PDA

View Full Version : Help with PF+IL2+lock on combo

a106SgtSethiol
10-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I purchased the above game pack and am not real sure about what I need to buy in addition, software wise, or if I can play IL2FB without buying anything more. I did some searching and I know Im not the only one with this but didnt find anyone else asking this question. I am sure Im not the first to ask....all constructive answers are greatly appreciated. Flamers, please find better harder targets to flame....I have better things to do then read your dribble.

tigertalon
10-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Wellcome to the boards.

Firstly, Lock On - Modern Air Combat has NOTHING to do with IL2 sturmovik series and is completely different sim, focusing on a modern jets. You cannot merge the two, they have nothing in common (apart from comming from mother Russia).

This forums are dedicated to IL2 Sturmovik series and to IL2 sturmovik series ONLY.

I understand it can be confusing, so I'll try to explain it briefly. To get everything, that was released for this sim, you'll need next 'components':

Forgotten Battles (covers eastern front)
Aces Expansion pack (covers western front)
Pacific Fighters (covers Pacific theatre obviously)
All the subsequent patches/addons (they need to be installed in the exact order, each of them adds some goodies):
3.03m (free)
4.01m (free)
4.02m (free)
4.03m (free)
4.04m (free)
4.05m (payable addon)

We are all eagerly awaiting next two patches (4.06 and 4.07) which are said to be released in november.

Yes, you can play 'Forgotten Battles' only, without adding additional patches/addons I described above. Still, you probably won't be able to play online much, since I believe nearly all online servers/players have the whole merged giga pack, standing at 4.05 at the moment, and the versions are not compatible.

Hope this helps.

(and btw, nobody is gonna flame you here unless you start provoking and/or acting silly and immature)

Taylortony
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
There is a single patch for IL2Fb on its own, it is here

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm

Playing online you really need to get AEP and PF add on discs as a minimum, as most use that online, the add on discs will need to be patched to 4.04M and you can buy a download called PE2 that is 4.05M, not everyone online uses this and as they are going to release a merged DVD with that and some other new stuff on it I would hold off at the moment.

You can get a DVD that has IL2FB the AEP add on and PF add on it is patched up to 4.04M as standard
(M is patches for the Merged version) It was never released US side of the pond but a couple of places do import it over there, if interested I or someone will dig out the links for you, its not that expensive considering it is 3 games in one more or less.

Dcenginr
10-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I also bought the ultimate flight collection. It is not compatible with FB series.

You can play IL-2 alone, or PF alone, or LOMAC alone.

I was impressed enough with the IL-2 and PF that came with it that I wanted to get the complete IL-2 collection. One of the links on this website takes you to the ubi european site where you can download the IL-2 ultimate collection which includes FB+Aces+PF+Pe2 addon for around $30 I believe (was in euros). You pay with CC then download (took like 5 hours with broadband) like 4-5 CDs worth. It is completely patched to 4.05m (with additional skins and stuff from this website).

Aeronautico
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles (FB, 2003) is basically the "enhanced version" of IL-2 Sturmovik (IL-2, 2001), which is what you purchased. Although EVERYTHING from the latter is included in the former (and missions are one-way compatible), the two are separate titles.
Plain IL-2 is de facto left behind and everybody here refers to the FB series, which includes an expansion pack (Ace Expansion Pack - AEP, 2004), another expansion pack that can be played alone (Pacific Fighters - PF, 2004), yet a further one distributed online (Pe-2 Peshka - Pe-2, 2006), and the last two expansion packs (Sturmoviks over Manchuria and 46) that will be released very soon online and later this year on a DVD (IL-2 Sturmovik: 46) which WILL INCLUDE THE WHOLE SERIES. This is what's best to buy for anybody who's starting the whole series ex novo or misses more than one of the previous installments to complete it, as in your case. You bought a good collection with excellent titles that was certainly worth its money, but UBI crafted it in such a way that anybody willing to complete the series had to buy it all over again. Note that a further and final free add-on is believed to be released around Christmas, which will include lots of contents, both in forms of new flyable planes and new on-line maps.

Enjoy it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Bearcat99
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by a106SgtSethiol:
I purchased the above game pack and am not real sure about what I need to buy in addition, software wise, or if I can play IL2FB without buying anything more. I did some searching and I know Im not the only one with this but didnt find anyone else asking this question. I am sure Im not the first to ask....all constructive answers are greatly appreciated. Flamers, please find better harder targets to flame....I have better things to do then read your dribble.

OK..... I am assuming that you have the Ultimnate Flight Sim Collection, which is IL2, Pacific Fighters, and Lock On. First off all the sims are totally seperate. Secondly, IL2 is NOT compatible with Forgotten Battles.

I would previously have told you to go on and get the IL2 Complete DVD (http://www.gogamer.com/IL-2-Complete-Edition-DVD-Front-Page_stcVVproductId4760175VVcatId444710VVviewprod. htm) and be straight.... and then give your copy of PF to someone else to introduce them to the sim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.. but since hearing about IL2 Sturmovik:46 (http://www.fz.se/artiklar/article.php?id=1458) I recomend that you just suck it up and wait until it (46) is released
and just patch PF according to this guide (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm) and use the same guide to patch IL2 to v1.2... and then in November get Sturmovik:46.. which will make you totally current in the FB universe. In the meantime you wont be able to do much online.... but offline you will be able to familiarize yourself with the sim so that when you do get 46 and can go online.. because 90% or more of the folks in this community will be running 4.07 within 2 weelks of it's release.... gauranteed.... and have some familiarity with the way the sim works. No one flys online at UBI.com... we all go to Hyperlobby (http://hyperfighter.sk/). The @6 weeks that you will spend familiarizing yourself with the IL2 series.... IL2 & PF... will help you and make the transition to FB 4.07 less painfull.

tigertalon
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Ah, now I see, you have "IL-2 Sturmovik", not "IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles", which I assumed in my first post, which might seem confusing beacuse of that... Guys covered it nicely.