PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen after extended play

DrLecter1231
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any similar prioblem? The game plays fine for an hour or more then suddenly screen just goes black and monitor goes to sleep. I've considered overheating but on checking the GPU upon reboot its at 61 C and Proc temps are fine.

DrLecter1231
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any similar prioblem? The game plays fine for an hour or more then suddenly screen just goes black and monitor goes to sleep. I've considered overheating but on checking the GPU upon reboot its at 61 C and Proc temps are fine.

AldirLol
06-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Did you try not turning the monitor off?

DrLecter1231
06-12-2008, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AldirLol:
Did you try not turning the monitor off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex have an opinion?

LaurenIsSoMosh
06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrLecter1231:
Anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex have an opinion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Stop the insults, please. You won't solve your problem any faster by insulting others, only cause more problems.

BTOG46
06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
If you post a full dxdiag here:- Assassin's Creed Community Help and Advice (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/4721051016) someone may spot the cause, but if the screen goes black and the sound still works, that's usually overheating on the GPU or video ram, or possibly a video driver problem.

caswallawn_2k7
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
chances are if your GPU is still at 61c when the computer comes on it has been alot higher as loading into windows uses next to no graphics card power meaning the temp would drop like a stone. but if your card idles at 61C you need to check the heat sink on it and possibly clean it with compressed air as a graphics card should never idle much above 40c or you will get problems.

DrLecter1231
06-12-2008, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrLecter1231:
Anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex have an opinion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Stop the insults, please. You won't solve your problem any faster by insulting others, only cause more problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO insult intended, I just presumed the original poster was trying to be a smart a*s, which the comment does appear to convey.

To everyone else, I'll have a look at the heatsink.

Cheers.

AldirLol
06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
If I tried to be a smart-*** I would've used ''Toast in the disc drive''...

dacoolstas
06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
what video card are you using?

DrLecter1231
06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Its a geforce 8800GTS 320MB, not a bad card and it seems to idle at 54 degrees now, that was a particularly warm day. Temp is something I'm suspecting since it's a fairly graphically demanding game.
I'll see if it happens again or not and post a dxdiag if it does.

Thanks again.

e6600
2 GB Ram
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB

DrLecter1231
06-13-2008, 06:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
chances are if your GPU is still at 61c when the computer comes on it has been alot higher as loading into windows uses next to no graphics card power meaning the temp would drop like a stone. but if your card idles at 61C you need to check the heat sink on it and possibly clean it with compressed air as a graphics card should never idle much above 40c or you will get problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I browsed the web and it would appear that 55-60 degress idle for my card is perfectly normal. Though on a hot day under heavy load it may have just pushed it significantly above that i.e. 20 degrees or thereabouts. I'll keep my eyes on it.

spazzoo1025
06-13-2008, 08:10 AM
lmfao Aldir

dacoolstas
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
We'll i had this probelm once, i was using a 9600GT and it ended up to be the card, but i guess this is not your case.

Anywho, you might also want to suspect your Power source, see if it is giving enough power on the 12V rail. A 8800GT requires at least 26 amps i believe.

@spazzo: lol, he got banned already, lmao.

DrLecter1231
06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dacoolstas:
We'll i had this probelm once, i was using a 9600GT and it ended up to be the card, but i guess this is not your case.

Anywho, you might also want to suspect your Power source, see if it is giving enough power on the 12V rail. A 8800GT requires at least 26 amps i believe.

@spazzo: lol, he got banned already, lmao. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah the PS was another consideration. This current comp is a modified dell sicne I was too lazy to build it, it's a dell Power Supply but it is rated to handle an 8800GTS and upwards, plus this has nevr happended with anyother game and if it was PS I would be inclined to think that these problems would occur straight off.

Thanks for the input guys/girls, well all except for that one idiot.

caswallawn_2k7
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
technicaly the power suply is only used as much as the hardware so if you were on the limit you wouldnt get problems till the full hardware kicked in. also a PSU may be rated for a 8800 but if you put other high power hard ware in it will make you need a stronger hard driver so will the number of hard drives, disc drives, PCI(e) cards and fans. on a AMD 5200 and geforce 8800 with 2 hard drives 1 dvd drive, a powerd sound card and 7 case fans it strugles with a 560W PSU just got a 750W to put in it.