PDA

View Full Version : Taking-off from concrete...



potver
03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi there,

I still have difficulties taking off from concrete runways. On grassy strips all,s well. No swings to the side( Mossie) and a straight take-off.
But on concrete , http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/potver/uitsnede3.jpg I tried it all , throttling-up slowly, Throttle 80% and let it go, tailwheel down(stick back) but after 50 metres or so it swings to the right and no rudder input will help.
It,s the same with ac. on icey strips.
Bug???

domenlovrec
03-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I've never had this kind of troubles. :S odd

elphifou
03-05-2006, 03:14 PM
What plane in particular ?

berg417448
03-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Does locking your tail wheel help at all? It does for me.

slo_1_2_3
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
does it just kinda fling ya in a straight line after you hit about 30mph?
if thats what happens then you prolly have the realistic takoefoffs or whatever it is in the deifficulty its something along those lines about takeoff in the difficulty settings try that

p-11.cAce
03-05-2006, 04:04 PM
When you fly any tailwheel ac you have to fly it from the moment you start moving - be sure to lock the tailwheel and use ALOT of rudder to keep yourself lined up. If you really get out of shape use a touch of differential brakes to get yourself back on track.

danjama
03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
we dont have differential braking in this game, not without modding pedals up anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

However tapping brake with rudder helps until you get your speed up!

Wilburnator
03-05-2006, 05:50 PM
We have differential braking... it just doesn't work the way it does in a real modern aircraft (separate toe brakes). For example, if you apply full rudder to the left and brakes at the same time, the left wheel brakes and the right doesn't. With a little practice, you can spin a plane around on the ground from a stop with almost zero turn radius. You can't do that without differential braking.

danjama
03-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Wilburnator:
We have differential braking... it just doesn't work the way it does in a real modern aircraft (separate toe brakes). For example, if you apply full rudder to the left and brakes at the same time, the left wheel brakes and the right doesn't. With a little practice, you can spin a plane around on the ground from a stop with almost zero turn radius. You can't do that without differential braking.

wrong

BlakJakOfSpades
03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
once you gain some speed your tail comes off the ground and your locked tailwheel is no longer helping you, you must then correct with rudder alone, just keep at it

p-11.cAce
03-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Dan we DO have differential braking in game - you could not turn around on a carrier without it.

Akronnick
03-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilburnator:
We have differential braking... it just doesn't work the way it does in a real modern aircraft (separate toe brakes). For example, if you apply full rudder to the left and brakes at the same time, the left wheel brakes and the right doesn't. With a little practice, you can spin a plane around on the ground from a stop with almost zero turn radius. You can't do that without differential braking.

wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you're wrong, he's right

And to the original poster, you mentioned you were flying the mossie. Is it possible that you have seperate engine start enabled, and that you forgot to enable both engines before you start your takeoff roll? If you go to full power on one engine only, no amount of rudder in the world will keep you going straight.

potver
03-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks for your advise guys.
I used the Mosquito on the little island for the Normandy coast.
On other concrete srips it,s the same.
I trim my AC, using rudder directly, stick back for the tailwheel to steer straight, but suddenly (60 KMPH) it swings right and rudder input is useless.http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/potver/uitsnede3.jpg

Dew-Claw
03-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Are you selecting both engines before powering up?
If not your only adding thrust to 1 engine, thats why it spins.
You can map a "select all engines" key in the controls section.

potver
03-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Yes I did, otherwise it swings to one site right away when you throttle up.
I,m using a MS Sidewinder Prec. 2.http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/potver/uitsnede3.jpg

B16Enk
03-06-2006, 06:46 AM
I trim my AC, using rudder directly, stick back for the tail wheel to steer straight, but suddenly (60 KMPH) it swings right and rudder input is useless.

I let the tail come up when it wants to, adding throttle gradually to accelerate.

Rudder input will be greater at take off start, but as tail lifts less rudder input is required.
Aileron awareness is a must too.

I have noticed that twin engined AC (HE111 A20 and Mossie) can be very difficult to control at high throttle settings with low speeds when tail wheel is in contact with ground.

I never lock tail wheel (couldn't be bothered) yet I can apply full throttle and finish take off run at around 200Kph....

Wilburnator
03-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilburnator:
We have differential braking... it just doesn't work the way it does in a real modern aircraft (separate toe brakes). For example, if you apply full rudder to the left and brakes at the same time, the left wheel brakes and the right doesn't. With a little practice, you can spin a plane around on the ground from a stop with almost zero turn radius. You can't do that without differential braking.

wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After reading that response I have to ask... do you even know what differential braking is? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

NonWonderDog
03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Differential braking is implemented 100% realistically for period Russian and British planes. German and American planes used the "modern" method of separate toe brakes for differential braking. The latter method is not modelled in the sim.

arjisme
03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Little island off the Normandy coast... Hmm. Not sure if it is the same little island used in the Battle over Britain user-made campaign, but I did have terrible trouble controling a Hurricane on that island. Now, the weather was really bad, so it was the crosswinds blowing me around. Might be your problem too. Try turning off weather effects.

BaldieJr
03-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I wonder, if the concrete runway runs the same speed as the wheels but in the oposing direction, will the plane take-off?

Treetop64
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
I wonder, if the concrete runway runs the same speed as the wheels but in the oposing direction, will the plane take-off?

God! PLEEEEZE don't start that! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif