PDA

View Full Version : what is padlock view?

duckkiller1970
01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm a toltal IL noob just bought pacific fighters. see padlock enemy view or padlock friendly view. but if i hit them it doesn't seem to do anything.

duckkiller1970
01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm a toltal IL noob just bought pacific fighters. see padlock enemy view or padlock friendly view. but if i hit them it doesn't seem to do anything.

Stiglr
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Padlock views are to keep a "target" plane in view automatically.

The plane has to be within a certain distance (configurable, not sure what the default distance is) and within a narrow cone of "view" that is basically "in front of you". When a plane is in such a position, you invoke "Padlock [friend or enemy]" and your view will automatically slew to follow that plane until such a time as you change targets, cancel the padlock or the plane is out of view (e.g., under you, too far away, behind you) and the padlock "breaks".

This is a good tool to keep a plane in view, but it's also a double-edged sword: when you padlock plane A, you "ignore" all others. It's the one you don't see that gets you. Some will argue that it is better to learn to control your own views so that YOU pick and choose who to pay attention to at any one time. This is key to having "situational awareness" and managing a swirling, confusing multiple plane fight

Tully__
01-22-2005, 10:19 PM
For padlock to work, the following conditions must be satisfied:

1. The "No Padlock" difficulty setting must be turned of.

2. The target object must within your field of view.

3. The target object must be less than 3km away

4. The target object must not be obscured by part of your aircraft, cloud, terrain or other objects.

Further, for padlock to succesfully differentiate between enemy and friendly target objects, the "No Icons" difficulty setting must also be turned off.

For external padlock (F6, Shift-F6, F7, Shift-F7) to work, the "No External Views" difficulty setting must be turned off.