PDA

View Full Version : Product and Version Questions

MontPython
02-20-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm looking for some clarity on the various products, updates, version sequence, and see there are many seasoned users in this forum so thought I would post a question, I'm sure there are others out there with the same questions.

I just purchased the "The Ultimate Flight Collection" which contains Pacific Fighters, IL-2 Sturmovik, and Lock-On. I loaded per the instructions and things seem to work just fine, accept there are limtited missions, etc. I went to the PF site for downloads, now I'm really confused.

1) How can find the current version of the products I have? Is it the same engine regardless? Is there some utility I can run to determine what products/versions are actually loaded for the UbiSoft or Maddox family?

2) By default, did the product I purchase have Forgotten Battles and Ace Extension Pack incorporated but it doesn't that?

3) If they are using the same engine, why was software loaded to different directories on the hard drive?

4) What are the updates I need to apply, starting from where, given the products I have?

Any information would be helpful at this point. Thanks in advance for you response.

MontPython
02-20-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm looking for some clarity on the various products, updates, version sequence, and see there are many seasoned users in this forum so thought I would post a question, I'm sure there are others out there with the same questions.

I just purchased the "The Ultimate Flight Collection" which contains Pacific Fighters, IL-2 Sturmovik, and Lock-On. I loaded per the instructions and things seem to work just fine, accept there are limtited missions, etc. I went to the PF site for downloads, now I'm really confused.

1) How can find the current version of the products I have? Is it the same engine regardless? Is there some utility I can run to determine what products/versions are actually loaded for the UbiSoft or Maddox family?

2) By default, did the product I purchase have Forgotten Battles and Ace Extension Pack incorporated but it doesn't that?

3) If they are using the same engine, why was software loaded to different directories on the hard drive?

4) What are the updates I need to apply, starting from where, given the products I have?

Any information would be helpful at this point. Thanks in advance for you response.

FoolTrottel
02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi, Welcome here!

Yep, it can get a bit confusing, as the Original started years ago, and just got development after development.

It all started with IL2 Sturmovik (The Original, which you've got), it's labeled version 1.x, and there are updates available for it (link will follow later)

Then, IL2 Forgotten Battles appeared. Labeled version 1.x also. Essentialy based on the same engine as the Original, but a further development of it. And not compatible with the Original. (Patches for FB are available.)

Then we got Ace Expansion pack (AEP), which is an Add-on to FB, and can only be installed on-top of FB, bringing it up to version 2.x. Patches for FB+AEP are also available.

In 2004, Pacific Fighters (PF) was published. Version 3.x.
Same engine as FB. It is special. As it can be installed on its own (stand-alone, which is what you have installe) and it can be 'merged' with FB+AEP.
Merging it will make it version 3.x[/b]m[/b]
Patches for PF are available, both for the stand alone and the merged version.
Now, a lot of patches are available for PF, even bringing it up to 4.04, both stand-alone and merged (4.04m)

This is where yet again something special happened, as along came the Pe-2 Add-on, the Manchuria Add-on and the 1946 Add-on. These 3 are not patches, but Add-on's you need to buy. Them three bring us up to 4.07m.
Note: These only apply to the merged version! Not to PF stand-alone!

Lately, 4.08m (free patch yet again) was published. It goes on top of 4.07m only.
Word is, there's one final patch on its way, but that's not been officially announced as far as I know...

(Tip: Get yerself the IL2 Sturmovik 1946 DVD, as it's just about all of it, FB+AEP+PF patched up to 4.07m...)
(Version check: Fire up the game, in the lower left part of the loading-screen the version number will be shown)

Now, as for yer questions:
1) Already answered above, I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
2) Already answered above, I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif (as in: No, no FB+AEP in the Ultimate Collection)
3) Already answered above, I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif (as in: Not the same engine)
4) Link: Patch order - entire game series. Make sure you have it right! (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4721047273?r=4721047273#4721047273)

Hope this makes sense!

Have Fun, and Good Luck!

MontPython
02-20-2007, 04:30 PM
This is very helpful!! It explains what they did, but it leaves one wondering why in the world they would approach it this way....

Seems the easiest thing for me to do is purchase IL2 Sturmovik 1946 DVD which has all the components I'm missing to get me "caught up" to 4.07m, minus a patch or two. But, what advantage is there in "merging" the products? How and where in the sequence does one go about doing this, is it an option with the 1946 install utility?

Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

FoolTrottel
02-21-2007, 12:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But, what advantage is there in "merging" the products? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Once you have the 1946 dvd, there's no need to, that one is/has the merged version already.

The advantage was there when PF was published, and lots of ppl were using FB+AEP already.
They could merge the new version on top of the old!
Great thing, more maps, more aircraft, all in one game!

For now, should you be able to get your hands on a cheap copy of FB+AEP (Gold pack) it might be a good route for you, but then you'd still have lots of patches to download, and have to buy the PE-2/Manchuria/1946 addon.

So indeed, go for the 1946 DVD! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MontPython
02-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Again, thanks for the information. I've decided to purchase the 1946 DVD and be done with it! Sounds like the quick and easy route, which I like.

Seeing some of horror stories posted about upgraging, merging, etc., kind of makes a it no brainer for the $25 it costs to get the software.

Tully__
02-23-2007, 07:11 PM
There are only two reasons I can think of for not installing the latest version (ie: 1946 plus 4.08m patch).

1. You know people who have an earlier version and you want to fly multiplayer with them. If the earlier versions in question are 4.04m/4.05m then there is a switch file available somewhere on the internet that will give version swaps at a mouse click. For older versions you'll need to source the disks from somewhere.

2. A VERY SMALL number of missions written for ealier versions wont run at all in the current version. This only applies for missions including a couple of aircraft types using off airfield takeoffs from versions in original IL2 Sturmovik game right at the start of the game series so it wont be many missions at all. Should there be any such missions you really desperately want to fly, they're easy to make functional with a quick edit in the full mission builder.

Zeus-cat
02-23-2007, 07:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is very helpful!! It explains what they did, but it leaves one wondering why in the world they would approach it this way.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are looking at 4 years of game development. When the Pacific Fighters mod/add-on came out, the community was asked did they want it as an add-on or as a seperate game. The vote was close enough to 50-50 that the game developer released PF as both an add-on and as a stand alone game. That is a gross-oversimplification of what happened, but it is close enough for the short version.

Now PF is used as a teaser to get people hooked and then they reel them in on the 1946 DVD.

MacIntosh1942
04-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Since I installed vista, I cannot run any of the following games even in windows xp compatible mode, service pak 2. Sturmovik load error: Script not loaded, could not open the file c:\windows ubisoft\insdate\ubiines.des
Lock On load error: Install shield R set uploader has stopped working. Problem event name: app crash, application name: set4D92.fmp, application version: 7.1.100/1248, application time stamp: 3deba7of, exception code: c0000005, exception offset: 0000cf00.
I sent this inquiry to Ubisoft. Ubisoft replied: "Some programs created before development of Windows Vista will not work with this operating system. Please run in windows xp, service pak 2 mode, which I tried. I CANNOT LOAD THESE PROGRAMS NOR REINSTALL OR UNINSTALL THEM!!!
WITH THIS KIND OF APATHETIC NON TECHNICAL SUPPORT FROM UBISOFT THEY WILL BE OUT OF THE BUSINESS PLAYOFFS IN SORT ORDER LIKE THE MONTREAL CANADIENS UNLESS THEY FIX THEIR GAMES COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH WINDOWS VISTA!!!

Skycat_2
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
My 1946 DVD installed fine into Vista Premium. However, I can't get third-party utilities like IL-2 MAT Manager, UberQuick Mission Generator or the swastika enabler to work.

Alas, I digress ...

The advantages of having the 'merged' version (or the 1946 DVD specifically in your case) is that you can fly any plane over any map. Similarly, any ground object from the series can be used ... LCTs and LCIs from Pacific Fighters can be lined up along the Normandy coast; Ki-27s from "Sturmoviks Over Manchuria" can tangle with F2-A2s from PF; American built A-20s and B-25s can be used by the Soviets as Lend-Lease aircraft. The toybox for mission designers becomes very large. If you have the 1946 DVD (patched to the latest version), you will be able to download any mission and use it without concern for compatibility.