PDA

View Full Version : "An internet connection is required..." Help?

Mabinogion
07-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I bought this game on Steam.

I am an AOL user.

I am in England.

I have a COMODO firewall (yes, I uninstalled it fully to check if that helped. It did not).

I run windows XP.

I like to think of myself as quite a competent PC user, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why this will not work. As the title says, I get the "An internet connection is required to play this game blahblahblah" message on the login screen.

It doesn't provoke any questions from the firewall, at no point does it ask to allow it through or block it. If COMODO was indeed causing trouble here, then it would be the first time in the 5 years of gaming under it that I have had any issue.

I have seen a lot of answers to this problem, and have attempted as many as I can (I.E. not the ones that require me to be a trained network administrator to understand), none of which have helped in the slightest.

Does anyone know how to solve this yet?

Mabinogion
07-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Ok, I solved this myself after a few hours sifting through Ubisoft's innards. I believe this to be specifically a Steam problem, where the Ubisoft Launcher has been installed incorrectly.

The simple solution was to delete the launcher (on C: Program files/Ubisoft. I'd suggest cutting and pasting it somewhere safe just in case) and reinstall it from the copy secretly held within Steam's folders. I found the installer in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\the settlers 7\redist\GameLauncher

After installing it, launcher started and asked for Ubisoft registration, then game started working.

I think Steam package cannot install Launcher. I've alerted Steam and I would recommend others do likewise, this is an unacceptable mess up on someone's part.

Hope it helps someone!