PDA

View Full Version : Can you DROP the Wheels off a Jet????

AStotzer
12-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi, I was flying a Me-163 last night. One of those WWII German Wing Jets:

http://www.il2skins.com:8080/skins/screenshots/9989.jpg

And I thought that after I took off the wheels were supposed to just drop off, but they didn't. And I couldn't find any key controls that would drop them. In about 2 minutes they just broke off because of the speed.

Is there any way to drop those wheels manually??

AStotzer
12-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi, I was flying a Me-163 last night. One of those WWII German Wing Jets:

http://www.il2skins.com:8080/skins/screenshots/9989.jpg

And I thought that after I took off the wheels were supposed to just drop off, but they didn't. And I couldn't find any key controls that would drop them. In about 2 minutes they just broke off because of the speed.

Is there any way to drop those wheels manually??

berg417448
12-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Hit the "G" key just after takeoff.

LStarosta
12-05-2004, 08:56 AM
lol

AStotzer
12-05-2004, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by berg417448:
Hit the "G" key just after takeoff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I did that to no effect. Maybe I was at too high of speed? Are you sure "G" drops them?

Also, how are they supposed to land??

LStarosta
12-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Yeah, G drops them, and then hit G again to deploy the landing skid.

You know, this is just a game. Don't be hesitant to experiment what particular keys do. You won't kill yourself or anything.

Alternately, you can engage the auto-land sequence for any plane by pressing Ctrl-E.

AStotzer
12-05-2004, 09:29 AM
lmao, it's a game? Really?

As I stated, I 'did' do the 'experiment', and pressed the G key, but the results were inconclusive. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'll repeat the experiment again tonight and compare results to identify any trends in the data...

Thanks for your help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

LStarosta
12-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Yes, believe it or not, I'm not kidding when I say it's a game.

Go to your control setup in IL2 and make sure your G key is still mapped to the Gear Up/Down command.

AStotzer
12-05-2004, 11:28 AM
It is mapped to the gear. I use G all the time, (and last night) and it raised and lowered the gear on all planes with no problem, except this one.

I may have been going to fast at the time I used it on this plane. The gear just broke apart and fell off about 30 seconds after takeoff. I'm a rookie at these WWII jets. I probably shouldn't power up to 100% when taking off.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-05-2004, 11:52 AM
First off, ME163 isn't a jet, its a rocket. Second, that's how the gear works, it breaks off at a certain speed. So for takeoff go to full throttle and the carraige should fall right off shortly afterwards. To land hit the G button and a skid will extend from the bottom of the AC for landing. The flaps on the 163 act almost like dive brakes so they'll slow you down in a hurry.

VW-IceFire
12-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Landing in the Me-163 is a real blast. Its like a controlled crash landing...its really great. No wheels...just the landing skid.

If you're looking for a jet to fly, try the Me-262. Thats more "conventional". The Me-163 is a rocket with a very limited fuel supply but a whole truckload of acceleration (for WWII anyways).

LStarosta
12-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Everyone knows that controlled crash landings are the best part of IL2. It's a pity the buggers don't skid more, especially through grass.

Speaking of which, what you really have to do is take a Rufe, take off, and then jam the main float into the water at high speed. If done correctly, you can rip off the main float while keeping your engine intact and leave yourself with the two small wing floats. Then try and land the thing like a taildragger on water. Try to take off in it again and repeat. It's pretty fun.

WTE_Galway
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
you can loose the wheels on a P11c by exceeding 460kmh in a power dive .. it si much more nimble after that

Mashie_Nibblick
12-05-2004, 03:00 PM
I find myself using the Ctrl-E auto-land sequence far more often than I'd like, but at least these days, I get a free ride in a leaky dinghy as part of the bargain!

LStarosta
12-05-2004, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AStotzer:
It is mapped to the gear. I use G all the time... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd make a good Mustang pilot.