PDA

View Full Version : SSAO bug?

Diegog5
03-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Hello, I think there is a problem/bug, but it might not be a bug so I want to confirm first:

There is no SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion) when in outdoor areas, only during most of the cut scenes or in some indoor areas.

Am I the only one experiencing this, is it a bug or is this intended to keep a solid frame rate?

Is there a way to permanently enable it?

Thanks.

KingDaniel0
03-23-2011, 01:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure whether this is a bug or not, but maybe the SSAO implementation has been done to maintain a balance between FPS and Overall Gaming performance....

Real-time SSAO can 'sometimes' be a bit demanding even on High-end Video Cards, as there is little CPU usage. So maybe the post-processing/rendering has been disabled in some of the Game areas. Though SSAO can work with dynamic Scenes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Diegog5
03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Not sure whether this is a bug or not, but maybe the SSAO implementation has been done to maintain a balance between FPS and Overall Gaming performance....

Real-time SSAO can 'sometimes' be a bit demanding even on High-end Video Cards, as there is little CPU usage. So maybe the post-processing/rendering has been disabled in some of the Game areas. Though SSAO can work with dynamic Scenes.

Thanks,

I would have liked to see it implemented throughout the whole game, especially since my PC is getting 60-70 in outside areas (There is room for ssao).

By the way, they made a big deal about it before the game came out, "the PC version will have ssao...", I feel cheated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

KingDaniel0
03-24-2011, 05:14 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, don't think like that.....

Actually implementing SSAO depends on which Game engine has been used, which is ANVIL in this case, and also on the DirectX API which has been used for coding. DirectX plays a very vital role here.....

I presume AC:B is DX-9 only ? Remember, when CRYSIS and STALKER: Clear Sky came out ? How demanding the game was, even on HIGH-end rigs and Systems. But that doesn't mean SSAO always gives a performance hit/fps, nope. It is because SSAO is a pure GPU feature, and the CPU does not play a vital role here. And not everybody has got a High-end Video Card....

But anyways, the Graphics are pretty much good/awesome in Brotherhood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------