PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a Bomber

deltafan
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey guys.

I'm having some troubles preparing bombers for bombing runs. I can't seem to trim the elevators perfectly (it only stays perfectly level for about a minute before some drift occurs). Is there a trick to triming them? Or is it possible to ready the sight, put it on auto and jump between pilot and bombadier positions to check my vertical speed to make small adjustments as necessary (with the scope continuing its tracking of the target)? Or will the scope only track with the sight view toggled?

Also, if I am experiencing a crosswind and have to correct my nose, how do I tell between the heading I am actually flying and the heading my nose is pointing, so I can know have many degrees of Slid Slip to put in the sight? And while putting slid slip in, if I am flying heading 330 but my nose is pointing at 325, would I put in left or right 5 degrees?

PBNA-Boosher
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Some bombers you can put on level autopilot. You'll have to bind a control key for it. If you ever see me online in HL give me a PM, I'll teach you. Otherwise, there are some pretty nifty tutorials on Airwarfare and Mission4Today, one that I wrote, actually, several years ago.

Deedsundone
03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
It seems you do not have level stabilizer on ( go to control panel and set a key for it)

I adjust my target tracking with the bombs speed gauge to keep it on crosshair (b25 and similar bombsights).Never fiddled with that slip thing but instead I use rudder trim to keep target in crosshair.

deltafan
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Is using level autopilot realistic?

I found this tutorial:
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=240

But I get extremely confused when it says I should go to Full Positive Elevator trim, then another 37 points of positive trim. Because to me, full positive trim means it can't go farther and it says go 37 points farther than full.

Also, I could not find a setting in my controls to turn on the level stabilizer, nor does the tutorial mention slid slipe issues.

FritzGryphon
03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Level autopilot was added to simulate the pilot keeping the plane straight.

While using the bombsight you have, for all practical purposes, become the bombardier.

MEGILE
03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by deltafan:
Is using level autopilot realistic?

I would say YES!
In that you have to do two jobs at once... ie bombardier and pilot when in real life they were two seperate people

VW-IceFire
03-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Some bombers IRL did have autopilots if I'm not mistaken. They may not have been quite as perfect as ours but I think pretty close. The pilot would adjust as necessary but it was the bombardier in control of things.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

WWSpinDry
03-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by deltafan:
But I get extremely confused when it says I should go to Full Positive Elevator trim, then another 37 points of positive trim. Because to me, full positive trim means it can't go farther and it says go 37 points farther than full.

I agree; I find that statement very confusing. Anyone have a clarification to offer?

deltafan
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I decided to go with a more simplified version, not using his charts or trim settings (as they still don't work too well for me).

I did find the Level Stabilizer control, but still have a few difficulties in keeping a perfect trim, so I've decided to use Level Autopilot or hop back to pilot position from bombadier as the scope tracks to make sure vertical speed stays close to zero. They only issue I have with using level autopilot is that bombadier still had the controls during the final stages of the bombing run (of course, perhaps he had some help from the pilot in maintaining settings).

Is level stabilizer in/effective in fighters, or did they even worry about keeping a perfect constant altitude, when not in combat?

F0_Dark_P
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Level Stabilizer cant be used in fighters

But what do you mean with "difficulties in keeping a perfect trim"?

if you use Level Stabilizer the bomber will be perfectly trimed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Just use Level Stabilizer, and to turn the bomber left and right use the rudder trim

FrenziedAU
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
One guide (actually a video) I have seen about bombing suggests using rudder trim to line up on your target. I find this immensely useful, since rudder trim can be used with level stabilizer on, and doesn't affect your plane other than yaw.

WWSpinDry
03-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I've read that the level stabilizer isn't perfect: I believe there's a slow, steady descent unless you counter it with a lot of up trim. I think that's what that tutorial mentioned above was trying to explain, but the wording is confusing.

dusta01
03-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Some bombers IRL did have autopilots if I'm not mistaken. They may not have been quite as perfect as ours but I think pretty close. The pilot would adjust as necessary but it was the bombardier in control of things.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If yout watch/read interviews with b17/b24 etc pilots they talk of not liking bombing runs due to the fact they have to fly straight and level . As soon as they commenced the run the bomberdier had complete control of the plane and it was flying on an autopilot as such. Primitive form of autopilot but bombers had it .

If you find you are still slowly loosing altitude then before you engage level stabilizer give it a few clicks of positive elevator trim and you will be fine

Akronnick
03-29-2007, 09:43 PM
At some speed/altitude combinations, it may be necessary to deploy combat flaps to keep the plane from sinking.

general_kalle
03-30-2007, 07:15 AM
all planes with bombsight have level stabalizer.
But it only keeps the plane flying level understanded as aiming for the horizon.
the plane might fall although its horizontal.