PDA

View Full Version : What throws a torpedo off course?

Washington1982
04-12-2005, 10:07 PM
If you know the range, AOB and speed of a ship and you know all the data for your torpedo, shouldn't you be able to fire at 4km (if torpedoes had that much of a range) and still hit your target? If you know all the values you need to calculate an impact point of ship and torpedo, why cant this work at long range? What throws the torpedo off course and why is is less accurate to fire at long range?

Washington1982
04-12-2005, 10:07 PM
If you know the range, AOB and speed of a ship and you know all the data for your torpedo, shouldn't you be able to fire at 4km (if torpedoes had that much of a range) and still hit your target? If you know all the values you need to calculate an impact point of ship and torpedo, why cant this work at long range? What throws the torpedo off course and why is is less accurate to fire at long range?

HelfriedSchultz
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
You just don't notice the slight inaccuracy at short range. It is still there, only more pronounced at longer ranges. The best i've ever done is sink a Dido Cruiser with 1 torpedo from over 4000m. Was a lucky shot to be sure but I was happy with it.

I've been wondering if heavy wave action will cause a shallow running torpedo to gradually drift off course. I don't know if the game is that detailed though.

cheetah70
04-12-2005, 10:54 PM
We collect our target's course by visually measuring the mast height from waterline. This is highly inaccurate at long range. Say if you got a range of 3530, and if there is 100m error which you might not know. This error is going to be carried into your speed calculation of your target, so more error in the speed. And also the AOB of target may not be accurate also becos your are looking at a moving target at long range. All this small errors you may think but it will be amplified when the target is at long range.

Try using the protractor to do some study by drawing a 1 degree off course for your torp and see how much it translate to the distance off target point at 4000 range.

cheetah70
04-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Here are the steps that I normally do to set up a fairly accurate torp attack.

Upon enemy contact received, ie those red square with tail,

step 1 : Use the ruler tool to draw the line indicating the course of the contact.

Step 2 : move to a point on the line ahead of the contact.

On visual sighting, and my sub is moving.

Step 1 : place marker 1 ahead of my sub. When my sub reach the marker 1, ask the watchman for vsual range and bearing, and starts the stopwatch at the same time.

Step 2 : use protractor to plot the bearing of the enemy ship and the ruler to set the range given. put marker 2 on the location of the enemy ship. mean while the stopwatch is still running.

Step 3 : when stopwatch reach 5 mins mark, ask the watchman for visual sighing info again. repeat step 2.

Now we have 2 markers of the enemy ship at a 5 mins interval. Next measure the distance bettween this 2 markers. Say the distance is 700m or 0.7 km. divide 0.7 by 300sec and mutiply be 3600sec shd give you the estimated speed of enemy ship in km/h. Next Multiply the km/h speed by 0.5399. That will give you the speed in knots.

Now we can also draw a line across the 2 marker to get the course of the enemy ship.

Next move your sub to a point base on all this data collected. This is for getting to a good position for the final kill. Say 1000m from your attack point. stop your sub and as I want to measure the mast ht of the enemy ship at 0 knot of my sub.

Set your AOB to 45 and wait for the enemy ship to reach that 45 bearing. Upon enemy ship reaching that 45 bearing check ship manual to confirm and immediately measure the mast ht to obtain range, and quickily go to speed estimaion process. Do a 10 sec running to get the speed in knots. You have to do all this as quick as u could bcos the speed estimation is time sensitive.

So when all the 3 data is available just update it into the torp. Then wait for the enemy ship to reach 0 bearing and fire your torp.

I was having lots of failure initially cos I don understand the data collection proceed untill I did some study on how it actually works
And I found out that collecting those data is time sensitive and you hv to do it one after another as quick as possible. That is very cruicial.

From this I also kind of understand the difficulties trying to hit the target at long range using this method of attack.

Hope this help.

Frederf220
04-12-2005, 11:36 PM
1 degree is roughly a 1:60 error. So if you fire 6km, you'll be off 100m if you're off 1 degree.