PDA

View Full Version : Pe2 Fans?

ytareh
04-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Somebody loves "Peshka" too,right?!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETLYAKOV-PE-2-WW2-AIRCRAFT-HISTO...Z10954QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETLYAKOV-PE-2-WW2-AIRCRAFT-HISTORY-BOOK_W0QQitemZ6600956299QQcategoryZ10954QQcmdZView Item)

(Mods:Im in no way linked with the company selling these books)

Tooz_69GIAP
04-15-2006, 10:00 PM
I have this book. If you have read IL-2 and IL-10 Sturmovik by Yefim Gordon, then you will know the basic format of the book already. Peshka is layed out in a similar way, with a similar amount of information on the various versions of the aircraft, and a history of their use.

It is certainly interesting.

MadBadVlad
04-16-2006, 03:29 AM
I have that one too. It is a very good read, in fact it is the only definitive read on the Peshka in English so well worth picking up if you have an interest in the aircraft.

PBNA-Boosher
04-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Within its first references I spotted something wrong.

If you look at one of the pages it mentions Natalya Meklin as a Pe-2 pilot. This is horribly wrong. She was a Po-2 pilot. She flew U-2VS's in the 588 NBAP/ 46 GvNBAP. If that's wrong how many other things will be wrong?

EDIT: After reading some more of the sample text I notice that the authors of this book got it all screwed up. They claim that the 46 GvNBAP flew Pe-2's,(they flew Po-2/U-2VS's, BIG difference) that the 586 IAP flew Yak-3's (they flew the Yak-1 series, Yak-7 series, and Yak-9 series. Never the Yak-3), that Marina Raskova was killed in battle (she was actually killed when her plane crashed on a routine transfer flight, as she had run out of fuel.) The book also mentions "outstanding female Pe-2 pilots. Half of those women never flew the Pe-2. They also got wrong the 586 IAP's commanding officer, who at first was Kazarinova, but she was relieved of command due to her horrible lack of command responsibility and that she drove her pilots to near mutiny. She was replaced by a man, Maj. Aleksandr Gridnev, who flew with the 586 IAP for the duration of the war.

I bet you we all could point out something dreadfully wrong. That was just the first page on E-bay. I wouldn't buy this book. It sounds like a load of poor reasearch to me.

StG2_Schlachter
04-16-2006, 11:01 AM
This is what i get:

Dear User:

Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing items that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less restrictive alternatives. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Thank You.

Hit the return button to return to the previous page.

Can somebody explain that?