PDA

View Full Version : How does the prop pich work in game?

psykopatsak
11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I have tried to adjust the pitch sevral times, but im still a big questionmark. if i lower it, my engines RPM lowers? shouldn't it increase?

logically if i lowers the pich, it should be easier for the engines and therefore the RPM should increase?

Choctaw111
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
It sounds like you already have the Engine RPM mapped to a button, key or slider.
The RPM adjusts in a way that the lower the number the higher the angle of the blades.
Zero prop pitch is the equivalent to feathering the prop while 100 prop pitch is reducing the angle to a more usable level for thrust but also causes an increase in RPM.
On some aircraft, using the manual prop pitch (default "shift 0" I think) and having the prop pitch on 100 will burn up some engines.

PanzerAce
11-08-2009, 01:43 PM
You seem to have prop pitch already figured out psykopatsak. If the plane doesn't have an auto pitch control (like the 109 and 190 do), the only times you should be adjusting pitch really are when you're just cruising along, or about to engage in ACM. Drop the pitch when cruising to save fuel, crank it to 100 when you're going to be firewalling the throttle to engage other aircraft.

ibeagle
11-08-2009, 03:48 PM
0% prop pitch does not equal feathering, it takes the biggest "bite". 100%pp takes the smallest bite. Prop pitch changes the pitch of the blades between an arbitrary maximum and minimum with 100 increments available. There is no relationship between pitch angle and prop pitch % value although 100% pp usually keeps the rpm within the maximum allowable under normal level flight conditions. The important thing is that it affects rpm. Prop pitch control is often called rpm control. Push the lever forward and the rpm increases.

M_Gunz
11-08-2009, 05:12 PM
0% in a 109 is feathered. You do that when the engine quits to cut down on prop drag. It's not cutting at all
when the prop is stopped.

100% is fine but in a 109 on manual it's a short while to blow the engine up except in a hard climb, gotta turn
it down as you gain speed. I try and stick with 2600 rpm using both pitch and throttle.

100% in a CSP plane just varies the prop pitch to put more or less load on the engine to get 100% rpm. Try 100%
prop pitch at 70% power in a P-47 and run it out to full trimmed speed at 1000m and then bring the rpms down to
70% instead of 100% and see which way you have to trim the nose to stay level.

Running a CSP at 100% rpm and about 30% power is how I make approach to land. I start to gain speed from losing
height and when the engine can't keep up the prop is being driven by the air, higher drag that keeps speed gain
down.

100% rpm is the hottest running rpm you have and it's not always the fastest unless you never go less than 100%
power or make extreme high speed dives.

mortoma
11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
In the game ( not in real life ) reducing PP is a great way to pick a surge of acceleration. I use this cheat all the time. For example, if you're flying slow at maybe 250Kph, and then go full throttle, you'll of course start to accelerate. But if you reduce PP then you'll surge forward faster. In real life doing this to a CSP plane could load the engine down too much and stress it. At least if you reduced it too far, too fast. But in the game it's harmless since loading engine damage is not modeled.

I also do this repeatedly. I'll start to accel at full throttle, reduce the PP from 100% down to maybe 70%, then go back up to 100%, then after a few seconds go back to around 80%, then maybe one more time around from 100% down to 90%. Works miracles for almost all planes that have CSP. Will work for 109s too if you put her in manual. Just make sure you go to 50% PP in the BEFORE you switch to manual with the 109s. Otherwise you'll go past red line immediately.

M_Gunz
11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
You can do the equivalent on a bike or in a manual shift car as a way to pick up acceleration from cruise, it works
to drop a gear, rev up and raise a gear back up. With a turbo or supercharger it should be more. You're just using
stored rotational energy for short bursts of speed and that does work IRL.

BillSwagger
11-08-2009, 11:44 PM
whats with the sig Gunz?

Its like saying, "when people look up at the blue sky they really find that they will see a blue sky."
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

robtek1957
11-09-2009, 08:06 AM
There is a small but significant difference, BillSwagger
It say's when they start to find out what the plane is able to do they only find what THEY can do with that plane.
The results differ with the pilots!

TS_Sancho
11-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
whats with the sig Gunz?

Its like saying, "when people look up at the blue sky they really find that they will see a blue sky."

I like the Mgunz quote "I can buy a scalpel, that doesn't make me a surgeon" in NA85's sig.

Pure Ubizoo awesomeness

"

K_Freddie
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Remember, where-ever you go, that's where you are!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

M_Gunz
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
whats with the sig Gunz?

There are a lot of players who think they are natural qualified test pilots who can wring it all out of any plane.
A lot of them don't see the need for trim or rudder or any kind of study because they're just that damn good.
Two of them will take different planes up and then switch to prove which plane is better, not just which they both
are better with but actual and absolutely better. Different times they even post about it. And we still get posts
by those who know what Plane X can do and can't, like how easily a P-51 loses wings, or all about energy retention
in turns, etc. My favorite thing about them is how fast they yell cheat when you do what they can't.

Even "blue skies" are not the same, one day to the next, one place to the next.

M_Gunz
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by TS_Sancho:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
whats with the sig Gunz?

I like the Mgunz quote "I can buy a scalpel, that doesn't make me a surgeon" in NA85's sig.

Pure Ubizoo awesomeness

" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a response to one idiot posting how he uses historic test methods so his results must be right.
50% historic test method plus 50% my-own-special-way is simple misuse of a tool (the historic methods)
which brought me to writing that quote. Tools don't make the craftsman.

TS_Sancho
11-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TS_Sancho:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
whats with the sig Gunz?

Pure Ubizoo awesomeness

" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a response to one idiot posting how he uses historic test methods so his results must be right.
50% historic test method plus 50% my-own-special-way is simple misuse of a tool (the historic methods)
which brought me to writing that quote. Tools don't make the craftsman. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completley agree, thats why I think its a great quote.

Avont29
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Drop your prop pitch to 95% when diving..you will increase speed, lower RPM ( as too not overheat the engine ), and save fuel consumption.

depending on the plane, you can lower prop pitch to about 70% to 85% matching the throttle to cruise and save fuel and keep engine cool.

when in a plane with auto prop pitch like the 109..you can switch it to manual and crank it to 100% prop pitch when climbing...but do NOT do this when in level flight or diving, you will kill your engine quickly.

TS_Sancho
11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Why do so few give prop pitch settings based on engine rpm?

Pay attention to boost and rpm guages, the principal is universal to all aircraft and gives you all the information to manage throttle and prop pitch.

What reason for defeating the auto prop control in favor of manual control in BF109? Its just something else to worry about and AFAIK doesnt improve performance not to mention how easily the prop overspeeds.

M_Gunz
11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Why do so few give prop pitch settings based on engine rpm?

With CSP prop pitch is a percent of max continuous rpm and they don't know or care if that's 2000 or 3000 rpm?
Uhhhhh, a P-47 in climb tests I saw started at 3000 rpm and ended at 2400 maybe due to heat, 100% down to 80%.
Does that make any difference?

Pay attention to boost and rpm guages, the principal is universal to all aircraft and gives you all the information to manage throttle and prop pitch.

My favorite is the 109 in manual. It has one more element to those you list above. AIRSPEED. The same settings I have
at the end of the takeoff run will soon destroy the engine if I leave them there simply because the faster the plane goes
the flatter the same prop pitch will be in relation to the air it passes through. The faster you go, the more coarse the
prop needs to be just to have a positive AOA in its spiral path.
I don't have to calculate in the 109, I just listen to the engine and change the pitch to keep it making the happy sound.
Sometimes I even move the throttle.

ADD: Why? _Because I like it!_ It's fun. I get more of a feel and understanding of the plane, thinking more along
'energy' lines like the low-energy path from here to there because the finger control of the prop better links me to
that. But then I've felt that way about every manual control means of transport I've owned or used. Automatic takes
me away from not just control but mindset and feel. I also prefer barefoot to shoes where I can away with it.

Avont29
11-11-2009, 05:12 PM
to keep it making the happy sound

lol

TS_Sancho
11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Why? _Because I like it!_ It's fun. I get more of a feel and understanding of the plane, thinking more along
'energy' lines like the low-energy path from here to there because the finger control of the prop better links me to
that. But then I've felt that way about every manual control means of transport I've owned or used. Automatic takes
me away from not just control but mindset and feel. I also prefer barefoot to shoes where I can away with it.

Absolutely, if manuel prop control in a 109 floats your rubber ducky then by all means have fun with it.

I am only questioning the wisdom of recommending the practice to someone who seems to be at an intermediate level in the learning curve.

My thought is there are plenty of other things going on one needs to master without adding something unnecessary. By the time one has a decent understanding of aircraft energy, how energy relates to ACM, relative merits and weaknesses of different aircraft etc. then more advanced concepts are easier to understand and apply.

M_Gunz
11-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Even a beginner swims.

doraemil
11-12-2009, 12:58 AM
I prefer to listen to the engine sounds and use them as a guage . . .

For German planes you can respond faster (and get more power) than auto prop pitch, but you blow those engines out if you leave it at 100%

TS_Sancho
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
For German planes you can respond faster (and get more power) than auto prop pitch, but you blow those engines out if you leave it at 100%

Is there a data source beyond hear say to verify your claim? I know the stock FW190 Antons are modeled in such a way that manuel pitch gives you another 100 rpm and a couple extra kph top speed but I'm skeptical that manuel prop pitch gives the BF109's a performance advantage?