PDA

View Full Version : Response time to air attacks?

Frumpkis
03-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm still on my first few patrols in 1939, but I'm getting constant harrassment by aircraft off the NE coast of Britain, especially in the Firth of Forth area. Two questions:

1) Every time I get the popup screen saying we're under air attack, I tell the boat to dive. But every time, the aircraft is close enough to get off at least one depth charge or bomb attack. The manual says that early in the war "... more often than not the plane would be detected quickly enough to allow an escape." Well, that's no happening. I'm escaping, but only because they're such lousy shots and flub the drop. Is this because I'm running time compression? Or is it a bug? Or just very aggressive air ops and a crappy watch crew? BTW, this still happens even when my watch crew efficiency is full green.

2) I'm also getting attacked at sunset, pretty far offshore. Was it common for fighter planes in 1939 to do night navigation and landings? I would think that chances of air attack should drop off when you're far enough offshore in the later afternoon, but I don't know that much about what they were capable of back then. Or maybe the sim just doesn't bother modeling return flight times.

Frumpkis
03-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm still on my first few patrols in 1939, but I'm getting constant harrassment by aircraft off the NE coast of Britain, especially in the Firth of Forth area. Two questions:

1) Every time I get the popup screen saying we're under air attack, I tell the boat to dive. But every time, the aircraft is close enough to get off at least one depth charge or bomb attack. The manual says that early in the war "... more often than not the plane would be detected quickly enough to allow an escape." Well, that's no happening. I'm escaping, but only because they're such lousy shots and flub the drop. Is this because I'm running time compression? Or is it a bug? Or just very aggressive air ops and a crappy watch crew? BTW, this still happens even when my watch crew efficiency is full green.

2) I'm also getting attacked at sunset, pretty far offshore. Was it common for fighter planes in 1939 to do night navigation and landings? I would think that chances of air attack should drop off when you're far enough offshore in the later afternoon, but I don't know that much about what they were capable of back then. Or maybe the sim just doesn't bother modeling return flight times.

Fazzx
03-29-2005, 04:21 PM
1. Best course of escape when facing airplanes, as sooon as you get a message, about incoming aircraft. Go FLANK speed and press C for crash dive. You'll dive to about 60 to 70 meters. Using this tactic they will less likely score a hit on your uboat.

2. I've noticed this also, planes are out at a time of day that they shouldnt really be out at. I do not think it was common for airplanes in 1939 to fly during the night. I believe night flying started about the same time as radar was introduced. This allowed the planes to have eyes in the dark.

Panaka_NL
03-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Make shure your watch has a high efficiency. The higher it is, the sooner they spot stuff.

Black-Phoenix
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Somewhere in the cfg files is an entry that sets time compression to 8x when detected by aircraft. In the time it takes you to click an action they're already droping a bomb. Find it and set it to 1 and you'll have a touch more time, but not much...