PDA

View Full Version : All I want for christmas is Free "Rome".

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I am so disappointed that there is no Free Roam multiplayer mode. I love this game so much and would love to have the freedom to explore Rome online with my friends, just chill out and chat...
I honestly believe adding Free "Rome" to the list of multiplayer game modes would greatly enhance Ubisoft's community. I already know about 100 people who would buy Brotherhood if it had Free Roam.
Free "Rome" greatly increases replay value.
The way multiplayer seems to work so far is that you HAVE to do something, or you do nothing at all.
It would be nice to relax every now and then and just explore the giant city of rome, without isolating yourself from the online community.
Maybe i am the only gamer who feels this way, as i don't see any other topics suggesting this.
I find it is a great addition to any game, but for some reason developers do not feel it is necessary anymore.
This is the reason i lost interest in the Need For Speed franchise...
Maybe i don't feel like serious racing at the moment, but i would enjoy a little cruise.
Please Ubisoft add Free "Rome".
I would enjoy running around the city of Rome with other players. No teams, no objectives, just assassins being assassins in Rome.
I do not understand as to why others are opposed to this idea (on other gaming websites).
Adding Free "Rome" to the list of multiplayer game modes would not be hurting anyone would it?
As i said previously, i know many, many people who are only renting this game for the story.
They see no replay value after its complete.
Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love assassins creed. I have been running around by myself in singleplayer for too long now... It would be nice to invite some friends.

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I am so disappointed that there is no Free Roam multiplayer mode. I love this game so much and would love to have the freedom to explore Rome online with my friends, just chill out and chat...
I honestly believe adding Free "Rome" to the list of multiplayer game modes would greatly enhance Ubisoft's community. I already know about 100 people who would buy Brotherhood if it had Free Roam.
Free "Rome" greatly increases replay value.
The way multiplayer seems to work so far is that you HAVE to do something, or you do nothing at all.
It would be nice to relax every now and then and just explore the giant city of rome, without isolating yourself from the online community.
Maybe i am the only gamer who feels this way, as i don't see any other topics suggesting this.
I find it is a great addition to any game, but for some reason developers do not feel it is necessary anymore.
This is the reason i lost interest in the Need For Speed franchise...
Maybe i don't feel like serious racing at the moment, but i would enjoy a little cruise.
Please Ubisoft add Free "Rome".
I would enjoy running around the city of Rome with other players. No teams, no objectives, just assassins being assassins in Rome.
I do not understand as to why others are opposed to this idea (on other gaming websites).
Adding Free "Rome" to the list of multiplayer game modes would not be hurting anyone would it?
As i said previously, i know many, many people who are only renting this game for the story.
They see no replay value after its complete.
Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love assassins creed. I have been running around by myself in singleplayer for too long now... It would be nice to invite some friends.

berm87
11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
If you wanted to roam aimlessly around Rome, why couldn't you just play the single player? I guess I don't see the thrill in randomly walking around with no clear objective in mind. If you want to shoot the breeze with your friends, just create a chat room. In my opinion, the developers should concentrate on more rewarding content instead.

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I completely agree!
I didn't put everything in because i felt my message was getting a little too long.

If you have ever played Red Dead Redemption, Burnout Paradise, GTA IV, or any other game with a interesting free roam, it is alot of fun.

I don't want to start suggest ideas for Ubisoft to add to a game mode they haven't even created.
I would love for free rome to be created and then for Ubisoft to add things to it.

For example, maybe free rome optional challenges, co-op missions, or something.

Maybe you can assemble a Assassin Brotherhood full of your friends?

Maybe the Assassin with the most kills in the current room will have an assassination contract on his head, like red dead redemption most wanted.

Maybe you get rewarded for killing the lead player in a particular way, maybe with a throwing knife. Or by leaping off a rooftop.

So many cool things to spice it up, but the mode doesn't even exist yet... so it is my focus until it has.

They could create a very interactive free rome system.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. ubisoft might not even do anything.

I don't really know Ubisoft, but i hope they listen to their fans...

Comixfan
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
All I want for Christmas is a working matchmaking system for multiplayer.

Seriously, this is beyond a joke. Halo Reach & COD:BO have far superior matchmaking systems to this set-up. The designers really should have taken a leaf or two out of those books!

It's been almost a week since the game was released now and nothing has been done to fix it!

berm87
11-23-2010, 08:19 PM
That's certainly an interesting and exciting notion, but I've always preferred the less substantial setup of simply choosing a game mode and playing it. I like the separation between single player and multiplayer, whereas in such games as RDR the two modes are virtually the same.

El Zo1212o
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berm87:
If you wanted to roam aimlessly around Rome, why couldn't you just play the single player? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He explained why in his post. I personally love free roam modes. You're free to do as you like- sightsee, kill guards, kill civilians, kill other players, race with your friends to the top of a view point- the list is potentially endless.

And I don't understand your remark about wanting the devs to work on 'more rewarding content'- the city of Rome is already built, how much effort would it demand to open it up for 4-8 players?

obliviondoll
11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I think this would be fun, but impractical to implement.

Voted Yes I'd love to, but I can see why they didn't.

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
It disappoints me that this game is missing such a simple component with a very beneficial value.

This game is a masterpiece, and i know if Ubisoft puts as much work into online as offline they could make possible one of the greatest games ever.

This game has so much potential, so many options... i just don't know if Ubisoft is willing to listen to their fans or how much work they will put in to improve their game.

The single player is absolutely amazing, which is why i am screaming for them to do the same with multiplayer... because i know they are capable.

If we want to start imagining cool additions to free rome (which doesn't even exist yet), the possibilites are endless! It comes down to the question of what Ubisoft is willing to put in.

We could have clans, each a different Brotherhood with customizable colors and designs to set clans appearances apart from others.

A bounty type system where the person with the highest amount of kills, or highest current killstreak, will be have a "hit" put on them for the other players to execute.
Maybe the game chooses at random a specific way you have to execute your target, maybe with a certain weapon or a specific mean of execution.

There could be horse races possibly...
I'm just going off the top of my head, but all these things are possible and if Ubisoft actually put work into it, this game would to simply put it pwn.

Maybe there are co-op side missions in which a player can invite another play to join him, that player can reject or accept the invite.

There could possibly be some way we could tie the Borgia soldiers into free rome. Which would be cool because constantly killing other players would eventually make you notorious... then even the AI soldiers would be after you.
Its like having police on in GTA IV in a way.

It would also be cool if there were multiplayer modes oh, lets say for using Leonardo's tank? The death machine he built... could make intense tank battles.

I could honestly write a book on cool stuff that they could do, but creating a free rome option is step 1. So lets stick with that for now as until it happens, if it ever does, talking about stuff like this is irrelevant.
Trust me, if they make a free rome i will make another topic about what they should add to free rome to improve it.

postwick
11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
that would be cool. just a free mode where you and some friends can go around do challenges, missions, or just ride your horses around if you want.

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Exactly! There are many ideas that haven't even crossed my mind yet. Think of your own awesome ideas and post them here!
Maybe if we get this topic to draw enough attention Ubisoft might acknowledge it.
After all we are the reason they are here, we bought their game.
We obviously can't tell them how to do their job but it would be respectful to acknowledge the voices of the people the fund them.
I'm not saying Ubisoft doesn't listen to anyone, i don't know Ubisoft... I just have a bad experience with that thoughtful automated robot that emails you back... from other companies...

But i intend to do everything i can for free rome. As one person i cannot do much.
The reason i'm doing this is because i have not played a decent game in a very long time.
Think about it, this game is already made. The hard part is done. Making a free rome should be a piece of cake compared to the developing, programming, animating etc.

Its not logical to improve something that has yet to be created, so lets get the damn thing created!

As somebody in here said they have already made the map, now it just needs people.
The manhunt and other gamemods are much more complicated with the compass and system design.
It may not sound like much but its more than a free rome needs.
Logically if they have done something hard, they can do something easier...
If you can jump 2 feet, than you can jump 1 foot.
Bad analogy but if they have done all this, make a free rome... its easier to make and its better.

Then add things to the free rome, and it will become one giant room of optional challenges and tasks, missions etc.

You can take part if you want, but you don't have to.

Ubisoft, listen to your fans... please... what we are asking you of is not unreasonable.

obliviondoll
11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
It's more complex than just "they already made the map, now open it up to more players"

The map, the guard AI, the combat system, blending, etc are built on the grounds that lag won't be an issue. Blending can work, climbing can work, they've proven that, but keeping the Assassin's Creed combat system in an online game, even co-op, would be unplayable.

MIGHT work with a system link setup (LAN) if you have two consoles and 2 TVs, or use the old San Andreas co-op system where you can have 2 player free-roam mode on one system, and players can run around together, but have to stay on one screen.

But there are serious problems with importing the guard AI, and particularly the combat system, into an online game. It quite simply won't work.

As much as we'd all like it.

If they removed the guards and the combat system altogether, would you still want to play?

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
If they reworked the combat system slightly, and removed the parts where you insta-kill guards, like when you counter attack then that could possibly work.

The guards could be a problem, but i'm sure it would work as always. If you get into a guards line of sight the indicator will pop up, it should be the same for all assassins.
Numerous times throughout the game the guards have had multiple targets on my side to fight, then again the people on my end were also AI.

It's possible to get it to work, since neither of us developed the game we don't know how easy or how complicated it could be to rework it in other modes.

Maybe they just have to adjust a few things,
or maybe the only option would be to rework the whole system (combat/guards)... which would deem the free rome unfeasable.

It's possible for sure, but depending on the system it could be some adjustments or complete reworking.

Complete reworking is possible technically, but clearly no game company is willing to go through that much work.

If they were planning online from the start of production they should have specifically designed the systems in a way they could be modified for multiplayer.

Its as if they got the multiplayer half way through creation at which time it was to late to integrate guards/combat into multiplayer without reworking the system completely.

I just wish game companies would stop being selfish to save money, like the people who create Need For Speed.

What happened to free roam NFS? Why...

I can hardly find any NEW free roam games anymore... Redemption was cool but the map got dull for me, its like GTA without helicopters, supercars, and buildings...
woot a horse... and forests!...

Airtamis
11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Obliviondoll is right. It is simple in theory, but probably too complex for practicle use, and Rome is a big city, which would make it even harder.

Dreamic
11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, the next Assassins Creed will have it for sure. If it doesn't theres something wrong with Ubisoft.

I understand they may not be able to make changes, as some of the programmed material may be to complex to rework.

For the next Assassins Creed however, i am hoping they will start it off with the intent for a more entertaining multiplayer experience.
Theres no excuses why the next Assassins Creed should have these problems. Start it off on the right foot. Unfortunately its going to be a while... and it seems every other game company in the world has forgotten what the term free roam is...

bassguy12
11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I agree with Hunched. Ubi might be able to get this to work but remember that ACB was really just a game to hold people over until AC3. This was really just a test for some new stuff. Hopefully AC3 will be great.

berm87
11-23-2010, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElZo1212o:

And I don't understand your remark about wanting the devs to work on 'more rewarding content'- the city of Rome is already built, how much effort would it demand to open it up for 4-8 players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having an available environment is only one necessary building block in the realization of a free-roam multiplayer for Assassin's Creed. And by 'more rewarding content', I only meant that I'd rather have them work on things that cater to the multiplayer experience they've already created, such as additional characters, skills, and game modes, as well as improvements to the current game, such as fixing glitches. While I'm not an authority on these things, constructing a free-roam mode would take considerable effort. Perhaps in their next installment they'll reconsider this approach.

Turinrp
11-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Interesting, killing guards with some friends of the "brotherhood", or one being the "Master Assassin" of a Clan of "Assassins", do missions, infiltrate some Borgia Towers, and in team, do it.

stealth995
11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
I would vote stronger on a co-op mode for campaign... =) which would of course include the free roam in between missions.

SirPhist
11-23-2010, 11:14 PM
naturally

Jurkey
11-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't see why they couldn't make it.

The only developing differences is to implent more assassins etc, maybe more difficult guards and stuff (and not assigning everyone on contracts, but making everyone be individual)

But please, if you make it possible to kill other people, there should be a sort of "party". You can party people, so you won't be able to kill each other. Make it so counter-attacks doesn't instakill.

StanStill
11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
yes, but only if you can do assassination contracts and races etc... otherwise there is no point, it would just be single player but with less things to do.

Dreamic
11-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Of course Ubisoft would add content to free rome.
Regardless, after beating the single player there is nothing to do either.
You may enjoy replaying it but i'm the kind of person who doesn't watch a movie or read a book more than once.
I would rather do nothing with other people than do nothing by myself.

Plus multiplayer gets good laughs, especially in free rome when people are just screwing around not taking the game seriously... and having fun.
Trust me, there would be some fail assassination attempts that would make you lol...

Maybe somebody is chasing you accross the rooftops and he falls to his death by accident... i would laugh.

xcamthemandudex
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I see no problem in that. I mean I wouldn't play it that often due to lack of genuine friends that are only or using the xbox 360, but I'm sure other people would love that mode. Maybe through in a few tomes or missions like the beginning of the game (with Desmond and Lucy getting to the sanctuary).

obliviondoll
11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I've been thinking about things, and you know what I'd like?

A free-roaming multiplayer mode exclusive to private matches, where you can just explore the levels and familiarise yourself with them.

Can have other players, but can't interact with one another, just lets people get the idea of the layout etc in a non-threatening situation.

berm87
11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
A free-roaming multiplayer mode exclusive to private matches, where you can just explore the levels and familiarise yourself with them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love a non-threatening opportunity to explore the maps!

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Sure you may not be a fan of Free Rome, but if they could add the game mode without sacrificing the quality or expansions of the other game modes, i believe it would be a great idea.

For example, lets just say you like call of duty.
If call of duty was going to add a new game mode to the playlist, and you didn't like it... what does it matter? As long as they keep the game modes they already have installed, without abandoning them and only focusing on improving the new modes, than it doesn't affect you.

It seems your worried that if they start focusing on new games modes they will forget about the older ones such as wanted, manhunt etc.

I'm sure if that was the case they wouldn't do it.
This is going to sound disrespectful, but its logical.
If you don't like free rome, don't play it... it will be as if it wasn't even there...
If they add free rome and you don't play it, then it doesn't affect you.
Adding free rome isn't going to change manhunt or wanted, so why would it bother you?
If it does anything it draws more fans, and keeps the previous ones as well.
If they were removing game modes to add new ones it would be a different story,
Plus free rome has proved successful in many games.
I used to take games very seriously when i was younger, which made me frustrated whenever i wasn't doing amazing... i know not everyone is like this but now i take them less seriously because i like to enjoy myself.
I don't know many gamers who get as irritated as i do when i lose, but everybody gets frustrated a little bit now and then... Free Rome could be a nice break even for those people...

Free Rome is just fun, of course they would add challenges, tasks, missions, mini-games etc. to free rome.
Even without it, if you use your imagination you and your friends can do some pretty funny stuff... I like to find ways to **** with people... and laugh at their reactions.

Even on call of duty when i want to take a break i will start suicide bombing the enemy, or go kamikaze with an rpg... Its funny to watch them panic because they see your cooking a grenade and they don't want to die lol.
(When your right in their face, and you suprise them)

I could just imagine myself killing people horses from a distance, without them noticing... and they will look around wondering if their horse just had a heart attack or something...

rb2610
11-25-2010, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
It's more complex than just "they already made the map, now open it up to more players"

The map, the guard AI, the combat system, blending, etc are built on the grounds that lag won't be an issue. Blending can work, climbing can work, they've proven that, but keeping the Assassin's Creed combat system in an online game, even co-op, would be unplayable.

MIGHT work with a system link setup (LAN) if you have two consoles and 2 TVs, or use the old San Andreas co-op system where you can have 2 player free-roam mode on one system, and players can run around together, but have to stay on one screen.

But there are serious problems with importing the guard AI, and particularly the combat system, into an online game. It quite simply won't work.

As much as we'd all like it.

If they removed the guards and the combat system altogether, would you still want to play? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would require a fair bit of effort on the Developer's part, but it should be entirely possible, GTA IV and Red Dead both had free roam, I'd say GTA IV probably had a similar sized gameworld to Rome, maybe even larger (not played RDR so I can't comment on that)

The AI is probably of a similar level in all 3 games, as is the physics system (GTA IV has the added implication of huge numbers of vehicles as well)

Guard AI can be equated to the police AI on GTA IV, AC's is probably a little better, but not so massively so that it'd be impossible to implement.

Combat system, no problems there, both GTA IV and RDR have fully functioning combat, also the presence of firearms and vehicles means much more particle processing needs to be done with explosions all over the place and stuff.

Only part of the combat system that'd prove majorly problematic would be the PVP aspect, counters in particularly would be a nightmare to balance.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I am very bored with the gaming industry in the past couple of years...
The kind of gamer i am is a free roam gamer... i enjoy exploring and finding cool stuff such as items, locations, or easter eggs.
The first game i ever remember playing was some sort of Mario, there were lots of different locations you could explore... the big castle being one of them.
Maybe that is why i am addicted to these sort of games... as it was the first type of game i ever played...

I don't like being restricted by preset levels or missions, i tend to blow through these games in a couple hours.... as it is just mission after mission and very repetitive... which also makes you finish the game faster...'

Imagine if you couldn't free roam in singleplayer in assassins creed, you just did each mission after another... you would be done very quickly.
I took my time and explored the world, i feel this also has some effect on multiplayer.
In my opinion if it makes singleplayer more interesting and less dull, then it will do the same for multiplayer.
In multiplayer the missions and side missions will all be removed, but they can be replaced by other activites... thus making multiplayer like an online singleplayer with different missions. For me, this would make multiplayer much less repetitive.

This is why i am bored of call of duty, just game after game... and the majority of your kills come from pushing two buttons over and over, and over, and over.... L1 or R1, LT or RT...
Now that is unbelievably repetitive... maybe its just me but thats how i see it now, probably because it lost its "magic" for me...

It's believe for almost every one single player games with free roam keep them busier than single player games without free roam... i believe the same is true for multiplayer... I would rather play Need For Speed Most Wanted then undercover or any other NFS game without free roam... Sadly need for speed abandoned free roam for some odd reason...
Theres no variety when you either have to do the exact same thing or you cannot do anything, sure theres a bit but with free rome as i, and others have said the possibilities are pontentially endless... YOU do what YOU want to do, what limits you is your imagination... I don't know if its possible to run out of ideas and feel there is nothing to do... How can your brain be to repetitive? You control what you think...
Which is what i like doing, often i think about stupid/funny things me and my friends could do on games like GTA IV and get some good laughs out of it...
Why this idea is rejected i do not know, its simply multiplayer without structure... Ubisoft would obviously add content but even if they didn't you people complain it would be terrible... How?
If it were so simple it really just was people online in rome... is the problem the people? Is Rome messed up? Is it the game engine? No... its the basic elements of the game... how could there be a problem.
You said it would be dull and boring, i'm no psychologist but maybe you have no imagination. What you find dreadfully boring, i can find a way to make interesting and fun...
Free rome would simply be multiplayer without structure, you decide what you do... if you cannot think of anything to do it will bore you...
Some people are like this in real life, they need structure or they don't know what to do... Others hate structure and would love the freedom to basically have the free of structure...

What i'm trying to say is its your opinion, sure you may not like it... but try to see how other may enjoy this mode and don't be biased.
I'm sure in real life somebody likes something that you don't like... that does not neceassarily mean its a bad thing... after all its a good thing to the other person.

If i like lamborghini's and you like ferrar's, what right do i have to say that ferrari's suck? Just because i don't like them? Maybe the other person feels the same way towards you, logically you can't both be right. (The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. That isn't possible).
So if i like lamborghini's and you like ferrari's, then you keep liking your ferrari's and i will keep liking my lamborghini's...
You can use a "Free Rome" and "Manhunt, Wanted etc" to replace lamborghini and ferrari.

What i'm saying is neither of us is wrong, don't be biased...
Something you do not like others can like... think about it... its obvious.

I am not a fan of Manhunt, Wanted, or the other games modes, but i am not saying they are crap... I understand other people enjoy them, this is what makes people different, they like different things...

Opinions cannot be right or wrong, opinions are somebodys personal view...
So something thats right to you may not be right for me, something thats right to me may not be right to you... Neither of us are right or wrong, so please don't use opinions in the decision...

I hope this made sense. Just attempt to understand.
(For example, how would you like it if this game had free rome and no wanted or manhunt etc, and i was telling you that your gamemodes sucked and mine was better...?)

Evan52395
11-25-2010, 11:31 AM
I would love this. I was hoping for a free roam from the start and I've had friends say they would get it if it had. I can even see some small co-op things you could do in free roam, like Assassination contracts or a game mode that's like zombies excpet not inclosed (endless hordes of Borgia gurads getting tougher and tougher and see how far you could get). Endless possibilities.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 11:55 AM
The next good free roam game coming out is test drive unlimited 2... in february.

I've honestly been waiting for a game with free roam multiplayer since late 2008 early 2009...

GTA's don't come out too often...
I want another Midnight Club, LA was decent...
Assassins Creed would probably be my favorite game of all time with the correct multiplayer system...
I don't know when, if ever another Burnout will be made...
Need For Speed is too lazy to make anything worth playing anymore.
"Bully" was a pretty cool game by rockstar, i want a sequel...
Crackdown 2 would be okay, but the graphics make me want to pour listerine in my eyes so they can feel clean again...
Driver Parallel lines was decent, don't know if they will make another one..
I highly doubt fallout new vegas has multiplayer.
"Fuel" is probably the most boring racing game i've ever played.
If they made another "Godfather" game it could do well.
Just Cause 2 would be amazing if it had multiplayer, it frustrates the hell out of me that it doesn't.
Does the newest Mafia game have multiplayer? (is it Mafia 3?)
Prince of persia would be pretty cool if they made one with multiplayer.
"Prototype" had a beastly singleplayer story, i don't think they are ever making a sequel sadly...
Red Dead Redemption was cool, the problem was that the map was painfully dull, like fuel...
THE SABOTEUR!!!! very good game! Like assassins creed mixed with grand theft auto. I loved every second of it but sadly no online, if it had it i would still be playing it right now... Very amazing game engine, you can climb, shoot, and drive anything.... very underrated
Saints row 3 is a gay version of GTA.

The games that have been made but lack free roam http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Needs free roam!!!!!!)
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (Used to love the franchise... No free roam...)
Just Cause 2 (Doesn't even have any multiplayer, very fun if it did)
The Saboteur (Assassin's Creed meets GTA meets Nazi's. No online sadly)

SirPhist
11-25-2010, 12:37 PM
let's just think positively and it'll probably happen. so i phrase it like this: multiplayer in future assassin's creed will feature free roam, and it'll be awesome.

the structure of single player will stay the same, but i'll simply be able to share it with my friends. we'll need to work together as a brotherhood, communicate with each other, and understand each others intentions. we'll share notoriety as we are one unit: if we looked similar, AI people in general will believe we're the same assassin. exactly why we'll be very careful. and when we feel like going on rampages, we'll have our operator (Rebecca or someone else) load a virtual combat program resembling the settings of any city we like with hordes of "AI guards" for us to mess up without affecting our actual mission & notoriety.

during our down time between memory missions, we'll constantly have races to see who free runs better & faster [i love the racing program, but i'd like to race against other people that i can see].

we'll each have our own florin pouch to spend on weapons, repairs, buildings, thieves, courtesans, dyes, armor, horses, gear, beggars, minstrels, art, etc.

as we cross the civilians to be recruited, we'll separately decide whether we like them. we'll have our own assassin signals and our own recruits to command and train.

and of course, we'll coordinate our mission approach; where we are, what we're doing, who we're killing, etc.

hell, we could even decide to split up and do as we want just like single player, and, "i'll meet up witchu at the memory in 15 minutes."

on top of all that, we can even decide to leave the animus separately while the other remains synched in the animus.

'free rome's a dumb idea.' who says that? you're a dumb idea.

E-Zekiel
11-25-2010, 12:41 PM
People who say free roam would have nothing to do haven't played Red Dead.

There are a number of things you could do in free roam, and ideally, they would reward exp, so that you have that reliable method of grinding your exp up for the main matches. It could be thief races, pickpocket challenges, free running accomplishments (this is kinda like thief races though), assassinations, all of which can be done cooperatively if you so choose.

In order to not screw up a lot of the balance though they would have to avoid giving people HP bars and still stick to the one hit kill stuff like in competitive matches. Yes, this does mean that if you get caught during an assassination, the guard will kill you in one hit. Lol.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 01:35 PM
@ SirPhist

I was saying there are a few people that have stated they were against this idea.

Why don't you check the very first reply...
I'm just simply trying to avoid it for the future, as there is no reason why it is a bad idea.
If you can provide logical answers then its cool, but your opinions do not matter.
Rephrase it as this: "Would adding free rome to assassin's creed increase fans?"

Ubisoft doesn't care what the fans think, nor does any other company.
They care about what makes more money, and it just so happens that what the fans want is tied into that (obviously).

So don't tell me its a bad idea because you don't like it, if you can prove that it won't get more people to buy the game then cool.

The reason i have for creating this topic is that almost everybody on my friends list ISN'T buying the game because it doesn't have free roam.
So my side is that Ubisoft would probably make more money buy adding it, Ubisoft doesn't give a rats *** about what i think, and i don't blame them.
If you think a gaming company that serves thousands if not millions is going to greatly value every opinion of every person, the part of your brain used for rational thinking is broken.

It just so happens that what i really want is something that will also gain Ubisoft more money, and in the end Ubisoft doesn't care about what I want.
They care about making money. If it proves that by adding free rome more people would by their game, they would be wealthier and i would be happier.
I don't know any gaming company that would make non-profitable actions because their fans wanted it. Which clearly shows the actions they make is determined on whether or not the idea is profitable.

So the question is whether or not adding Free Rome to multiplayer would increase profit.
I would have to say yes, as almost all my friends like Assassin's Creed but they aren't buying it because they will become easily bored after completing the story, so they are renting it.
I'm pretty sure some games such as Burnout Paradise and GTA IV would not even make half the money they do, if they did not have free roam.
For example, Burnout Paradise was 100% free roam, or as they called it "Free-burn". It was just a free roam around Paradise City with hundreds of challenges. There were mini-games, races, cops n robbers etc.
All of these were optional free roam mini-games.

If a video game can create almost its entire only community based on just a free roam, i think it has some beneficial value of some sort if done properly.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 01:52 PM
@ Sir Phist

Sorry, only the part about the very first reply was directed towards you.

The rest of my last message was directed at anybody who is reading it.

TheTaIented
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I think adding a free rome would be amazing. Like you said the things you could do around the area would be great. Imagine making an ingame Brotherhood, just to chill around the city and get Guild accomplishments from Co-op missions etc. Red dead redemption was a huge downfall, if it had an ingame guild system where you recruit people and fight other guilds it would have been great but instead they just gave you a huge landscape with nothing to do. Atleast with assassins creed you could attack the guards and just see your friends scaling buildings and air assassinating people. Its the dream game and one of the coolest games out there and being able to do it with 4-8 would be amazing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

obliviondoll
11-25-2010, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rb2610:
Combat system, no problems there, both GTA IV and RDR have fully functioning combat, also the presence of firearms and vehicles means much more particle processing needs to be done with explosions all over the place and stuff.

Only part of the combat system that'd prove majorly problematic would be the PVP aspect, counters in particularly would be a nightmare to balance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ummmm.... No. You've never really learned to use the original AC's combat well, have you?

The AI made it counter-heavy, not the system itself.

If you had an AI focusing almost entirely on defense in the first Assassin's Creed, 90% of players would think it was unkillable. It's really not. AC1 had a guard-break you could do by hitting X on PS3(I think it's A on XBox) before attacking - step in, and you'll knock the target's sword away, leaving them open for a second attack. This move can't be countered - but can be dodged.

In ACB, the guard-break is faster, and harder to dodge, and if anything, almost overpowered - but because of the fact that there are defensive AI characters with guns, it's better that way for single player.

The problem isn't that people will just sit and counter and everything will be screwed.

The problem is LAG.

Games with shooting, or where melee is just a matter of attack and rely on your health for defense, then lag isn't a major issue.

In Assassin's Creed, EVERYTHING in combat is timing-based.

Which means lag will KILL combat. Completely. There's no way to argue that point rationally.

IF, and this is a big if, all the AI calculations are managed by a single host player, then THAT player will be fine to fight guards and stuff, which means that only EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOST will be screwed, instead of the (slightly) more sensible option of dividing the load so everyone is EQUALLY screwed.

SirPhist
11-25-2010, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheTaIented:
I think adding a free rome would be amazing. Like you said the things you could do around the area would be great. Imagine making an in game Brotherhood, just to chill around the city and get Guild accomplishments from Co-op missions etc. Red dead redemption was a huge downfall, if it had an in game guild system where you recruit people and fight other guilds it would have been great but instead they just gave you a huge landscape with nothing to do. At least with assassins creed you could attack the guards and just see your friends scaling buildings and air assassinating people. Its the dream game and one of the coolest games out there and being able to do it with 4-8 would be amazing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RDR does have a guild system so to speak. but they call them posses. i was disappointed with RDR's free roam. shooting/killing other people is the main objective. i imagined we could just meet up with cool people about new austin and ride the desert, bs, shoot the shiz, and enjoy the game's scenery. but because there's so much pressure/rewards for killing strangers and being outlaws, we can't.

the more i play online and consider the other possibilities, the more i realize online gaming is such a delicate subject. what the game company wants, what someone else wants, and what i want are totally different.

obliviondoll
11-25-2010, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirPhist:
the more i play online and consider the other possibilities, the more i realize online gaming is such a delicate subject. what the game company wants, what someone else wants, and what i want are totally different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hope you have a PS3.

LittleBigPlanet 2 is coming in Jan, make your own game for up to 4 players online or offline. :P

Yumesama
11-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Free roam would be fun, BUT it would be a lot of work for it to be better than "meh".

I think aomething that could work better would be a co-op mode wit co-op missions for 2-4 players.

Think freeroam without story missions or sidequests, but all the borgia towers, better guarded.

kikook222
11-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not going to lie, I didn't read all of what you said, but other than you nice pun in the title, I do agree that a free roam would be fun. They could easily do a "Red Dead Redemption" like free roam.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I know...
I've been waiting for a good game for about 2 years now.
There are good games, they usually last about 4-6 hours.
Burnout Paradise lasted about 2 years... its very very old now.
I'm suprised after getting tired of Burnout, and it taking nearly 2 years, that there isn't anything else in the universe that can keep me busy for more then a couple of hours.
It kills me how people will make really bad games with good online and really good games with bad online (or none whatsoever)
If Need For Speed kept their **** together, i would have had games to play all along...
They used to have free roam, then they got rid of it... thats even worse than Assassin's Creed's situation. Why the **** would you downgrade your game? "Here's an idea, lets get rid of the stuff we already worked into our games! Great idea!"
Sadly, i think Midnight Club Los Angelas was the last free roam racing game to come out. That was like 2007 or early 2008...
They just don't make free roam games like at all.
The world has officially deleted my gaming genre.
No more open-world, sandbox, free roam etc...
It's like whatever music you love being wiped off the face of the planet.
I have really high hopes for Test Drive Unlimited 2, which comes out in February... although its been delayed (to that date) so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Need For Speed used to be my favorite series on PS2, now they have went fail. The racing simulators they make are terrible and NFS Undercover was a piece of crap... NFS Most Wanted was a masterpiece in my opinion... then they went and destroyed something great.
100% of my time on Midnight Club Los Angelas was spent driving around the city as fast as i could, not going anywhere... just driving. Though i got to know the community overtime as it was quite small, and got quite involved.
It was as if you went to school everyday and played MCLA, you knew everyone... which made it really entertaining.
I don't like playing online without my friends, its boring.
I may as well be playing offline if i'm playing without my friends... especially on call of duty where you are in and out of rooms every 2 seconds, you don't get to know anybody... I don't know why, but i don't usually enjoy doing things by myself... It usually bores the hell out of me and i wish i had some people to chill with. Thats why MCLA why so awesome, it had like 300 regular users... It's like i had 300 friends (and enemies) on almost all the time. Playing cod without friends is very boring, also frustrating as 99% of the people on there are ******ed.

I guess its a dying genre... I wouldn't play games period if it wasn't for them.
My best times when i was younger are on games like Need For Speed Most Wanted, racing around with cops all the time... thats how i usually played NFS, in police chases... it was fun.
I guess nobody else cares enough for these kinds of games to be made anymore, because theres none...

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Old games with good online free roam:
- Burnout Paradise
- GTA IV
- Midnight Club Los Angelas
- Test Drive Unlimited

New games with good online free roam:
- No such thing yet exists, i don't even think anything from 2009 fits here.

Future games with good online free roam:
- Test Drive Unlimited 2 (From what i know)
- Driver San Francisco

Old games that needed online free roam (I'm not sure they all didn't have it)
- Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Bully (Made by Rockstar)
- Driv3r
- Driver Parallel Lines
- Fallout 3
- Far Cry 2 (It had online, was it free roam?)
- GTA San Andreas (I don't remember if there was or not)
- Just Cause
- InFamous
- All the Need For Speed's that didn't have it (but had offline free roam)
- Prince of Persia
- Prototype

Recent games that need online free roam (that have it offline)
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
- Fallout New Vegas
- Just Cause 2
- The new mafia game (that might? i know nothing about it)
- Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (Released '10 November 16th)
- The Saboteur

Basically, alot of older games had it... some of the new games do but none of them have multiplayer... The odd ones are Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, they both came out on the same day... they both have free roam, they both have multiplayer, but neither of them have multiplayer free roam...

I'm afraid this pattern will continue, in the past 2 years i don't believe even 1 multiplayer free roam game has come out... Still there hasn't. (If it has its probably a terrible game that nobody on my list would even play anyway)

Every year there are less and less of the games i love...
Give it 5 more years and free roam will never exist again... Unless GTA sticks around. A new GTA comes out what, ever 3-5 years... thats alot of time to spend on 1 game... (3 years)...
Its frustrating that a company would make an entire free roam map and not have it online... i understand the problems but it has something alot of other games don't have... which is free roam. So where else am i suppose to focus? Brotherhood is a step closer than anything else out right now, even though its so far away... It's like its taunting me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif...
It's like listen to an electric guitar that isn't plugged in... The guitar is awesome and all, its just missing something... and the company forgot to design it to be used with an amp.... so they would have to redesign the whole guitar for it to work.... ahhhhhh

jamom1
11-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Absolutley, this is the most important post/thread on the forum, I total 100% with Hunched, to have a free "roam" in this game would be out of this world'' oh the possibilitys, so to Ubisoft get up out of your rocking chair and make this happen, please !

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 05:16 PM
The thing is that i played Burnout Paradise for 2 years... I never really wanted to play anything else because nothing caught my eye.
Once i finally got bored, which took forever, i realized i was screwed because there was nothing to play anymore...
I basically made my life off of GTA, Need For Speed, and Burnouts.
Burnout Paradise is the only free roam burnout, and they haven't made a sequel.
GTA's take forever to be released once a new one comes out, much longer than most games...
Need For Speed has basically, for whatever reason, given up on their free roam games...
So i'm left like "Wtf?" with nothing to play anymore.
Rockstar just came out with Redemption, which probably took place of GTA... so the next GTA is very very far away... and redemption is boring so thats like a 5-8 year gap of nothing good from rockstar.
Basically i've had nothing to play for a very long time... and i think i'm starting to go insane as now i'm trying to get a giant corporation to listen to me. I cannot do my only hobby http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Midnight club is also ONE of the only free roam games... guess who its made by? ROCKSTAR!.... So clearly another midnight club is very far away... Rockstar cannot work on 964967947 games at the same time -.-
It would take them forever to do anything.
I've basically been screwed in gaming for over 2 and a half years now... and it looks like i still have another 4 years minimum before something i can actually play is released! YAY!

obliviondoll
11-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Actually....

I can kind of retract some of my earlier complaints about a free-roam being unplayable.

Problem is, you can't do it and give players control over the combat.

Players don't play as Ezio, they play as one of their Assassin recruits. But let players customise the colour scheme of characters at "Assassin" rank, so there's a measure of extra variety.

Have player combat actions mostly handled by AI (hold R1 and your character has a percentage chance of countering based on their level, press square/X (whichever console you're on) to attempt an assassination on a highlighted target, otherwise your character will just automatically fight. You have control over movement as well, and can break from the fight by sprinting, same as usual.

No, it's not as cool as having full control over your fights, but it would mostly circumvent lag-related issues.

And the majority of co-op fights will boil down to defensive actions + friends assassinating each other's attackers from behind. Kind of like the AI Assassins tend to do in a fight.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 06:20 PM
That actually makes perfect sense now that i think about it.
It's obvious that the target you have highlighted you will fight.
Now the disarm's, counter-kill, counter-grab's are where it gets tricky.
The overall targeting system should be 100% fine, thus meaning guards and other online assassins would have no problems fighting eachother.

Now the problem is the counter-kills, grabs, disarms and so on.
You know how they play that cinematic camera whenever you do these?
Or sometimes you will be able to kill instantly with 2-3 hits quickly in a row.
Thats where the problem lies, because we know you can target people in
manhunt and wanted... we just don't have weapons because of these
insta kill problems. They should not be too hard to remove, after all they added all these perks and equipment for multiplayer, some of which seems complex... some of which required graphic reworking and such... so removing should not be at the top of the challenge list...

I am completely against your idea of the higher level has a better chance of blocking than a lower level... I believe it should be based completely upon the weapon your using.
For example, if your using a dagger and i'm using a warhammer, i will have a
better chance at blocking than you do... because of the weapon.
Certain weapons however could be unlocked at higher ranks, but atleast the rational for being able to block better is more fair. (Plus low levels could have weapons that block just as well as the high levels weapons... but perhaps the low levels will do less damage than the higher levels... which balances it damagewise and keeps the blocking equal to the type of weapon you are using.)

I honestly wish Ubisoft would listen to us... we would need so many people to vote... we already have a majority by far but its only like 40 votes total http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If we could convince them somehow to put a similar poll up on the front page on the main Ubisoft website it would get WAY more votes... I don't even know how to get them to consider such a suggestion though.

For free rome removing all the "specials" that allow you to completely dominate the singleplayer AI would need to be removed. Which should not be a mission impossible.

Also, if they were already planning such an idea for other game modes involving weapons they could program the game so you could not perform such actions on other players, but when an AI borgia is targetted the game can tell the difference... think of it like this

They keep the identical singleplayer combat mode in multiplayer, then when they add combat for player vs player they could enter a code for all assassins that is different from all AI players.
For example, lets say all borgia have the code "01".
So when you engage combat its programmed to allow you to do everything from singleplayer to the ai, basically replicate the guards for multiplayer...
So you would be able to counter-kill and disarm GUARDS online.
For assassins, program them differently than the AI. Lets say they are code "02". So when in combat with an assassins it basically registers an alternate combat system.... which would not be hard...
How do you think 2 weapons, both equal in stats (Sword of Altair and Dagger of Brutus) have different special kills? They had to program the weapon differently... same idea, but for people online.
Also, they make it so you cannot engage combat with your assassin recruits in singleplayer... they are AI just like the borgia, but they are programmed differently....
They could easily find a way to do that, but add certain combat elements so we could still fight but without the specials...
same way certain guards cannot always be disarmed in singleplayer, they adjusted that... so more than likely they could remove it...
Anything is possible, thats why AI in singleplayer fights different between a brute and a spearmen... they are programmed to be different people, which is why you also cannot just attack brutes, you have to kcik them... So they can really do whatever but there could be possible glitches at first until testing was complete.

obliviondoll
11-25-2010, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hunched:
I am completely against your idea of the higher level has a better chance of blocking than a lower level... I believe it should be based completely upon the weapon your using.
For example, if your using a dagger and i'm using a warhammer, i will have a
better chance at blocking than you do... because of the weapon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You missed the part where I said you play as one of the in-game upgradable Assassins from your brotherhood, yes?

The weapon you have would affect this as well, obviously.

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Imma try to hide this spoiler, but when you fight "that guy" at the end of the game, i'm pretty sure you couldn't counter-kill him.
If anybody in here says something along the lines of "Thats impossible"... they know nothing about computers...
ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be edited... that is a fact...
Although it is also obvious that a game is like a giant working puzzle...
Messing around with one piece could have an affect on another...
This is why you don't hack computers or gamesaves unless you know what your doing, because you touch the wrong thing the wrong way and another piece tries to interact with the piece you just modified.... you can "corrupt" things... It's like if you could perform surgery and alter someones DNA, sure you can edit it, but it will have effects on other things as well.

Its clear that its possible to edit many things, think of EVERY single person ever in single player... they are all AI, but many of them are different... programming is a wonderful thing. From allies, assassins, targets, bosses, citizens, etc.

The reason i say replicate the Borgia for multiplayer is because we don't really want ot overpower them... they are fine as they are, because the borgia cannot counter-kill you, and theres no reason to disable our ability to counter-kill the borgia online.

For player vs. player they would have to remove the cinematic, so clearly that would effect the counter-kill... as the camera would not do what it usually does. If they just remove your ability to counter kill other players than its fine... because i think i have proven the combat system is determined upon your target, not yourself. Thats why in singleplayer while fighting different enemies, the fights are different in which options you have... this is because the enemies are programmed differently and you remain the same.
So if they do not touch the borgia, and edit online players they could disable the counterkill. It lies in the hunted not the hunter. Otherwise if the counter-kill was programmed into ezio himself, you would be able to counter kill every single enemy in single player...

Plus those papal guards i believe they are called, they dodge you 90% you attempt to attack them... They programmed brutes to constantly block your attacks, and papal guards to constantly dodge your attacks... so clearly the enemies are programmed differently and not you...

So if they keep the borgia the same, and program all the assassins exactly the same, but different than the borgia, it will work... think about it.

Imagine you were in single player, but all these assassins were chasing you... they could make the assassins different than the borgia... same for onliine.

The same way papal guards are different from brutes, borgia are different than assassins. Which puts assassins on a level playing field with proper functions.

Don't get confused just because you are not AI. It does not matter whether you are AI or not... Technically, you are a piece of programmed material and your controller is just feeding it...
The game still programs you, whether you control or not... The game has programmed what you are doing... It controls your health, you being targetted, how high you can jump, how fast you can run...

Just because your not AI does not mean you cannot not have programmed limitations, which means it is possible to remove these specific actions...
Ubisoft controls what your limits are... obviously...
If they didn't you could jump 9000 feet and run 300 mph and have infinite health etc... but they programmed how high you can jump, how fast you can run, so they can program whether you can be counter-killed or not.

All online players would be programmed the same, so if they removed the ability to counter-kill all assassins... then clearly no assassins would be able to counterkill one another...
Just like how all papal guards and all brutes are different, but identical to their pertaining class...

All brutes are identical to eachother, all papal guards are identical to eachother... but brutes and papal guards are different at the same time.
I have fought the two enemies at the same time, which means they are different... as i still am able to block and do everything i was able to do before... but what i can do to my target is different between them... because they are different, which effects what i can do the them...
So they can do the same for online... plus with instakill and all removed.
If you were having a sword fight with another assassin, the only way to kill eachother would to hit eachother repeatedly... thus your internet connection being better would not be the reason why you won, as it would be with an instantkill...

Health would be the same as in single player, but it would be located around the map in preset spawn locations for you to grab.

Weapons could be unlocked by rank or could be located like the health in locations around the map.

Guns would not be overpowered, as you have to get quite close to lock on and it, could be like the health and need ammunition refilled... you could maybe carry a max of 10 ammo.

This stuff is possible, if you know anything about programming...
You can edit the value's and amounts of many different items...
But i've pointed out many places in the game where this "programming" sets people apart... its the only reason citizens, borgia, assassins, allies whoever are different... if they could not be programmed everybody in the entire city of rome would be identical... They have also programmed the combat between different enemies apart. So who's to say you cannot program the fighting between different groups online? The beauty of it is all brutes are exactly the same, all spearmen are exactly the same, all papal guards are exactly the same... Each group is identical to each and every person that it pertains to, though different from any other group obtaining another type of identical people.

So all borgia could be identical to their type, normal, papal, brute, spearmen...

And all assassins would be identical... equal values and all...

All assassins would pertain to the same group, and that group would be programmed for all persons in it... Thus all assassins would be identical as they would all be apart of the same group or program id number which controls what the character is like.

It's hard to explain if you don't know anything about programming...

Dreamic
11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
To sum the long previous post up shortly

If Ubisoft has the ability to edit the combat system among enemies in single player, then they would have the ability to edit the combat system among all assassins.

Do not think of yourself as an individual, you are an assassin as is everybody else playing in the room.
You would all be classified as assassins, and part of a group.
This group you are in control's what you can and cannot do, and the same rules apply to everyone in it.
We can lable this group "Assassins" or "Online players"

Then there is a big group call Borgia.
I consists of multiple smaller groups.
These groups could be called 1, 2, 3 , and 4.
It works the same as the Assassin's group, as everybody in group one would be identical. Everybody in group 2 would be identical, same with 3 and 4.
But nobody in any one of those groups is like someone from another.
For example, nobody in group 1 is like anyone in group 2. Nobody in group 4 is like anyone in group 3. It does not matter what order.
But all the groups consist of IDENTICAL CLONES as they are basically robots or your television screen that have been programmed for what they can and cannot do, the same apply to Assassin's if i modify the group.
So if i disable counter-kill on the Assassin's defensive system, it will be impossible for anybody of any kind to counter kill any assassin. ever. because i made it that way.

obliviondoll
11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hunched:
Imma try to hide this spoiler, but when you fight "that guy" at the end of the game, i'm pretty sure you couldn't counter-kill him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You couldn't. Also, a couple of enemy types (Papal Guard and Brutes) and bosses, when attacking, would normally interrupt your counter, but if you taunt them, you'll get a chance of pulling the counter off on their next attack. Doesn't guarantee instakill though.

If you were having a sword fight with another assassin, the only way to kill eachother would to hit eachother repeatedly... thus your internet connection being better would not be the reason why you won, as it would be with an instantkill... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So you're suggesting they strip the ability to block, counter, and combo-kill, which basically means there's no combat system at all. Or do you want to keep the ability to block, but strip counters, which means players will be able to just stay on the defensive and be invulnerable?

Even with this, lag would mess things up - any game that's even vaguely recent and has a melee weapon that isn't instant kill in multiplayer proves that.

I'd prefer my suggestion.

Players take on the role of an assassin - but NOT Ezio/Altair/Whoever AC3 follows.

These characters could conceivably be trainable recruits from single-player, if they have something similar to Brotherhood's BAM system.

If that's the case, having a higher-level character increases your chance of landing a counter when you're actively staying on the defensive (hold the block button), but this prevents you from attacking. When NOT actively attacking or defending, your character will automatically block, and you can move normally or use X (on PS3 - A on XBox) to dodge in the direction you're moving.

You could also press the attack button to make your character perform an aggressive move toward a targeted enemy - if they're engaging you directly, you'll string several attacks together and the character will occasionally land an instant-kill attack on a weakened enemy, if you aim it for an enemy engaging your friend, it'll do an assassination from behind. If you use this button outside of combat, you can instant-kill guards with the hidden blade.

This way, lag would have FAR less impact on the combat system, but it would still feel like you're in an Assassin's Creed game.

Dreamic
11-26-2010, 01:10 AM
I really wish we could get somebody in here from Ubisoft...
I like your idea as well, honestly either of them could do, maybe even combined... it would also be nice to hear what Ubisoft has in mind.

This idea has potential, i know hardly anybody has voted but the percentage of yes or possibly is high... It's nowhere near the number needed for them to take action (probably).

I would love for this idea to be acknowledge by Ubisoft, maybe they could take the poll to a higher level... put it somewhere that thousands of people would vote...

Then they can see the true results of the community from a large amount of people, and it would not seem rational to go against the majority of the community... After all your job is to provide a product for the community that is enjoyable, and if people think this idea would increase sales (because more people who enjoy it), then why wouldn't you acknowledge the idea?

If there isn't any major issue preventing them from doing this, i think they should go for it. As far as i'm concerned we could all be wrong with our theories on why Free Rome may or may not be possible. I don't believe anybody who has actually worked on the development of this game has told us it cannot be done. As for me, i'm just guessing of possible ideas... i have no definite way of knowing what possible errors Ubisoft could encounter by trying this...

Opal-Blue
11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Re </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd have to agree. This game is only as good as the replay is. After you completely story mode, and finish off the few remaining quests, the game lacks motivation after that point. MP free roam is NEEDED, unless Ubi wants to see a decrease in prophet from this game. I know once I've gotten 100% completion, I'm selling it. SP is AWESOME and could only imagine the possibilities if that add that same feature to MP.

obliviondoll
11-29-2010, 07:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Opal-Blue:
I'd have to agree. This game is only as good as the replay is. After you completely story mode, and finish off the few remaining quests, the game lacks motivation after that point. MP free roam is NEEDED, unless Ubi wants to see a decrease in prophet from this game. I know once I've gotten 100% completion, I'm selling it. SP is AWESOME and could only imagine the possibilities if that add that same feature to MP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm personally never selling this game.

I can happily pick up and fight and have fun with the first AC still, as well as AC2 and now I have Brotherhood as well.

Also... Prophet? They're going to see less people predicting the future because they're not putting in free-roam multiplayer?

Oh... You meant "profit"... Should have realised, sorry.

Silliness aside though, Can you see the difficulties a lot of players would have with free-roam if they dumb the combat system down as heavily as they'd need to for it to work?

Because most players would describe it as something I'm not allowed to say on these forums.

I HAVE posted a suggestion for a way it would work, without compromising the feel of AC too badly, Hunched has made a suggestion which lets the players retain control, but wouldn't feel like AC any more. Which do you think is the better compromise?

xTheCombinex
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I would love a free roam. Was talking about it to some friends and we all loved the idea.

Go for it Ubisoft!

Royal1Wun
11-30-2010, 04:10 AM
This is a great idea, I have not gotten the game yet (debating a good time to head to wal-mart, figured the tech guys wouldnt be there at 4 am) and reading through this forum I was amazed it didnt have MP free roam.

A simple MP free roam would be amazing but if Ubisoft really wanted to blow the console gaming community off its candy *** they could create a MP Free Roam similar to World of Warcraft.

I use to play the game and it was great you could just do stuiped stuff all day long or pair up with buddies and do something worthwhile. Im sure that Ubi wont go through those lengths to create a engine such as that but gosh...couldnt you just imagine the limitless possibilites you would have?

I love this idea and really do wish Ubi was more involved with their fans, as much so as Treyarch is dedicated to theirs.

Well its 6 am and I hope the guys at wal-mart are ready to sell me this game.

StatewidePanda
11-30-2010, 05:05 AM
It would be fun but you would need like 300 people in Rome with you. It could get very lonely with just 4 people! It wont happen but it would still be cool.

Lithos2009
11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
I get the feeling that PvP would be a bit complicated in free roam. But, as I've said in another topic, if we could play as Ezio's Assassins doing co-op missions in Rome I'd be very happy.

It probably wouldn't be difficult to have races as well. Whoever gets from point A to point B first is the winner.

To make it more interesting you could have some missions just waiting for you that you would have to do with your team mates in stealth and if you were to **** up, your target would be unavailable for a while.

It would make sense that there was no PvP, as Assassins don't kill Assassins and that would cause a desynch.

dkiller0
11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
These are some great ideas. If ubisoft works on them a little bit they could make free roam work. PLZZZ PLZZ PLZZ do it UBIsoft!! someone make a poll about it.

TreFacTor
11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I would love multiplayer free roam

-At least 10 selectable and customizable personas

-with objective based team (4vs4) missions that could be triggered by the "head assassin" (randomly picked after each completed mission or activity.)

-Point to point races on foot or horseback

-Tower defense (4vs4)

-Some type of "Horde mode"

-Capture the flag

The fighting abilities need to remain the same though because dumbing down the technique would make the game unplayable for me.

Lithos2009
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Hmmm, this tower thing would be interesting. I was underwhelmed by the actual Borgia Towers in the game... They were just so easy!

c0l3rs
12-01-2010, 10:05 AM
That's a great idea i hope they listen, but i doubt it based off how they have acted in response to the animus glitch i doubt they'll ever do anything that the customer would want.

KraNkIt
12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry if this has been said before (the thread is getting a bit long now... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) but I really think that this is where they are going with AC3. Ubi did seem to listen to players and analyze the market if you compare AC1 to AC2 - no one can complain anymore that missions are too repetitive even though the core concept of the game stayed the same!

Near the start, when I heard Lucy saying that she was trying to contact other teams throughout the world, funny how I felt that the game was going more and more into the MMO direction and that ACB could be a way for Ubi to test the feasibility of the multiplayer aspect of this game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I didn't see how Desmond could be played like Altair in the present era because of guns but they already showed us a few ways it could be.

obliviondoll
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TreFacTor:
The fighting abilities need to remain the same though because dumbing down the technique would make the game unplayable for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a great post until this part.

Look to my posts at the beginning of the thread for why this ISN'T going to happen.

Or keep reading...

Assassin's Creed has a TIMING-BASED combat system.

This is fine, when you're a single player, or 2 - 4 players on a single console.

Playing online would render this TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE.

This is why online games NEVER have TIMING-BASED combat systems.

They're about button mashing, or about activated abilities with cooldowns, or about stat-based damage over time, or a combination of two or all three of those options.

Assassin's Creed in online free-roam CAN'T have the normal combat system and still be playable.

Just not going to happen.

mccreight_L
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I would love it if this free 'rome' idea came can to fruition.

If Ubisoft ever did create a free roam feature, I could see ACB in the spot light for long time MP game play value.

However I just don't see it happening. The complications involved with it would just be to much~ obliviondoll explained it pretty well.

One can dream though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

RunnerGroucho
12-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Free roam in an AC game is a good idea, but don't expect it for Brotherhood. Essentially, the game has to be built from the ground up to support it (like the excellent Red Dead Redemption).

M_arkel
12-19-2010, 12:14 PM
pLEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSEEEEEE uBISOFT. Make a free roam . This is all im asking. please.

marq08
12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_arkel:
pLEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSEEEEEE uBISOFT. Make a free roam . This is all im asking. please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha way to bump a topic more than 2 weeks old

SIMAN166
12-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I voted yes. That would be awesome. It would be cool to have a Gamemode like Halo Reach's Invasion inside Rome where one side is Assassins from the Brotherhood and the other is Templars/Borgia Guards. You would have to do stuff like Loot chests and open gates etc, with the end killing a Borgia Captain or something like that.