PDA

View Full Version : A 'Breathing' City

TJByrum2
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I think Assassin's Creed should build on the idea of a 'breathing city'.

Well, as you may have noticed, a thread 'Soulless Civilians in AC2', which is what made me think of this.

Let me use some civilian activities from Fable II. In Fable II, each civilian has their own house (save the beggars), each civilian will wake in the morning, go about their daily business, and then go home at night. During the day, they either go and open their shops, 'appear' to purchase and barter goods, and the kids play, and much more. Civilians actually get up and go to JOBS.

I think Ubi could use a little of this, just to make the cities feel more 'alive'.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Feedback?

Abeonis
06-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Whilst I do like how Fable II's AI was written in this aspect, I do not feel it would be suitable for ACII. The main reason being the sheer difference in size between the two games.

It would take up far too much processing power to have every single, or even just half of the civilians in ACII live their lives to a clock; you also have to then consider the fact that people will want to go into those houses, so thats even more memory taken up detailing the interiors of the houses. Just not worth it IMO.

TJByrum2
06-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Oh yes I do see what you mean.

Well maybe we could work something out eh? I do like how AC's cities are large, It just makes me want to play AC2 even more.

M-dahaka
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
well, you can't forgot, the reason the streets are so filled with AI in AC is to be able to blend in with the crowd. If they gave every AI a routine, that'd make for tons of scripted stuff, so no random groups to walk with and blend in with. I suppose they could script some stuff, but IMO, they need those random AI groups to blend in with.
In Fable, you don't need that.