PDA

View Full Version : The IL2 expansion

knarf1981
02-16-2005, 08:01 PM
OK, currently i have IL2 and pacific fighters....can someone please tell me what the IL@ expansions have. basically do they have any new campaigns in the western european theater for the american, british and germans?

knarf1981
02-16-2005, 08:01 PM
OK, currently i have IL2 and pacific fighters....can someone please tell me what the IL@ expansions have. basically do they have any new campaigns in the western european theater for the american, british and germans?

JR_Greenhorn
02-16-2005, 08:36 PM
You say you have Il-2 and Pacific Fighters.
I assume by "Il-2" you mean Il-2:Sturmovik and not Forgotten Battles. The original Il-2:Sturmovik is not compatible with any other versions of the game. However, Forgotten Battles (FB) includes everything that was in Il-2 original, and adds to it with new content. Forgotten Battles is version 1.0, and can be patched up to v1.22 or so.

Forgotten Battles is focused on the Eastern Front, like Il-2 Original, but FB also includes some of Russia's battles with Finland, Romania, and Hungary.

Ace Expansion Pack (AEP) is just that--an expansion pack for Forgotten Battles. More specifically, AEP is Forgotten Battles v2.0. AEP includes everything in the patches for FB that preceed it, and AEP itself can be patched up to v2.04, I belive.

AEP added a mixed bag of content to FB, although much if had been released in preceeding patches. Most of the new planes and maps are relevant to the Western Front over Europe.

There are several jets in AEP, including the He 162, Go 229, and YP-80. Also, a few long-awaited allied planes are availible in AEP and its patches; these include the P-38, Spitfire, and others. Also, B-17s and a few new maps started showing up around AEP time.

If you are interested in Western Front missions, you might try Battle Over Europe by Just Flight. BOE is a 3rd party product including mostly missions, campaigns, and more. What makes BOE special, is that the Western European maps, objects, and other new content released in v1.22 were made for BOE by its creators, and included into regular versions of the game.

You already have Pacific Fighters, which is FB v3.0. Thing to do is the merged instal. That way, everything from FB v1.0 to your current version of PF is availible to you in one game.

Battle Over Europe is not required for the merged install with Pacific Fighters, but Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack are.

I hope all that helps. Its really not as complicated as I made it sound. Just get FB and AEP (Gold Pack), do the merged install, and you'll see what I mean.

Skycat_2
02-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Forgotten Battles: has all of the maps and planes as IL-2 Sturmovik, but also has more planes (including flyable Ju88, Hurricanes Mk. I and II, and P-47D series) and maps. FB also introduced the 'DGen' dynamic campaign program that is used in Pacific Fighters. The upgrade patches will add three versions of a large Normandy map, two versions of a slightly smaller Ardennes map (fall and winter seasons), and the Pacific Online map that is in PF. The upgrade patches also add the flyable P-51D-5NT, A6M2 (I think), and one other Japanese fighter that I can only remember as 'Frank.' The B-17G and C-47 are added as AI planes. Several new ground objects including US vehicles are added in the patches for the new maps.

Ace Expansion Pack: Includes all of the FB upgrade patch material, plus flyable P-38J, P-38L, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D-20NA with K-11 'lead computing' gunsight, YP-80 jet, Spitfire Mk.V (in several versions), and the essential Bf-110. The Luftwaffe also gets several jet and rocket powered interceptors, the curious Bf-109z, and a FW-190 with a 'Mistel' flying bomb attached. The expansion also includes some new language packs and more East Front dynamic campaigns. Some new ships, also. Unfortunately, no official Western Front campaigns. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AEP patches 2.01/2.04: Adds several flyable versions of the Spitfire Mk.IXc and Mk. IXe, two flyable versions of the Soviet I-185 fighter, and four AI B-25s. Also includes a small 'online' desert map with mountains, coastline, and nearby islands. Still no Western Front dynamic campaigns.

Battle Over Europe: semi-official add-on distributed through Justflight.com. BOE adds dynamic DGen campaigns for the Normandy, the Ardennes, and Berlin maps so you can play USAAF or RAF. Also comes with some custom aircraft skins.

Basically, almost all of the Western aircraft from FB and AEP were repackaged in the PF 'stand-alone' version. FB+AEP retains the Spitfires Mk.V and Mk.IX, Hurricane Mk.I, a few versions of the P-39, and the YP-80. However, I always liked the FB+AEP combo for its maps and diverse aircraft library; also, I think the Eastern Front simply 'works' better than Pacific Fighters. With all the custom missions available for the FB/AEP combo, you probably won't ever get bored because of no variety. Personally, I've been pleased by the triple FB+AEP+PF install.

flyplenty
02-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Nice overview! I still need to know one thing though: do you need to install the AEP patches (or just 2.04) before installing PF (merged), or is everything from 2.04 included in PF? Especially the planes? I see files for the Spitfire V and IX (for instance) in my stand-alone PF install, so I assume I'm okay without patches before PF, but I just want to make sure.

EURO_Snoopy
02-17-2005, 01:16 PM
To upgrade FB to FB+AEP+PF
Install FB, no need to paatch
Install AEP no need to patch
Install PF patch with 3.03m and 3.04m

It is not possible to install PF over FB, AEP must be installed too

flyplenty
02-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

knarf1981
02-17-2005, 06:28 PM
when i installed PF as a stand alone it wouldnt install untill i got a file from the tech people. if i install it as the combined install will i have this same problem. i am hesitant to delete PF and install it as a combined install until i know the answer. also, with the FB and AEP i dont need any patches...only the patches for PF.

Skycat_2
02-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Don't be afraid.

Standalone PF goes to a different directory than 'merged' FB+AEP+PF, so it always remains a separate installation. There is no need to uninstall your stand-alone PF.

I'm 99% sure that the file UbiSoft sent you will work in the merged install as well ... its the rts.dll, correct? From what I know, UbiSoft was sending out a copy of the stock rts.dll because it wasn't always transfering from the CD-ROMs (or something like that).

You are correct that you do not have to patch FB/AEP if you are going to install PF over that; if you plan to stop at FB/AEP then you'll need the two AEP upgrade patches. By the way, the folder created by installing FB is where AEP and 'merged' PF go to as well.

IIRC, standalone PF goes to "Ubi_Soft/ Pacific Fighters" while FB(+AEP+PF) goes to "UbiSoft/ IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles."

-HH- Beebop
02-18-2005, 06:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skycat_2:
_Forgotten Battles:_ has all of the maps and planes as IL-2 Sturmovik, but also has more planes (including flyable Ju88), ...two versions of a slightly smaller Ardennes map (fall and winter seasons)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Skycat; Where did you get a flyable Ju-88? My version only has Summer and Winter in the Ardennes. Did "the Patch" come out and no one told me?

Just curious is all.

adriaan_v
02-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Skycat_2, are you sure you don't need to install the AEP patches (or just 2.04) before installing PF (merged)? I think you have to otherwise one gets problems with the Spitfire Mk.IXc and Mk. IXe

indylavi
02-18-2005, 07:23 AM
adriaan, I just installed FB, then AEP, then PF and then downloaded patches 3.03m and 3.04m. Haven't had any trouble myself. However, I don't think you'll hurt the install any if you apply all the patches then install PF over them

EURO_Snoopy
02-18-2005, 07:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skycat_2:
_Forgotten Battles:_ has all of the maps and planes as IL-2 Sturmovik, but also has more planes (including flyable Ju88, Hurricanes Mk. I and II, and P-47D series) and maps. FB also introduced the 'DGen' dynamic campaign program that is used in Pacific Fighters. The upgrade patches will add three versions of a large Normandy map, two versions of a slightly smaller Ardennes map (fall and winter seasons), and the Pacific Online map that is in PF. The upgrade patches also add the flyable P-51D-5NT, A6M2 (I think), and one other Japanese fighter that I can only remember as 'Frank.' The B-17G and C-47 are added as AI planes. Several new ground objects including US vehicles are added in the patches for the new maps.

_Ace Expansion Pack:_ Includes all of the FB upgrade patch material, plus flyable P-38J, P-38L, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D-20NA with K-11 'lead computing' gunsight, YP-80 jet, Spitfire Mk.V (in several versions), and the essential Bf-110. The Luftwaffe also gets several jet and rocket powered interceptors, the curious Bf-109z, and a FW-190 with a 'Mistel' flying bomb attached. The expansion also includes some new language packs and more East Front dynamic campaigns. Some new ships, also. Unfortunately, no official Western Front campaigns. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

_AEP patches 2.01/2.04:_ Adds several flyable versions of the Spitfire Mk.IXc and Mk. IXe, two flyable versions of the Soviet I-185 fighter, and four AI B-25s. Also includes a small 'online' desert map with mountains, coastline, and nearby islands. Still no Western Front dynamic campaigns.

_Battle Over Europe:_ semi-official add-on distributed through Justflight.com. BOE adds dynamic DGen campaigns for the Normandy, the Ardennes, and Berlin maps so you can play USAAF or RAF. Also comes with some custom aircraft skins.

Basically, almost all of the Western aircraft from FB and AEP were repackaged in the PF 'stand-alone' version. FB+AEP retains the Spitfires Mk.V and Mk.IX, Hurricane Mk.I, a few versions of the P-39, and the YP-80. However, I always liked the FB+AEP combo for its maps and diverse aircraft library; also, I think the Eastern Front simply 'works' better than Pacific Fighters. With all the custom missions available for the FB/AEP combo, you probably won't ever get bored because of no variety. Personally, I've been pleased by the triple FB+AEP+PF install. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a brilliant overview of the IL2 series. I have just written a patching guide and added this to it, hope you don't mind.....
Installation and patching guide (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm)

LStarosta
02-18-2005, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EURO_Snoopy:
_Forgotten Battles:_ has all of the maps and planes as IL-2 Sturmovik, but also has more planes (including flyable Ju88, Hurricanes Mk. I and II, and P-47D series) and maps. FB also introduced the 'DGen' dynamic campaign program that is used in Pacific Fighters. The upgrade patches will add three versions of a large Normandy map, two versions of a slightly smaller Ardennes map (fall and winter seasons), and the Pacific Online map that is in PF. The upgrade patches also add the flyable P-51D-5NT, A6M2 (I think), and one other Japanese fighter that I can only remember as 'Frank.' The B-17G and C-47 are added as AI planes. Several new ground objects including US vehicles are added in the patches for the new maps.

_Ace Expansion Pack:_ Includes all of the FB upgrade patch material, plus flyable P-38J, P-38L, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D-20NA with K-11 'lead computing' gunsight, YP-80 jet, Spitfire Mk.V (in several versions), and the essential Bf-110. The Luftwaffe also gets several jet and rocket powered interceptors, the curious Bf-109z, and a FW-190 with a 'Mistel' flying bomb attached. The expansion also includes some new language packs and more East Front dynamic campaigns. Some new ships, also. Unfortunately, no official Western Front campaigns. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

_AEP patches 2.01/2.04:_ Adds several flyable versions of the Spitfire Mk.IXc and Mk. IXe, two flyable versions of the Soviet I-185 fighter, and four AI B-25s. Also includes a small 'online' desert map with mountains, coastline, and nearby islands. Still no Western Front dynamic campaigns.

_Battle Over Europe:_ semi-official add-on distributed through Justflight.com. BOE adds dynamic DGen campaigns for the Normandy, the Ardennes, and Berlin maps so you can play USAAF or RAF. Also comes with some custom aircraft skins.

Basically, almost all of the Western aircraft from FB and AEP were repackaged in the PF 'stand-alone' version. FB+AEP retains the Spitfires Mk.V and Mk.IX, Hurricane Mk.I, a few versions of the P-39, and the YP-80. However, I always liked the FB+AEP combo for its maps and diverse aircraft library; also, I think the Eastern Front simply 'works' better than Pacific Fighters. With all the custom missions available for the FB/AEP combo, you probably won't ever get bored because of no variety. Personally, I've been pleased by the triple FB+AEP+PF install. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a brilliant overview of the IL2 series. I have just written a patching guide and added this to it, hope you don't mind.....
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want your site to have any credibility, you should probably edit that part with the flyable Ju88...

Just a suggestion.

EURO_Snoopy
02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Well spotted sir, changed it to JU-87. just imagine what a noise there would be if the game distributors made such a mistake. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Skycat_2
02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah, He-111 not Ju-88, good catch.

I was thinking 'beyond the words' when I was typing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ju-87 works also.