PDA

View Full Version : A6M Flight Model

Ijnpilot
01-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Although I have recently Purchased PF and have had Forgotten Battles with the Ace expansion for a while, I noticed that the flight model for the Zero is anything but the "manuverability undreamed of by contemporary carrier based fighters". I am probably comparing apples to oranges, but the CFS2 Zero is far more manuverable than the Zero in PF, and the CFS2 Zero can climb much better than the PF Zero. It seems to be as manuverable as the Wildcat, which does not seem right to me.

I am glad the 3.01 patch fixed the problem with the engine cutting out under negative g's.

Has anyone else found the Zero to not be what they expected?

Ijnpilot
01-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Although I have recently Purchased PF and have had Forgotten Battles with the Ace expansion for a while, I noticed that the flight model for the Zero is anything but the "manuverability undreamed of by contemporary carrier based fighters". I am probably comparing apples to oranges, but the CFS2 Zero is far more manuverable than the Zero in PF, and the CFS2 Zero can climb much better than the PF Zero. It seems to be as manuverable as the Wildcat, which does not seem right to me.

I am glad the 3.01 patch fixed the problem with the engine cutting out under negative g's.

Has anyone else found the Zero to not be what they expected?

Fritzofn
01-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Note to Ijnpilotta:

CFS is made by MS....nough said

if u want a heavenly turnfighter, the Hayabusa (KI-43) is all u need,

i got a kill ratio in Hayabusa vs. F4U Corsair
of 19 - 78 and this is only Online fighting :-)

ImpStarDuece
01-17-2005, 12:41 AM
At slow speeds the zero will turn inside any monowing fighter in the game with the exception of the ki-43 and the I-16 (and the 229 but lets not go there).

In a turning fight it eats pretty much anything for breakfast. US, British, German or Soviet. Combat flaps and boost add even further to its abilities. I use some judicious increases of power to 'drag' the zero through tight, low speed turns.

At higher speeds though its manouverabuility is not nearly as good. Its roll rate slows dramatically. Elevator and alieron authority at speeds above about 250 mph are reduced dramatically.

It doesnt have much of a chance at (very) high altiitude either. The Zeros wing isnt the best for thin air (above 20,000- 22000 feet) and its radial engine is a little anemic really. Its so light that this didnt matter initailly but a lack of horsepower means that the Zero is in strife after the end of 1942.

If you like to turn and burn, (ie fly round and round in circles) then the Zero is probably the best combination of speed, armament, climb and manouveability in the game for my money. I haven't flown PF yet but the Zeros in FB 2.04 are a joy to fly and a consistent threat to any plane and any pilot in a low speed, low altitude regieme.

Ijnpilot
01-25-2005, 12:08 AM
This post probably got pushed towards the back of the forum for a reason, but....

This seems to be something exclusive to my computer, but every plane seems to fly admirably. Except for the Zero. It's rate of roll to the left is quite paltry and it climbs quite terribly. It's manoevrability even with combat flaps and boost is about as good as a wildcat.

The P-40 even seems to be better in the areas that the Zero should be. The Ki-43 on the otherhand is exactly the plane I expected it to be.

I thought at first it was my stick (Logitech Force 3d) but all aircraft are responsive. Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe it's a glitch with the install.

Also, does anyone know how to make that dropping bit (in front of the sight, that drops down when the game loads) go up again?

VW-IceFire
01-25-2005, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ijnpilot:
This post probably got pushed towards the back of the forum for a reason, but....

This seems to be something exclusive to my computer, but every plane seems to fly admirably. Except for the Zero. It's rate of roll to the left is quite paltry and it climbs quite terribly. It's manoevrability even with combat flaps and boost is about as good as a wildcat.

The P-40 even seems to be better in the areas that the Zero should be. The Ki-43 on the otherhand is exactly the plane I expected it to be.

I thought at first it was my stick (Logitech Force 3d) but all aircraft are responsive. Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe it's a glitch with the install.

Also, does anyone know how to make that dropping bit (in front of the sight, that drops down when the game loads) go up again? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
When we first saw the A6M5 and A6M2 in AEP when they first came about I tried it out and thought...mm...the roll rate is really lackluster on this plane and it doesn't feel very manuverable at all. But I took it out in some dogfight servers and discovered the Zero's awesome combination of 20mm firepower (which the Oscar does not have) and excellent turn rate. Since then the turn rate has increased and so has the roll rate...the Zero is very nimble and very manuverable but like any plane in this series it has its quirks and once you get used to them its fine.

The Zero is a heck of a turner. Better than the Wildcat for sure (although the Wildcats not a bad turner and neither was the P-40). Basically, if you're skilled, you can hold the Zero in a tight turn that a P-40 and Wildcat pilot cannot compete with. The P-40 especially gets really sluggish while the Zero is still superb. This is the balance between these two fighters...don't like the mistakenly bad opinion of the P-40 or Wildcat in terms of manuverability fool you. Both of these planes were agile aircraft...but not as good as the Zero.

Also, the AI cheats, so ignore them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p1ngu666
01-25-2005, 09:21 AM
i do think they should abit better, the 5c,62,63 are all pretty bad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Daiichidoku
01-25-2005, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
At slow speeds the zero will turn inside any monowing fighter in the game with the exception of the ki-43 and the I-16 (and the 229 but lets not go there). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A6M2 WILL outturn I-16, A6M3 not sure, but wouldnt be surprised

Havent been in too many A6M2 vs Goth fights, but seem just about the same

the entire A6M5 series sucks, way too heavy to be a great tnb'r but still not fast enough...and the limited cannon ammo in the M2s and M3 is enough...only use it at extreme close range with sure shots....more than enough 7.7 to do the job in a down-low turnfight

VW-IceFire
01-25-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't know...I think the A6M5a is the best of the bunch for me...

Blackdog5555
01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
IJNpilot may have a point. Info is tough to get but My research shows that the A6m2 could do a 360 in @6.5 sec. at about 200mph. I could only get it to do a 360 in 8 plus sec. so it is a great turner. but maybe a second + off. Way better than the F4F. So its rurn rate is a bit undermodeled. Its roll rate is spot on. but its dive rate is still over modeled. I can still take the plane to almost 400mph and it has the same roll rate and elevator control as the F4F. It should a lawn dart. But all planes are given "Power assisted flight control". Bottom line is the zero is pretty close. I wont discuss it but MSCS2 Zero is way off..fun to fly but not realistic. just remember IJNpilot. the Zeros turn degraded when it went started to go over 200mph. i would take the good with the bad. In slow speed turn fights the zero still rules.

DangerForward
01-25-2005, 12:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I don't know...I think the A6M5a is the best of the bunch for me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I have my best luck in the late war zeros. The little rocket bombs are fun too.

eddiemac0
01-25-2005, 03:17 PM
It would seem to me that the increasing heaviness of the zero (A6M5 and up) wouldn't matter because everything else was just getting heavier with it...

Maple_Tiger
01-25-2005, 03:36 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Ijnpilot
01-25-2005, 08:45 PM
I've been experimenting so more with my tactics, tested the 360 time versus the USN planes and it's good. Perhaps because we aren't in the aircraft we can't tell how well it drags through the turn.

One thing I remember reading is that Saburo Sakai removed the radio from his Zero to save weight, and that Zero's without radios were fairly common. It would be nice to see this modeled.

I've thought about spending my time in a more armored plane, but it doesn't seem to have any effect if a well aimed burst hits the aircraft. Manuverability is the most important feature (IMO) in a fighter. Most probably would disagree with.

This is off topic, but how do you make that dropping bit in front of the gunsight go up?

BSS_Vidar
01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Keep in mind the Zeke had a horendous roll rate, and it got worse as it got faster. However, don't confuse that with turn rate. Once on its side, it could pull turns inside just about anything with elevator authority which also resulted in awesome loop and climb performance due to its light weight.

S!

ImpStarDuece
01-25-2005, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
At slow speeds the zero will turn inside any monowing fighter in the game with the exception of the ki-43 and the I-16 (and the 229 but lets not go there). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A6M2 WILL outturn I-16, A6M3 not sure, but wouldnt be surprised

Havent been in too many A6M2 vs Goth fights, but seem just about the same

the entire A6M5 series sucks, way too heavy to be a great tnb'r but still not fast enough...and the limited cannon ammo in the M2s and M3 is enough...only use it at extreme close range with sure shots....more than enough 7.7 to do the job in a down-low turnfight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not according to Saburo Saki, it won't http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I dont have 'Samurai' (his autobiography) handy as I am at work at the moment but Sakai states that the 1-16 was as nimble as the Claude. Now i'm almost positive that the Claude could turn inside the Zero. I might be wrong though. To quote Lachovin; "Question my ideas. Even I am not sure if i'm right"

Jabberwocky_
01-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Quote :

Ijnpilot - This is off topic, but how do you make that dropping bit in front of the gunsight go up?

To Ijnpilot,

Since everyone is ignoring your initial question about the gunsight, I'll do my best to answer. I don't know of any command that does this, and believe me, I've looked hard as well. I don't think that it's meant to be controlled. You'll have to live with the gunsight cocked to the left.

Cheers,

Jabberwocky

joeap
01-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I'll answer both of you, the gunsight comes up if you get damaged, due to a bug though, your reflector might be ok and the iron sight come up anyway.