PDA

View Full Version : Banned!?

hughlb2
12-12-2004, 03:13 AM
Has anybody been unexpectedly banned over the last few days? I believe WTE_Ibis posted regarding this problem too.

The reason I ask is that I was banned a couple of days ago, which made no sense as I haven't posted for weeks. I was unable to access any Ubisoft forum for the last 48 hours. I sent an email to Ubi, but didn't get a response. Anyway, I checked just now and I can access all the forums again.

Anybody else have anything strange like this happen over the last few days?

Mod's, do you know whats been going on?

hughlb2
12-12-2004, 03:13 AM
Has anybody been unexpectedly banned over the last few days? I believe WTE_Ibis posted regarding this problem too.

The reason I ask is that I was banned a couple of days ago, which made no sense as I haven't posted for weeks. I was unable to access any Ubisoft forum for the last 48 hours. I sent an email to Ubi, but didn't get a response. Anyway, I checked just now and I can access all the forums again.

Anybody else have anything strange like this happen over the last few days?

Mod's, do you know whats been going on?

Tully__
12-12-2004, 03:37 AM
If you're on dial up it's probable that a ban on another user on the same ISP has been banned and you've been caught in the fallout when your IP addresses rotated. Bearcat99 is looking into the WTE case, you may wish to PT him with your ISP details to see if it's related.

tjaika1910
12-12-2004, 03:46 AM
I registreted a long time ago (IL2 original), and was never able to enter ubisoft on that login. Changed password and things looked OK, but no, I could not enter. Newer posted or even logged in.

Made a new login recently (had to use a new email adress) and now it seems ok. This could probably happen to many who cannot enter and adress the problem in public.

hughlb2
12-12-2004, 03:47 AM
@ Tully

I have an ADSL connection, i'm not sure if this makes a difference. I will certainly contact Bearcat99 if this problem happens again, thanks for letting me know.

WTE_Sikshoota
12-12-2004, 05:00 AM
S` Hughlb2

Sikshoota here m8, it happened to me as well. Ibis kindly posted a query on my behalf & between Tully & Bearcat99 they were looking into it as well.

Thanks very much to both of these Gentlemen for their efforts. In the end I'm still at a loss as to why this occured, but no matter now, we're back eh.

I'm also on BB & so its not the dial up issue here either. As Bearcat indicated, ubi showed 23 of us sharing the same IP?

Anyway, problem solved... although I was getting withdrawals there for a while lol.

Again, Thx to Ibis, Tully & Bearcat99! Nice to know were not always just another 'number'!

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Sik

hughlb2
12-12-2004, 05:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Sikshoota:
S` Hughlb2

Sikshoota here m8, it happened to me as well. Ibis kindly posted a query on my behalf & between Tully & Bearcat99 they were looking into it as well.

Thanks very much to both of these Gentlemen for their efforts. In the end I'm still at a loss as to why this occured, but no matter now, we're back eh.

I'm also on BB & so its not the dial up issue here either. As Bearcat indicated, ubi showed 23 of us sharing the same IP?

Anyway, problem solved... although I was getting withdrawals there for a while lol.

Again, Thx to Ibis, Tully & Bearcat99! Nice to know were not always just another 'number'!

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Sik <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Withdrawls, heh tell me about it. Ubi publishes half the games I own, so having access to these forums is a necessity. I'm just glad its fixed and its good to know we didn't get banned on purpose...we didn't right?!http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Propwash
12-12-2004, 06:40 AM
How odd, I have never been banned.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Tully__
12-12-2004, 06:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Propwash:
How odd, I have never been banned.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure if you speak nicely to one of the moderators they'll arrange it for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

antifreeze
12-12-2004, 07:00 AM
On a slightly different tack, I don't mind the banning that goes on here at all, but I wish the mods were more consistent. I got banned for a week (and the offending post was deleted) for trying to help a guy out had just bought the game, but whos CD player couldn't read disk2; I mentioned 'the unmentionable' purely as a way of troubleshooting his problem.

After a week I came back on the forums, and a quick search showed that there were at least ten other posts mentioning 'the unmentionable', some in much worse context than I had posted in. I know modding isn't an easy thing to do, but I think consistency is important to avoid developing a bad name for yourselves.

That one incident caused me to move to the SimHQ forums, and actually I think they are much better than here in terms of content and atmosphere, so really the mod did me a favour in the long run.
But now I only drop in here occasionally, and I will certainly not help anyone to any great extent anymore on this forum, which is a shame considering over 380 of my posts in the last year or so were trying to help players (remembering that another 600 similar posts were lost when the forums changed a while back).

Maybe mods should develop written guidelines to help them decide about banning? Maybe two mods should both agree on banning before it happens? In my opinion, when there are multiple mods for a forum, leaving discretion solely to individuals is going to lead to confusion, criticism and allegations of unfairness, bias or incompetence.

Tully__
12-12-2004, 07:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antifreeze:
After a week I came back on the forums, and a quick search showed that there were at least ten other posts mentioning 'the unmentionable'... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mods are volunteers working on an "as available" basis worked in between their real jobs, flying and familty time and can't hope to spot every single infraction. As far as the coverage they provide allows, they're very consistent.

Lucius_Esox
12-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Yes it has happened to me twice. I am on dialup at the mo and thought that it must be an IP issue because I'm so polite to everyone. Ughh.

-HH-Quazi
12-12-2004, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antifreeze:
On a slightly different tack, I don't mind the banning that goes on here at all, but I wish the mods were more consistent. I got banned for a week (and the offending post was deleted) for trying to help a guy out had just bought the game, but whos CD player couldn't read disk2; I mentioned 'the unmentionable' purely as a way of troubleshooting his problem.

After a week I came back on the forums, and a quick search showed that there were at least ten other posts mentioning 'the unmentionable', some in much worse context than I had posted in. I know modding isn't an easy thing to do, but I think consistency is important to avoid developing a bad name for yourselves.

That one incident caused me to move to the SimHQ forums, and actually I think they are much better than here in terms of content and atmosphere, so really the mod did me a favour in the long run.
But now I only drop in here occasionally, and I will certainly not help anyone to any great extent anymore on this forum, which is a shame considering over 380 of my posts in the last year or so were trying to help players (remembering that another 600 similar posts were lost when the forums changed a while back).

Maybe mods should develop written guidelines to help them decide about banning? Maybe two mods should both agree on banning before it happens? In my opinion, when there are multiple mods for a forum, leaving discretion solely to individuals is going to lead to confusion, criticism and allegations of unfairness, bias or incompetence. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tis good to know. You and I have traveled the same road. For the same reason. And made the same move to SimHQ. I also noticed threads with the unmentionable mentioned when I was released from the UBI jail. What I can't understand is that if it is that big of a deal, then UBI can force that web site not to publish. The file does belong to them, eh? But when release dates for the game(s) and the *@$#^ coincide, makes me think it isn't all that important and that UBI is in agreement with someone.

I've sent emails with this question to UBI with no response. Go figure. But like you, I was banned for attempting to help a m8. No malice intended. And UBI allows it to remain published.

Plus, what is good for you and I don't seem to be good for others mentioning the unmentionable. A warning and a few days would have sufficed. I was sentenced to 10 days. I'm no hard head. And I have only tried to be helpful around here, not stirring or participating in skud or trolling. But none of that is taken into consideration.

I understand from inquiries made by my squad mates that BearCat and Crazy Ivan agreed to try to find out info on who did the banning and sentencing. But I didn't want them to cause themselves any grief. I appreciated the offer though.

I'm still a bit ticked. I'll never spend any more of my time answering or trying to help m8's in the help forum any longer. I've ran into so many questions from m8's today asking questions I could have answered. But the powers that be around here doesn't appreciate the efforts made, plus, they will eventually get someone to answer their questions anyway. I will visit for the occasional read, and post, from time to time though. The time away actually gave me a chance to find another outlet for me to discuss this game and actually answer questions from m8's with problems I am familiar with.

antifreeze
12-12-2004, 06:30 PM
&gt;.. can't hope to spot every single infraction.
&gt; As far as the coverage they provide allows,
&gt; they're very consistent.

Fair enough. I didn't expect any of the mods or their clique to agree with me really. But just to clarify, my point wasn't that mods were missing threads. More that they appear to approach problems differently. What one mod laughed off today will get you banned by another tomorrow. That's the impression I get, anyway.