PDA

View Full Version : Need Big Time HELP!!

drsmith
05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
I have been flying IL-2 for about 5 years and NEVER had this problem: I had IL-2 1946 with all the current patches installed when the disc first became available. I also have STAB installed to have accurate aircraft markings.

I have always started the sim after inserting the IL-2 1946 disc and clicking on STAB. Never a problem....now, suddenly, I cannot get the sim to play at all. I cannot get into the game to check the "difficulty" settings, if that would matter. Could there possably be something in the Stab Settings that prevent the game starting?

I have disabled STAB and still the game will not start using only the disc. Again, that is unusual. When disc is inserted , I get the Auto Play window and I click on "Run setup.exe". This should start it but I get a very small disc appearing for a second or two. Usually the game will load and start after this. But nothing happens.

In STAB when I click "Launch 1946", still nothing happens. I am at a total loss as to how to fix this because all other games start up as they should when I insert the disc.

PLEASE, any suggestions will be really appreciated!

Woke_Up_Dead
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Two really simple things first, sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence here: have you tried starting the game without the disk? I don't think I ever played it with the disk in the drive, I always just hit the shortcut to the .exe file. Also, have you checked to see if the disk didn't become scratched?

M2morris
05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:
Two really simple things first, sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence here: have you tried starting the game without the disk? I don't think I ever played it with the disk in the drive, I always just hit the shortcut to the .exe file. Also, have you checked to see if the disk didn't become scratched?
Yeah thats the first thing I thought of too, then:
Do you have kids?
If so...... interogate-them using water board method.

Xiolablu3
05-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Have you added a new DVD drive?

IIRC, some IL2 1946 disks dont read too well, and this was a problem when it first came out.

There are ways around it. Check your pms.

Bearcat99
05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Wasn't a No CD exe officially added in one the 3.xx incarnations of the sim?

Also.. your drive could be going south.. I was doing an upgrade and was reinstalling my OS.. and it was completely wonky.. sometimes it woldnt have IE.. sometimes certain dlls would be missing.. I installed it several times and each time there was something else wrong.. I finally swapped drives and bingo.

Ba5tard5word
05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
You don't need the disc to run the game unless I'm missing something. Go to where you have it installed in program files and try running it there. Also if you have changed the screen resolution to something your monitor can't display the game won't start when you click on the .exe

Xiolablu3
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry, you guys are probably correct about the nocd.

Drsmith, which version (patch) have you got installed?

drsmith
05-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I am now beginning to get the game to play but am having trouble with my screen resolution. In STAB I go to OPTIONS and select GRAPHICS. I then select 1680x1050x32 Widescreen. At the bottom of the window are the choices to click on. (1)OK (2)CANCEL (3)APPLY OK and CANCEL are in black print and APPLY is a light gray. To click on APPLY does not apply my selection. To click on ok changes my widescreen selection to a lesser option once the game starts. The resolution will go to 640x480. I used to have widescreen.

How do I get the APPLY selection from non-functional gray to black so that APPLY will hold the Widescreen selection? I'm stummped!

drsmith
06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
My verson is 4.09b1m. It has always run great, but I cannot control the aircraft with the joystick. I have joystick checked in the options but there is no response.

Any suggestions?

steve_v
06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Wasn't a No CD exe officially added in one the 3.xx incarnations of the sim?

No there wasn't.

However, the 1946 securom version does need the disc in the drive for verification. There is a fix stickied in community help to solve the Win7 failure to start problem. If his is the US release, the disc was only needed for install.

The OP appears to not have a complete understanding of setup and STAB. Maybe the tutorials at mission4today would be a good place to start.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php

Also, a nocd as first response to every problem is a very sad approach.