PDA

View Full Version : ... as the Bugler Played Taps

AO1_AW_SW_USN
08-19-2006, 07:22 PM
This morning my Grandfather passed away. He was one man out of many that served in World War II, and that are dying everyday.

I just wanted to take the time, here in a World War II simulation game forum, to reflect on the many sacrifices by the nations both the Allied and Axis powers. Their triumphs and tribulations helped mold and shape the way we live our lives today. They've shown us sacrifice, courage, devotion, self-reliance, drive, determination and many other traits for all of us to emulate and follow. But the most important lesson that the greatest generation that has ever lived has showed to us is how to be humbled.

Next time you meet a World War II veteran, I challenge you to look them straight in the eye, give a firm handshake and then thank them for what they have experienced and what they have done. I guarantee that you will not regret nor forget your encounter. I highly encourage this because, statistically, they are two thousand World War II veterans that die everyday.

Thank you for reading, and may God continue to bless all our living and fallen heroes.

In Loving Memory of:
Harold W. Lee, Machinst Mate Chief Petty Officer United States Navy (1940-1952)

Major Awards:
US Navy Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star with "V", Purple Heart (three awards).

Major Events:
USS Arizona (BB-39) and Pearl Harbor survivor
Operation Torch participant
Operation Overlord participant
Battle of Okinawa survivor

and he was the best man I've ever known.

bunkerratt
08-19-2006, 07:46 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

elitecomando
08-19-2006, 07:55 PM
my warmest regards to you and your whole family regarding the loss of your grandfather. there is a ww2 spitfire pilot that lives in my building and a couple of weeks ago we were talking and i thanked him for fighting a war and and said the world wud not be as it is today wud it not have been for the veterans of ww2 dead and alive.

Danelov
08-19-2006, 07:58 PM
My sincere condolences to the family Lee.Rest in peace.

Goose_Green
08-19-2006, 08:07 PM
May your grandfather rest in peace....my sincere condolences go to your family over your loss.

The_Silent_O
08-19-2006, 09:45 PM
...HE MUST have had stories to tell...and now one less USS Arizona survivor.

I believe he has rights to be buried at the Arizona memorial itself? Actually entombed in the ship.

...Anyway my condolences to your family...he joins my Grandfather in peace also.

Realjambo
08-20-2006, 02:15 AM
A touching, thought provoking, and well written post. My condolences to you and your family.

VikingGrandad
08-20-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather.

Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:
Next time you meet a World War II veteran, I challenge you to look them straight in the eye, give a firm handshake and then thank them for what they have experienced and what they have done. I guarantee that you will not regret nor forget your encounter. I highly encourage this because, statistically, they are two thousand World War II veterans that die everyday.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Well said.

cpt_Alex2006
08-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Please accept my condolences, I too lost a grandfather last week.

That is truly a great record of service.

Alex

Michiel_88
08-20-2006, 03:36 AM
I offer my sincere condolences. I hope he may rest in peace.

Baldricks_Mate
08-20-2006, 05:06 AM
It is well to reflect on men like these that I fear we will never see the like of again.

For without them we would not be here...literally.

Sincre Condolences for your loss,
Happy Remeberances for his life.

B_M

hueywolf123
08-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Baldricks_Mate:
It is well to reflect on men like these that I fear we will never see the like of again.

For without them we would not be here...literally.

Sincre Condolences for your loss,
Happy Remeberances for his life.

B_M
The perfect response, an entire generation of heroes are sadly passing away. Let none of us ever forget.
My sympathies to you and your family

Fish40
08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
This morning my Grandfather passed away. He was one man out of many that served in World War II, and that are dying everyday

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I know you must have been proud of him, and enjoyed the stories he must have told you.
I also recently lost my grandfather at the magnificent age of 96! He served in WWII in the Pacific Theater, in the Philippines. I never tired of his war stories, or looking through his war photos, which included several photos of the destruction of a Japanese communications tower, as well as PB4Y's parked on the airfield.
We should never forget these great men of a by-gone era, and their sacrafices. May they rest in peace.