PDA

View Full Version : IL2 First Decade Draws To a Close.

ytareh
10-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Someone on another forum asked for advice for beginners and I came up with this :

"Here's my steps/landmarks along a near 10 year journey .

All settings to easiest and try shooting down friendly bombers (dont bother with nonsense/trivialities such as take offs and landings ,limited ammo etc !)Gun
Convergence 200m Max altitude 100-1500m (anything over 2km is for aces only right!?Sure the planes wont even do HALF their mph/kmh up there ?!)

Weeks later!(Of course ground targets can be attacked at any time )

Give the bomber pilots a chance to take evasive action ie not set to Friendly

Then

Give the bomber gunners ammo (ie loadout NOT set to empty)

Try shooting down friendly fighters

Try shooting down enemy fighters with their difficulty set to Novice

Try take offs with external views activated of course!(No landings yet!)

Enjoy game for a year or so !

Try landings

Get used to dogfighting ...(assuming of course you will NEVER keep up with those mad corkscrewing enemy ace fighters !)

Decide to try Cockpit Only view (Realise its way too hard and go back to Externals)

Another 6-12 months pass -picking up a few tricks along the way -nicer stick settings ,convergence maybe down to 150m etc

Try Cockpits View Only again (feel like a complete noob all over )

Go online (feel like a complete noob all over again)

First online kill (genuine adrenaline rush)Venture up to 5km alt

Learn about TRIM

Track IR bought

Getting a few kills online now every month

Convergence down to 100m

Join squad online ,comms (feel like a complete noob all over again)Learn that people actually fly and fight at 7-10km + alt in 'The real World'!!!!!

Plenty of kills !

Wait for SOW:BOB and start all over again ."

ytareh
10-24-2010, 05:10 AM
And heres what I would do differently now :

"Heres how Id do it if I knew then what I know know ...DONT pick up IL2 in Easons !!!LOL Only messing ...

Learn about Trim as soon as possible .
Get Track IR asap
Practice
Enjoy!"

DKoor
10-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
And heres what I would do differently now :

"Heres how Id do it if I knew then what I know know ...DONT pick up IL2 in Easons !!!LOL Only messing ...

Why messing, it's true... bad games aren't worth picking because they are bad, and good ones like this shouldn't be picked because they consume way too much time that you will never get back.

Sorry, I had to... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Spitslayer17
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
If I had it to do over I would have never flown open pit/wonder woman. It was a hard habit to break...

Bankoletti
10-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Doing it again, I'd go online sooner. Join the comms, ask for advice, fly with more experienced fliers out there. People on comms are generally really nice, helpful. I thought I can prepare for serious online flying offline. I was wrong. Well, you do get better at certain aspects like deflection shooting, situational awareness and so on, but you'll still get your rear end served to you on a silver platter in a royal stile no matter how hard and how long you're training before hopping online. That said, I got my first kill before getting killed for the first time online. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif And it was a fighter, not some defenseless cargo or bomber. But in the weeks after, I started to truly undestand the meaning of the term "beginner's luck".

So, for any newbie who might have just got the sim - yes, certainly do your homework offline, learn the basics (as not to bother players on comms with questions like - "what the hell, I can't see the reticule in german aircraft!!!"), but then hop online and on comms as soon as you dare and don't be affraid to ask.

Dance
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Wait for SOW:BOB and start all over again ."

Rinse and repeat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ROXunreal
10-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Spitslayer17:
If I had it to do over I would have never flown open pit/wonder woman. It was a hard habit to break...

Seconded.

I have yet to steal a TrackIR though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

PhantomKira
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm sure the same is true of external target tracking (F4). Without TrackIR though... I feel there's no other option. That and get a good stick. I had the misfortune of loosing the power cable to my Microsoft FFB2, and that stick, without FFB, is damn near useless. I overcontrol waayyy too much because there's absolutely no resistance. Still comfortable as all get out, but not worth a darn in a fight. Oh, and rudders. Trying to track someone with twisted wrist is a joke. Pull the trigger and loose everything, least that's what happens to me.

WTE_Galway
10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spitslayer17:

Seconded.

I have yet to steal a TrackIR though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flying wonderwoman in SOW will be such a waste ...

This weeks update:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/a...id=3733&d=1287754055 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachment.php?attachmentid=3733&d=1287754055)

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/a...id=3741&d=1287754263 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachment.php?attachmentid=3741&d=1287754263)

idonno
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by PhantomKira:
I'm sure the same is true of external target tracking (F4). Without TrackIR though... I feel there's no other option.

There are many people doing quite well locked in their cockpits without TrackIR. Do you feel that you are somehow inferior to them? It just takes practice. Lots of us were flying from the cockpit, exclusively, long before TrackIR existed. Don't sell yourself short.

rfxcasey
10-25-2010, 05:11 AM
Well, you can always try a "free head tracking alternative" if you have the stomach for it. And I don't agree with the statement made concerning starting all over again in SOW because the lessons learned in IL-2 will definitely benefit you in any serious future WW2 or otherwise combat flight simulator in my opinion. There will of course be a learning curve with anything new you pick up though I anticipate it being very short lived in SOW if you have a decent amount of experience in IL-2. It is a Maddox game after all.

Erkki_M
10-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by idonno:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhantomKira:
I'm sure the same is true of external target tracking (F4). Without TrackIR though... I feel there's no other option.

There are many people doing quite well locked in their cockpits without TrackIR. Do you feel that you are somehow inferior to them? It just takes practice. Lots of us were flying from the cockpit, exclusively, long before TrackIR existed. Don't sell yourself short. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. The next 10 years I will be doing the same I did with il2: full switch only without head tracking.

PhantomKira
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the support. Hate to say it, but selling myself short is something I'm quite good at! Grrrr... Anyway, what do you guys use to look around with, the mouse? Or perhaps padlock? Padlock is, eh, except for that silly triangle. That's goofy, except it does help draw your attention to the target.

"Free", meaning "cheaper", truthfully. Heh. Yeah, I've given that serious thought, especially after I read something TIR developers apparently did about trying to make it so that various game developers would allow only their equipment, and lock out any other tacker system. Makes good business sense, but it doesn't look good to the outside world. I frown upon that.

Bankoletti
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the support. Hate to say it, but selling myself short is something I'm quite good at! Grrrr... Anyway, what do you guys use to look around with, the mouse? Or perhaps padlock? Padlock is, eh, except for that silly triangle. That's goofy, except it does help draw your attention to the target.

Numpad (with left hand). I was using it from the beginning for years before TIR. Yes it takes a lot of practice, but once you master it and are doing it completely automatically or spontanously if you will (without thinking "what key must I press to look to the left and up" for example), no padlock or mouse can compete.

Jumoschwanz
10-26-2010, 07:30 AM
I did not start flying IL2 until the fall of 2001, so I have another year to go to make a decade! This is 2010 right?

In retrospect I would have spent a lot of the time rebuilding antique motorcycles instead...

The best tracking is with a hat-switch set up to work as installed/default except:

When you push the hat-switch straight forward have it activate "Look Forward", so that nothing happens in that position.

Set one of your base buttons on your stick so that it "Looks up" straight up.

Enable Snap-views, I think it is F9.

Now using the combination of the base button and hat-switch you will see that you can pan to anywhere you want to see, and when you release the switches it snaps back straight ahead.

An advantage of this is you learn to associate the attitude your aircraft is in with each view in relationship to the Horizon, so not only are you tracking your opponent, but you automatically know your aircraft's relationship to the ground with no extra effort.

The other advantage, is if you set all controls you need for fighting on your stick, then you are not wasting time moving your hands back and forth to the keyboard during a fight, everything you need is in one small place.

I have a YouTube channel, that has a few dozen Hi-Def videos of flying with the hat switch here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Jumoschwanz#g/u

A lot of guys do great with Track IR, numberpads etc., but more times than I can remember I have seen guys lose fights because they either lost track of their opponent, or because their track IR took a $hit and quit working in battle.

And of course the best stick hands-down is the good old Microsoft Precision2 or FFB, which can be had cheaply on ebay these days.....

S!

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6893/daytonaright.jpg

crucislancer
10-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by idonno:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhantomKira:

There are many people doing quite well locked in their cockpits without TrackIR. Do you feel that you are somehow inferior to them? It just takes practice. Lots of us were flying from the cockpit, exclusively, long before TrackIR existed. Don't sell yourself short. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found a lot of success online without TrackIR, I just got really good at using the little mouse nubby on my X52 throttle. It's second nature now. Well, almost. It's been a while since I've played IL-2 consistently.

PhantomKira
10-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Just tried it. I learned really quickly why it was that the guys in Europe weren't too fond of the thing. You can't see jack. Between the cockpit framing, the engines, the mid wing design, and the dihedral of the wing, there's very little sky you can actually see.

Took half the war, but at least on the P-47D you're up on top of the world where you can see, and no framing to boot.

K_Freddie
10-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Just tried it. I learned really quickly why it was that the guys in Europe weren't too fond of the thing. You can't see jack. Between the cockpit framing, the engines, the mid wing design, and the dihedral of the wing, there's very little sky you can actually see.
Dat's because you're flying straight an level, maaan!! You must weave it a little bit, dude!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rfxcasey
10-29-2010, 04:36 AM
Yea, you have to weave and or manuvaur you plane to see better but this only emphasizes why TrackIR is great. With 6 degrees of freedom you can lean lelft, right, up, down, backward and forward so that if a plane for instance goes behing your windscreen support you can lean a little to get it out of your view and your eyes back on the target. If he rolls while he is obstructed he can quickly change direction and catch you off guard which can be a problem with any enemy plane but especially if your in a 109 vs. and La5 or 7 as they are so nimble you need to be keeping up with their movements constantly or they just might reverse on you.

Also when you can lean forward or pop yourself up a bit you can see that much more under your nose when deflection shooting which is always helpful but find it particulary helpful in the Spits with that huge nose.

PhantomKira
10-29-2010, 12:46 PM
I've been re-flying PhilK's "The Dust Devils" campaign (Mission4Today), with everything except for "No Instant Success" and "Padlock" on. It's finally getting to be semi okay looking around with the keyboard, and, of course, the cockpit framing helps a ton with maintaining orientation. Just got into running ntraks, too, when I get to the combat zone. It's the only way I can be sure of exactly what it is I shot at (type wise), without a gun camera. Seems aircraft recognition needs some work too... I had to do a loop/roll around a Italian Macchi C.200 just to be sure of what it was, make sure it wasn't a P-40/Hurricane. Guess I couldn't ID the radial from behind! I then missed, and lost him completely. And there he was trundling away happily when I replayed the video http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif (and I looked everywhere for the silly bugger, or at least thought I had). Amazing just how many you miss visually when you don't have a birds eye view. Missed a Bf-110 going the other way in a hurry the first time I did the first mission.

What's with the fire simulation? Engine fires seem not to be critical in the P-38, other than the fact that they'll eventually cause power loss/engine failure, whereas wing tank fires will eventually make your wing explode. Shouldn't engine fires eventually melt the boom or something? I must have had one burning for 20-30 minutes, and absolutely no ill effects other than the engine eventually died. Got back to base just fine.

Yes, K-Freddie, I've picked up on the weaving, but I also try to keep my IAS above 300 mph, which isn't conducive to large weaves. It seems little can catch me at those speeds - except the Bf-110s. They just waltz on up and laugh. Then again, I've done the same to them a time or two.

Yeah, I understand the great advantage of TrackIR... now to find $300 I don't know what to do with! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif (I'm going the clip/headset route or not at all.)

Oh, and rfxcasey, I've finally discovered just exactly how the input settings adjustments work, and what the interface screen is telling me! (Red square is true movement, green square is simulated movement. The numbers in the boxes and corresponding sliders are percentages of actual movement of the input device.) After how many years? Same to be said about in-cockpit flying. What's next? Online? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Anyway, I've re-adjusted my inputs to make smaller movements in the center and only go to 100% on the outer edges. My gunnery seems to have improved a bit due to this. Here are the stats:

Pitch and Roll:

0, 5, 10, 15, 25, 38, 55, 68, 85, 100

Yaw:

0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 80, 100

Seems to help quite a bit. Having full yaw kick in only at the outside takes some getting used to, but I don't need it all unless I really need it all, so it works for me.

crucislancer
10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
I've been re-flying PhilK's "The Dust Devils" campaign (Mission4Today), with everything except for "No Instant Success" and "Padlock" on. It's finally getting to be semi okay looking around with the keyboard, and, of course, the cockpit framing helps a ton with maintaining orientation. Just got into running ntraks, too, when I get to the combat zone. It's the only way I can be sure of exactly what it is I shot at (type wise), without a gun camera. Seems aircraft recognition needs some work too... I had to do a loop/roll around a Italian Macchi C.200 just to be sure of what it was, make sure it wasn't a P-40/Hurricane. Guess I couldn't ID the radial from behind! I then missed, and lost him completely. And there he was trundling away happily when I replayed the video http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif (and I looked everywhere for the silly bugger, or at least thought I had). Amazing just how many you miss visually when you don't have a birds eye view. Missed a Bf-110 going the other way in a hurry the first time I did the first mission.

What's with the fire simulation? Engine fires seem not to be critical in the P-38, other than the fact that they'll eventually cause power loss/engine failure, whereas wing tank fires will eventually make your wing explode. Shouldn't engine fires eventually melt the boom or something? I must have had one burning for 20-30 minutes, and absolutely no ill effects other than the engine eventually died. Got back to base just fine.

Yes, K-Freddie, I've picked up on the weaving, but I also try to keep my IAS above 300 mph, which isn't conducive to large weaves. It seems little can catch me at those speeds - except the Bf-110s. They just waltz on up and laugh. Then again, I've done the same to them a time or two.

Yeah, I understand the great advantage of TrackIR... now to find $300 I don't know what to do with! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif (I'm going the clip/headset route or not at all.)

Oh, and rfxcasey, I've finally discovered just exactly how the input settings adjustments work, and what the interface screen is telling me! (Red square is true movement, green square is simulated movement. The numbers in the boxes and corresponding sliders are percentages of actual movement of the input device.) After how many years? Same to be said about in-cockpit flying. What's next? Online? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Anyway, I've re-adjusted my inputs to make smaller movements in the center and only go to 100% on the outer edges. My gunnery seems to have improved a bit due to this. Here are the stats:

Pitch and Roll:

0, 5, 10, 15, 25, 38, 55, 68, 85, 100

Yaw:

0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 80, 100

Seems to help quite a bit. Having full yaw kick in only at the outside takes some getting used to, but I don't need it all unless I really need it all, so it works for me.

That is one of my favorite campaigns. I highly recommend checking out some of his other campaigns as well.

What kind of stick are you using?

PhantomKira
10-29-2010, 02:45 PM
It is a good one. I wrote a review for it at M4T saying it's up to par with everything I've heard about his work. Haven't tried any others - yet. I have the F4U campaign downloaded, so we shall see. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2 without the FFB enabled. Unfortunately, I lost the power cable in one of two moves somewhere along the line in past years. That's what you get for having a critical element not permanently connected. Oh well.

The problem it presents is that there is absolutely zero resistance when moving the stick. Not good, and the reason why I over controlled; until I cheated and reduced the input settings.

Other than that, it's a great stick. I absolutely love the comfort and weight. It just requires the FFB enabled, as without it, there's an unrealistic lack of resistance.

crucislancer
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
It is a good one. I wrote a review for it at M4T saying it's up to par with everything I've heard about his work. Haven't tried any others - yet. I have the F4U campaign downloaded, so we shall see. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2 without the FFB enabled. Unfortunately, I lost the power cable in one of two moves somewhere along the line in past years. That's what you get for having a critical element not permanently connected. Oh well.

The problem it presents is that there is absolutely zero resistance when moving the stick. Not good, and the reason why I over controlled; until I cheated and reduced the input settings.

Other than that, it's a great stick. I absolutely love the comfort and weight. It just requires the FFB enabled, as without it, there's an unrealistic lack of resistance.

I think you will enjoy the Hell in the Pacific campaigns. The Pelieliu and Guam ones are particularly fun, and there’s a lot happening in each mission. Mostly ground attack stuff but you will have some A2A opportunities.

I use the X52, and it has little to no resistance as well, but on recommendations seen here I set the pitch and roll inputs all to 100. I very quickly got used to that.

I have the yaw set to a curve from 0 to 100, with it spiking a bit high near the end, and lower near the beginning, so I can make small rudder adjustments with little input.

Bearcat99
10-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I got IL2 in late summer of 02.. joined UBI in October.. I would do nothing different.. well there is one thing that I wont mention.. as far as the sim goes.. it has been a great ride.. Over the past decade I have learned Photoshop, some web building, tons of history, made some great friends.. had loads of fun.. learned more about life on other countries from some of the folks I have met here.. and more.. all because some Russian programmer/engineer/photographer/pilot/scuba diver/businessman decided that the flight sim world as it existed.. was just missing something......

T_O_A_D
11-01-2010, 01:50 AM
This is easily solved, it is only two wires, My first one I got was used with no chord, I took an old electric razor and modified it to fit. Still using it that way more than 5 years later.

I'm sure the same is true of external target tracking (F4). Without TrackIR though... I feel there's no other option. That and get a good stick. I had the misfortune of loosing the power cable to my Microsoft FFB2, and that stick, without FFB, is damn near useless. I overcontrol waayyy too much because there's absolutely no resistance. Still comfortable as all get out, but not worth a darn in a fight. Oh, and rudders. Trying to track someone with twisted wrist is a joke. Pull the trigger and loose everything, least that's what happens to me.

PhantomKira
11-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Good point, TOAD. I have a plug that looks like it's darn close, but one end is square where the FFB has round on both. I'm seriously considering just grinding down the plastic until it "fits", and see if that works. It looks like it ought to.

WTE_Galway
11-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Good point, TOAD. I have a plug that looks like it's darn close, but one end is square where the FFB has round on both. I'm seriously considering just grinding down the plastic until it "fits", and see if that works. It looks like it ought to.

The cable on mine seems interchangeable with my DVD player and even possibly an older play station cable kicking around in the shed. You probably can pick one up at an electronics store.

M_Gunz
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Usually the shape is to keep you plugging the correct wiring in properly. It won't be good if the pin order or placement doesn't match.

Standard USB plugs, doesn't cover proprietary versions. (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blog.wisefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/usbplugtypes.png&imgrefurl=http://blog.wisefaq.com/2009/06/13/how-to-tell-what-usb-plug-type-it-is/&h=426&w=599&sz=96&tbnid=Jp-1Oj1Lck3doM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dusb%2Bplug%2Btypes&zoom=1&q=usb+plug+types&hl=en&usg=__kAUydFU4c051fg_ijSVILTbzLHs=&sa=X&ei=uf7OTOn7GMWclgeG-JznCA&ved=0CCoQ9QEwAQ)

OTOH maybe it won't hurt.

Chivas
11-01-2010, 12:31 PM

That should work. I just took a quick look at my MSFF2 power plug, and it doesn't matter if you reverse the plug on either end. This should mean that the stick circuit board can adjusted polarity automatically.

PhantomKira
11-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Er, M_Gunz, I'm talking about the power cord, not the USB plug. Still, getting something wrong electrically is something I'm rather worried about. Wouldn't do to start a fire due to equipment not having the right voltage or whatever. Electricity is not something for those who know little about it to go fooling around with. I definitely fall into that category.

Chivas, that's what I was thinking. It looks wayyy to easy, though.

WTE_Galway
11-01-2010, 05:23 PM
The mains power is alternating current (AC) so there is no polarity as such.

Basically one wire is "live" and the other is the neutral return.

Getting them reversed on a two wire system only really matters if the system has a single pole ON/OFF switch as its preferrable in that situation that the live wire go direct to the switch. The other way around means the internal equipment is live if you touch it even when switched off. Most equipment has either no switch or a double pole switch cutting power on both wires in which case it does not matter.

On a three wire system reversing them DOES matter but that is irrelevant here.

In the case of a FFB2 it doesnt matter which way around the power plug goes. In fact on mine the plug is reversible, it can go in either way.

Its good to be careful. If you are unsure drag the stick down to an electrical/electronics store. They will soon find a matching plug for you.

Chivas
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Er, M_Gunz, I'm talking about the power cord, not the USB plug. Still, getting something wrong electrically is something I'm rather worried about. Wouldn't do to start a fire due to equipment not having the right voltage or whatever. Electricity is not something for those who know little about it to go fooling around with. I definitely fall into that category.

Chivas, that's what I was thinking. It looks wayyy to easy, though.

I think it is that easy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif WTE_Galway confirms what I was saying in my post. You should have absolutely no problem shaving down the square edge on the female plug, and plugging it in. The cords conductors will be well within 110v specs if it has a normal 110 plug.

Bearcat99
11-01-2010, 06:41 PM

That's what I had to do with mine.. You dont even have to grind it.. just shave off the square end a tad... works like a champ.. The stick I am now using is my old backup stick from 2002.. I still have an unused one in the box from '04 when I worked at Best Buy.. and my original MSFFB stick still works as well but I gave it to my son..

PhantomKira
11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Alrighty gang. Here goes. Update tomorrow, if I'm not fried!

And if so, I'll haunt you all! Muhahahaha! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

T_O_A_D
11-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeh just got back to this. Been working and fishing.

110 A/c current will care less.

PhantomKira
11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
So that's what I've been missing all these years?! WOW! Wish I'd discovered this sooner. It worked like a charm, as advertised. Adds a whole new dimension to the game.

JSG72
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

10 years. Ehh?

The only reason I bought a computer was to play IL2. Seriously. Being a Luftfan and having played arcade games at funfairs. I had always longed for a "More Real" experience.
I had seen the ads and heard a couple of workmates talking and realised that this was going to be Nirvanha for me. I haven't looked back since.
I have upgrade my computer 3 times since just to keep upwith the various versions/patches. And am soo.. pleased for the ability to play MODs. Have been using a Saiteck Cyborg 3d Force for the past 8years having initially had a MS FFB. and also having a year or so out with a "Black Widow" Throttle/Stick (Not bad actually).
I have thoroughly enjoyed this Forum and alwaays come back to see, what's going on?
However I bought my most recent rig in preparation for SOW. Some 16 months ago and it still isn't here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
I will certainly stick to IL2 because I can now run it No probs Just as I dreamed it could be. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bearcat99
11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
So that's what I've been missing all these years?! WOW! Wish I'd discovered this sooner. It worked like a charm, as advertised. Adds a whole new dimension to the game.

I use the stick solely for the way it handles the stick forces.. FFB does what no normal spring could ever do. I have FFB turned off in the controls... the reason for that is the annoying feature that will kill your FFB entirely, stick forces and all, if you ALT+TAB out or WIN key out... and come back into the sim. So if say your cursor locks up and you have to ALT+TAB out... your FFB is gone. But if you just turn it off in the sim, you wont get the gunshake and stalls.. etc.. but you will get stick forces.. and they will change with the plane or the load out, or reflect control surface damage.

PhantomKira
11-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Good to know, Bearcat99. I, however, like having the shudder right before the stall, though the daggone recoil from the guns throws my aim off. Find I have to aim low if I want to hit ground targets especially.

thefruitbat
11-03-2010, 05:37 AM
if you go into your forcefeedback folder in your il2 install, and remove all of the files apart from 'spring' you are left with just the stall shudder effect.

This is how i run my ffb2.

PhantomKira
11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Awesomeness, FruitBat! Any clue what the "punch.ffe" does? Is that the silly shock I get when passing someone really close, especially right after I shot them down? Or maybe it's the "Hey, you're going super ultra fast, shudder, shudder"? Hum. Time to experiment.

thefruitbat
11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
the punch is the turbulence effect, and its a real pain in the ***.

PhantomKira
11-03-2010, 01:17 PM
That it is. Out it goes! *TOSS!* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif