his parents names and social security numbers. I even told him where he ordered Pizza most, and the last day he placed such an order! I could have gone further, but I had made my point to him.

If you are alive and live in the real world with the rest of us, (You own property, have a telephone, pay taxes, or have a credit card) you can be found very easily, and remarkably fast.

If most of us knew how accessable our lives really are, we would be very freightened.

There is an old saying in the police world, "Locks keep the honest crooks out." This means that no matter how well you think you protect yourself, there is always someone that can break into your car/home/life. So do you penalize yourself and live in fear, or just go take your chances like everyone else and confront problems as they arise? The choice is up to you.

Getting broadband will make you no less likely to be a victim of identity theft than the next guy that does not have it. This is because all a person needs to have to really steal your identity is your name. The rest is pretty easy.

LuckyBoy1
02-14-2005, 03:21 AM
As far as the old "security" thing goes, I've found those on dial-up to suffer much more than those on high speed access due to...

No Service Pack 2 or even 1 installed due to long download times. Yes, it is available on disc, but few get it this way. Then to top it all off there are many MB's of Security updates since the release of Service Pack 2.

No Direct X 9.0b or c installed and yes, there are sevurity concerns on this one.

Lack of updated anti-virus definitions and software firewall rules. Again, you can get some of the updates on disc, but most don't do that either.

Lack of updated anti-spyware definitions on usefull things like SpywareBlaster, Spybot and Ad-Aware.

It takes me all of 45 minutes to update all of this on the web from a fresh install. The same updates would take days on dial-up service.

There are programs lurking out there watching who is even going to Cousin Billy to update and can infect you before you get a chance to take the days on end to update.

I still stick by my statement that you can play online with dial-up as long as your PC is fast enough that it isn't making the ping rate long as well.

Still, as far a security concerns go, give me my router/hardware firewall, a software firewall, which by the way you still need if on dial-up for security along with my ability to quickly update all these definitions before the attack happens and people on dial-up are relative security road kill when you compare them to those on high speed IP service. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

F19_Ob
02-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Pf is infact smoother than fb but there has been an unrealistic increase in objects, flak and too big maps aswell as increase of players from 28 to 50+.
Thats just not realistic and it ofcourse rules out most without topsystems and connections.

Wonder if this vast exaggeration-trend have to do anything with olegs promise of online airbattles with 100+ players in PF??

I'm sure most of the problems will dissappear with the smaller maps and less flak and objects
and why not test 40players for a while?
Perhaps preloading of planes?
I also think its a good idea if the servers dont swallow too many players leaving others empty.

well....my thoughts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Atomic_Marten
02-14-2005, 04:01 AM
I have 56k too. I do not fly online anymore, and I will not going to cry over it..

Why? Simply because I don't remember time when it was actually a pleasure being online with 56k. I was *always* experiencing problems, lag being kicked and so on. And if that all went well, some rude players are always outhere. Well I do not have nerves for that stuff anymore.. :P. So no more online for me, untill better connection. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif