PDA

View Full Version : Endgame choice speculation

compucat35
07-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Hello all,

Altho I don't post here much, I read here a lot. I've played every Myst game, except the URU series. Here's the question I've been thinking about, I apologize if this is a repost :

Every Myst ends with a choice. Either you choose correctly and the game ends correctly, or you choose incorrectly, with a shorter ending that makes clear that you made a mistake. In EOA, we apparently have 2 choices, choose either Yeesha or Esher. (Or maybe choosing neither).

Here's my questions. We know from later on in time (POTS, etc.) Yeesha is still around doing her Dni work, so clearly she is still involved. Now if she was the wrong choice, would there really be this whole Uru spinoff of someone that we shouldn't trust? And if Atrus is in it, and Yeesha is the wrong choice, would he actually be in the endgame ending while we decide not to choose her? Also, no matter who we choose, do you think we will know immediately if we choose incorrectly? As if one person has ulterior motives. Or are both characters truly trying to do the right thing?

I know that Cyan might throw us a curve, but I really wonder why they would pit one of the stars of Myst against a more unknown character.

Either way, of course I'm going to buy it and bash my head with it! LOL Just wanted others opinions.

Thanks

Mowog
07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Lessee here... Okay, try this:

If we choose Esher, Yeesha's power will be diminished; meaning that when she someday returns and attempts to rally support for a spiritual restoration of D'ni, too few followers will show up to support the work, and Uru Live will come to a premature and unfortunate end.

Woo, makes me dizzy thinking about that one.

JustBrett
07-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by compucat35:
We know from later on in time (POTS, etc.)
We don't know that PotS is later in time than Myst V. My own belief is that M5 will take place after Uru:CC.

mszv
07-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Post away compucat35 - happy to see you here, and welcome!

Interesting comments. The games, so far, generally have two choices - the "good choice" and the "back choice". I can't remember, did Myst Revelation have more than two choices?

What would be interesting is if the choices were just....choices, not good or bad per se, but different choices. Still, from all that I've read, that doesn't seem to be the case in this game. I bet it will be a "good choice" and a "bad choice".

compucat35
07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks mszv, it's nice to have a place to discuss myst...many people I talk to "heard" of the original myst, but have no interest after that point!

Yeah...I don't know the timing of when EOA will occur, tho since it was to tie in the other 4, I assummed it would be before Uru. HOPEFULLY, this demo may shed some light. We can only hope.

As far as Yeesha is concerned, here was my problem. Bare with me on my logic. Let's say Yeesha is the wrong choice. If it occurs before Uru, then anything we do afterwards in Uru with Yeesha would also be wrong. And let's say if Atrus is in it, then if we choose her, we find out at the end of the game from him that we should not have chosen her?

Now,if it occurs after Uru, then we went on a wild goose chase in Uru for someone we find out later we should never have trusted. I'm sure Cyan has to make both sides a little convincing.

In either case, as long as at the end I'm not (a) trapped in a book, (b) shot by a Rivenese guard, (c) chased by a hammer-wielding madman, or (d) shot by an arrow, I'll be happy! LOL

On a side note, wouldn't it be funny if she is the wrong choice, and tries to kill us. That would make 2 games in a row in which some "form" of Yeesha kills us!

Just my $.02

Coronagold
07-24-2005, 08:27 PM
What will the DRC have to do with this game? Will they even be mentioned? Maybe hinted at in a future event? Or is it in a past tense?

Boyue65
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Hey, it's me.

I happen to believe we'll be back to the Myst decision: there will seem to be a very binary, Esher / Yeesha decision, and that there will be a middle ground decision that is the "correct" one. From what little we've seen of the game, and what small bits we know, Yeesha and Esher represent two extreme beliefs. Finding that middle ground is probably gonna be the core of the game.

Oh, and we only had the decision between Sirrus and Achenar in Myst 4. There was no middle ground there.

realXCV
07-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Boyue65:

Oh, and we only had the decision between Sirrus and Achenar in Myst 4. There was no middle ground there.

You could also choose none of them

gimponaballandc
07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
It is still possible for ysssha to be the wrong choice without devaluing uru. In uru she talks about the pride etc that destroyed the d'ni and how she "for longest time" was caught up in the power and pride.

compucat35
07-28-2005, 05:29 AM
If EOA follows Riven or Revelation, then doing noting gets you killed anyway!

JustBrett
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks to a short blurb in the October issue of PC Gamer magazine, we now have more information on the plot and the choices we may have to face. WARNING! BIG SPOILERS AHEAD!

PC Gamer says: "At the outset, you're greeted by Atrus' adult daughter, Yeesha, whom we last saw as a bright-eyed little girl in Myst IV. Atrus is dead, and judging by her wacked-out monologues and diaries, Yeesha is halfway to Crazytown. A second character, Esher, also shows up as a guide. He has tried to undo the wrong of Yeesha's family and failed. Your goal is to collect four mystical slates that will ultimately help you decide the fate of the lost D'ni civilization."
Hmmm. What wrong could Yeesha's family have done? Esher must disapprove of something done by either Atrus or Catherine, since Sirrus/Achenar/Gehn were locked away long before Atrus managed to re-enter D'ni.