PDA

View Full Version : Apologies to NaturalPoint RE TrackIR4 software

Alexi_Alx_Anova
12-15-2004, 01:53 AM
In a post on this forum announcing the release of the new TrackIR software (version 4) I reported that one part of the software, the Curve Editor, did not work properly. Despite the beta status of the software, I suggested the NP programmers had prematurely released a poor beta. I'd like to apologise to NP for that derogatory portion of my post.

I gave feedback on the programs behaviour on the NP forums, and to their credit, they immediately contacted me and supplied me with a debug version of the software. That the software was behaving incorrectly was irrefutable (I even made a movie of it and sent it to NP). But the long and the short of it is, that the fault is caused by using Large size (120dpi) system fonts. I have a 19" monitor and use 1600 X 1200 resolution. In order to prevent early blindness, I set the system font size to Large in the desktop properties. Once these are set back to Normal size (96 dpi), the Curve Editor works flawlessly.

NP were aware of this and I believe have already fixed it in the next release. A pity they didn't release a README with the software.

In the perspective of the flames that happen on this forum, my comments were almost insignificant, but I wanted to make an apology here because I've been so impressed with the professionalism and courteousness of NP. They have the kind of customer support we would like and should expect to get from all our purchases.

Alexi

Alexi_Alx_Anova
12-15-2004, 01:53 AM
In a post on this forum announcing the release of the new TrackIR software (version 4) I reported that one part of the software, the Curve Editor, did not work properly. Despite the beta status of the software, I suggested the NP programmers had prematurely released a poor beta. I'd like to apologise to NP for that derogatory portion of my post.

I gave feedback on the programs behaviour on the NP forums, and to their credit, they immediately contacted me and supplied me with a debug version of the software. That the software was behaving incorrectly was irrefutable (I even made a movie of it and sent it to NP). But the long and the short of it is, that the fault is caused by using Large size (120dpi) system fonts. I have a 19" monitor and use 1600 X 1200 resolution. In order to prevent early blindness, I set the system font size to Large in the desktop properties. Once these are set back to Normal size (96 dpi), the Curve Editor works flawlessly.

NP were aware of this and I believe have already fixed it in the next release. A pity they didn't release a README with the software.

In the perspective of the flames that happen on this forum, my comments were almost insignificant, but I wanted to make an apology here because I've been so impressed with the professionalism and courteousness of NP. They have the kind of customer support we would like and should expect to get from all our purchases.

Alexi

jamesdietz
12-15-2004, 09:28 AM
I have a related question,you may be able to answer: After downloading this ( TrackIR4) I now have 2 TrackIR icons on my desktop.One is the one that activates TrackIR3 pro (It says Natural point)that I've had for sometime & now a new one(that says TrackIR under it...)that opens to give options for what i think is the new vector Expansion addition,which I have ordered,but has yet to arrive.My question is does this second icon & options it gives have any purpose yet? It doesn't seem to activate my TrackIR gizmo & I'm not sure what I should do with it ( if anything)...Also I need to make sure it is "off" before using the other icon to turn on Track IR...Can you give me an idea,or direct me to the correct info?

slarsson
12-15-2004, 11:14 AM
It SHOULD activate your TrackIR3......

I also have the two icons on the desktop. One fires up the old v3.13 software and the TrackIR hardware, the other fires up the v4 software and the hardware. You canm't run both simultaneously, obviously.

The v4 software simply runs the TrackIR hardware using the new (nicer) interface, and allows non-mirrored pfofiles. It also switches enhanced mode on and off automatically. It is much less sensitive to minor head movements, and seems to "know" an intended head movememnt from simply moving a bit in your chair...

None of this is anything to do with the vector expansion, which has to be activated by a special purchased code.

If your hardware doesn't work with v 4, you should reinstall, with the hardware NOT plugged in

PriK
12-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Alexi, glad things worked out for you. I've known for some time the extrodinary lengths this company will go to help someone out.

Mor companies should be like this.

jamesdietz
12-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Gotcha! Yep seems to work fine that way ...Thanks!