PDA

View Full Version : OT: Those danged Messenger pop-ups!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:02 AM
I'm getting tons of messenger pop-up adds. Mostly for software that claims to stop them.

Someone posted directions on how to turn off Messenger. I had to reinstall my OS since that time. Can someone please post them again? Thanks.

BTW, I'm running Win XP.

Regards,

SkyChimp

http://members.cox.net/rowlandparks/SkyChimp2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:02 AM
I'm getting tons of messenger pop-up adds. Mostly for software that claims to stop them.

Someone posted directions on how to turn off Messenger. I had to reinstall my OS since that time. Can someone please post them again? Thanks.

BTW, I'm running Win XP.

Regards,

SkyChimp

Sgt.Nathan
08-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Services
Right click on messanger and click properties
Change "startup type" to disable then click stop

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:13 AM
even better ... How do you un-install Messenger ??

ya boot time will be less ( only any good if ya dont use it )

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:13 AM
If you have XP Home Edition you go to....

Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services....

Then you right click something called "Messenger". It is not MSN Messenger and will not mess up MSN Messenger to disable it. Go to properties and then go to the tab that says, "log on" and disable the mother and hit apply. The next time you reboot, it will not start again. If you want the messages to also stop now, higlight messenger and hit stop.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Here is a very helpfull site:

http://www.grc.com

Has very nice utilities to make your computer a bit safer.

Here is the exact URL http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Message Edited on 08/15/0303:34AM by Bwild

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:03 AM
download ad aware 6.0 from www.download.com (http://www.download.com) will get rid of them all for good

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:28 AM
This worked for me.

Navigate to C:\Windows\inf
Open sysoc.inf
Find the line that reads msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
Change it to read
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Windows Messenger will appear in Add/Remove Windows Components section of Add/Remove Programs accessible through Control Panel.

http://www.davisarts.com/bluenose51atxflag%20copy.jpg
SMOKE'EM FAST, BUY ANOTHER ROUND!

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:33 AM
Actually LeadSplitter, he's not talking about a pop-up bot. He's talking about those grey message windows that are supposed to be used by network administrators.

Still, leadsplitter brings up a valid subject; spyware. Yes, go to LavaSoft and download, update and run it to remove some spyware. then go find a freeware called Spybot. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE W32Spybot virus. Download the freeware called spybot that does the same job as Ad-Aware. Why?

Because freeware is not free and a friend who works for a spammer in their IT department told me that they pay companies like LavaSoft for a free pass by their Ad-Aware filter. Also, Ad-Aware has it's own spyware. Sybot has it's own spyware as well. They both warn you that removing their bot will reduce effectiveness of their scan. I've found this not to be true. Spybot found over 250 spyware programs that Ad-Aware missed. So run an updated Ad-Aware and then run an updated Spybot to get most of the spyware, including Microsofts' spyware removed from your Computer! then run an updated version of both at least once a week, more often if you have other family members surfing the net. Why?

Because spyware runs in the background, stealing confidential information from your computer and dumping it to a database, then watches and reports everything you do with your computer and then sends your activities and data back to their database. The most obnoxious ones install a pop-up bot that gives you pop-ups every time you hit certain words like, car, vacation, girls fer fun!!! etc. Not only does this rob system overhead, but also network bandwidth as well. Roto-Root out the spyware and you will gain frames per second in IL-2 forgotten Battles, it's that harmful to your computer.

Remember, the internet is not exactly a box of candies, but you never really know what you get!

Cpt.LoneRanger
08-15-2003, 08:30 AM
If you want to stop this messenger-thingie easily, try this program:

XPAntiSpy3

Search for it with google and you'll find it. It's not that large to download, but it will give you the options to disable several of these nice little features, that help Micro$oft to access you machine, gain information from the systems-components, hooking up to the internet, without any sign.

You can also disable the Messenger on startup, or even uninstall it. There's also an option to not start it together with Outlook any more, if you got this problem as well.

greets
Cpt.LoneRanger

http://www.cptloneranger.privat.t-online.de/CptLoneRanger.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 03:41 AM
I forgot my manners.

Thanks all!

Regards,

SkyChimp

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 07:40 AM
I have started to get them now, looks like it's tweak time.

No1RAAF_Pourshot

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/CAC-15.jpg

How many people think this is a p-51/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:16 AM
I know how much of a pian these pop-ups are. I was using Norton Firewall and still they got through. I disabled messenger, and still they turned up.
The fix.....easy....uninstall Norton Firewall, and get zone alarm. The messenger spam, even if you aren't running it, gets into your system usually through ports 135-137. Zone alarm successfully blocks these, wheras Norton (and others) does not.
I found this out after installing 3 different firewalls. I actually admire the ingenuity of these people, but only if I can disable it! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Like the man said, a decent firewall is the answer, disabling the messenger service doesn't stop them.
Sygate does it for me...

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Guys, this is THE way to shut messenger down and UNINSTALL IT.

1) Close MSN Messenger (right hand click on icon ans stop); make sure it's not in the system tray.

2) Click the start button, then click on Run.

3)Type the following into the run box:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

4) Click OK and a little box will appear deleting the files associated with MSN Messenger.

5)Reboot, and the PC will give you a message saying all is done and that is it.

No need to edit registry's or go into services.

regards,

Cpt-Madcowz
Comsa (http://www.comsa.co.uk)

"When the hunter comes, the tiger runs with the deer."

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 11:05 AM
I've found that this site: http://www.blackviper.com has one of the best Services Guides and which ones do what, that I've seen. I used his guide and closed a bunch of crap that wasn't needed.

Definitely freed up more RAM and gave me a performance increase. It's an excellent guide and has gotten lots of kudos. I love the table you can just scroll down in the guide and take care of all those MSisBS spy services./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Wha? I`ve been getting this idiotic pop-up for a few days also. My anti-virus misses it. Spy bot don`t see it (even upgraded). Adaware doesn`t see it. I was gonna format my PC anyway. Kill it for good.

Isn`t it annoying? It`s like having the mafia come to you and say `You need protection,`
You say, `I don`t need protection.`
They smash up your house, `You need protection` over and over again.

Is this a virus? Or some company that`s found a loop hole. If it`s a company- well one more reason not to trust them.
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I have XP Pro and used Cpt-Madcowz method as mentioned in this thread, painless, simple and only requires a re-boot.

thanks for the information and hope it works out for others too.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Yum_Yum wrote:
- Hello,
-
- I have XP Pro and used Cpt-Madcowz method as
- mentioned in this thread, painless, simple and only
- requires a re-boot.
-
- thanks for the information and hope it works out for
- others too.

Well it`s not worked for me. It just popped but. Took longer, but it came. Formatting time!!

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 12:43 PM
This used to be the bain of my life and i hated it. A few months ago i found out how to fix it. Since then ive never ever had another message again.

I posted this upon the RAF 74 squadron public site.

S!

Ok recently i have been inundated with damn messages from people spamming me. You dont need to have anything open and in fact can be in the middle of playing online and all of a sudden you get some stupid message about making money, sex, pills - you name it. Usual crap!

What happens is they detect that a computer is connected to the internet and send the message to the ip address.

Anyway i found this on the net. And im posting it up.

here is the address because there is several pics that didnt come through on the paste.

http://www.updatexp.com/messenger_service_spam.html

Messenger Service Spam -

End It Now!

Messenger Service Spam - What Is It...
A new kind of menace is invading the PC's of many home users and it is called "Messenger Service Spam"

You can be sitting at your PC, and as long as you have a connection to the Internet that is active, you might get a box that pops up on your screen asking you to phone a premium rate number, apply for a diploma etc.... Thousands of a Messenger Service Spam popup are being sent by spammers each day.

You do not have any particular software open at the time to be sent one of these spam messages!

How Did The Message Get Here?

Every Windows XP (and 2000) machine has a "service" running behind the scenes called the "Messenger" service. This is a normal part of the operating system that is used by network administrators like myself to send messages to other users on a company network.

For example if I want to ask a user to shut down their PC I could open a command prompt and type the request using the "net send" command. The following image shows the command being sent to a user on my internal network at the IP address 192.168.254.37

On the users PC they get the message delivered as a standard Windows dialogue box:

As you can see this is a very handy feature for administrating networks! I have been able to accomplish this because the "Messenger" service allows the "net send" function to communicate across networks.

Is This Limited To Net Send Commands?

No... Another function can use the "Messenger" service to communicate across networks and these messages are called "Alerter's". If you have ever received a message from your UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that it has passed a self test, or went onto battery for a moment due to a spike in the power supply - then you have received an "Alerter" message.

So How Is This Used By Spammers?

Firstly it is worth pointing out that this is NOT a problem related in any way to the Windows Messenger or MSN, clients (as many people seem to believe...)

What the spammers are doing is scanning thousands of IP addresses (the unique number your ISP gives to your PC whilst you are on the Internet) and checking to see if any of the PC's are open on UDP ports 135, 137 and 138 - TCP ports 135, 139 and 445.

When the spammers software detects your PC is running the "Messenger" service on these ports you get sent the Messenger Service Spam..

Can I Stop The Messenger Service Spam?

Yes... Here are the Instructions:

Instructions:
Go to the START menu, Select Run and type in services.msc and click OK.

Now a new window will appear with lots of "services" on the right hand side...

Scroll down and find the Messenger service, select it, right click it and choose properties.

Under Startup Type select Manual. (or Disabled)

Then click the Stop button.

Then click the Apply button.

Then click the OK button.

Messenger Service Spam can no longer be received on your machine....

However you will now no longer receive legitimate net send or alerter messages either, but for most folk this is not going to be a problem. If you are using a NAT router to access the Internet then you will be immune to these Messenger Service Spam popups as they can only be received by public IP addresses and NOT the private IP addresses that NAT routers use for internal networks.

Likewise if you are using Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) only the "gateway" PC should get the Messenger Service Spam popups as the other PC will be getting private IP addresses from the ICS service... (Just in case you are wondering private IP addresses usually look something like: 192.168.xxx.xxx)

Also installing a personal "Firewall" on your PC will offer you protection too!

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 01:08 PM
I was about to format, but will give this a go, RAF74_Taipan , thanx.

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:00 PM
SeaFireLIV,

re my instructions on how to stop the messenger service (thank you once again Microsoft for leaving out the uninstall button!)

Which part didn't work? I have tried this on many machines now, 2k, XP etc and it never fails, as long as its stopped (right hand click on icon in taskbar) before typing the run command.

The above instructions (previous post to this) will stop the service running, which is half the battle, but won't uninstall it.

If you need any further help, just PM me, unfortunatley for me, I look after a hybrid network of Windoes and Unix machines so have quite a biot of experience on this one,

regards,

Cpt-Madcowz
Comsa (http://www.comsa.co.uk)

"When the hunter comes, the tiger runs with the deer."

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:05 PM
I hate MSN (I hate pop-ups too /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ).

in winxp you can disable it's use (also in outlook), but that didn't prevent MSN from loading itself nonetheless.

upon noticing that, I immediatly began a pogrom to cleanse all that is evil on my PC (MSN).

I just deleted the .exe (cant remember what it's name exactly it was) and sience I never have the problem again.

damn MS(N)!

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Cpt-Madcowz wrote:

"SeaFireLIV,

re my instructions on how to stop the messenger service (thank you once again Microsoft for leaving out the uninstall button!)

Which part didn't work? I have tried this on many machines now, 2k, XP etc and it never fails, as long as its stopped (right hand click on icon in taskbar) before typing the run command.

The above instructions (previous post to this) will stop the service running, which is half the battle, but won't uninstall it.

If you need any further help, just PM me, unfortunatley for me, I look after a hybrid network of Windoes and Unix machines so have quite a biot of experience on this one,

regards,"

Well, it came up with an error message (didn`t note what it was), but appeared to work- it seemed to do something. So I restarted, but up appeared again. I`ve tried RAF74_Taipan`s suggestion and it seems gone now.

SeaFireLIV.