PDA

View Full Version : spitfire flaps

rhinomonkey
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Hello, I'm completely new to this game and this is the first of many questions i have.

When taking off in a spitfire why is it that i cant sset the flaps to a take off position but the AI spitfires can?

thanks in advance

rhinomonkey
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Hello, I'm completely new to this game and this is the first of many questions i have.

When taking off in a spitfire why is it that i cant sset the flaps to a take off position but the AI spitfires can?

thanks in advance

Ratsack
06-15-2007, 07:18 AM
The AI is not subject to the same restrictions as players. They are not, for instance, subject to the law of gravity. This is manifest in the way they can pull more Gs than it takes to black you out, and still turn tighter.

If you examine tracks of combats with AI Spits, you will also notice the tricky blighters using combat flaps.

As others have said many a time on this forum, the AI cheats.

You too can cheat, by mapping the flap function to a slider or rotary. This will allow you to drop fractional flaps in any aircraft. While this would be historically correct for some planes (e.g., Bf 109), it would not be correct for the Spit, which had only two flap positions: up and down.

cheers,
Ratsack

rhinomonkey
06-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that!

Irish_Rogues
06-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Answered before I finished, moving to the sidelines. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

major_setback
06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
It's a bit worrying that in the SoW:BoB interview film taken by mystic_puma the Hurricanes are shown taking off with flaps down. I hope they were using a peovisional FB flight model in order to demonstrate the new scenery, and that this will be remedied.

Xiolablu3
06-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I wonder why Hurris and Spitires didnt have a variable flap setting?

Guess its to make thing 'easier'.

Also the docile handling of each plane may have made them uneceary.

However on Carriers andin otehr situations surely it would haev been quite useful.

ImpStarDuece
06-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Hurricanes did have variable flap positions.

Off the top of my head they had 5, 10, 20, 30 and 60 degree flap positions.

Heliopause
06-16-2007, 05:41 AM
En route to malta spitfire's had small wooden strips placed to "open up" the flaps a bit to get that little extra support for take-off.
After take off the flaps were opened whilst flying over the carrier to "bomb" them for fun with these wooden pieces!

Hawgdog
06-16-2007, 05:49 AM
While on teamspeak I keep hearing about everyone putting the flaps on a trim slider. So the hurris and spits now have an adjustable flaps instead of landing or raised.

horseback
06-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Spits were designed at a time when flaps were a relatively new innovation, which is probably why Mitchell didn't feel a need to go beyond a landing flap configuration.

As for combat flaps, the real thing hardly needed them. The wing was thin for high speed performance, plus it was wide and quite strong (among other things) for maneuverability.

Personally, I'm hoping for a more realistic flap modelling in the SoW series, with flaps deploying only in the same manner, as well as at the actual speed as the real aircraft did. The current modelling has not only allowed people with flaps on an axis to deploy flaps at unrealistic settings, but allows everyone to deploy them at unrealistic speed and effort, using keyboard or joystick button flap settings.

cheers

horseback

alert_1
06-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Spit with flaps on slide routmoneuvre A6M3 and later with ease..dont know how it was in RL though