PDA

View Full Version : Templars - Another word for Freemason?

gsosolid
08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Well I'm sure there has been more threads about this but there isn't one on the top 3 pages so I thought I'd make one myself.

Well I've read some people claiming that the ASSASSINS are Freemasons (seeing as they assassinated the big names in history, just like Freemasons)... But since Freemasons are generally viewed as bad guys (like templars) AND they also have a few similarities to the Templars, my theory is that Templars are Freemasons. Not assassins.

The similarities are:
They both are secret organisations
Both have very good connections around the world
Both kind of run the world
Both are against religion
Both are very good at cover-ups
Hide discoveries (Templars: THCB, POD. Freemasons: Too many to name (basically all the rumours you here, such as aliens etc)

And there a lot more.
So what are your views on this? Are they the same thing? Similiar? Are the assassins in fact Freemasons? Are they completely different things? Or do Freemason's not exist altogether?...

itsamea-mario
08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
well, their clearly not very good at cover ups if you know there good at cover ups.

plus freemasons are not against religion, in fact to join free masons, generally you need to have some kind of spiritual beleif.

but people do think that (i mean real world here) that the masons do have a connection with the knights templar, however this is unlikely.

however game wise, i'd like to think that they do have a connection. but not so direct as the Freemasons actually bieng the templars, but rather they'd be a sort of daughter organisation. the templars are far more secretive, no one even knows they exist, however to some extent the masons are public, as in everyone knows them. say for instance, the grandmaster of the masons, would be a memeber of the templar order, and would take his orders from the templar grandmaster kind of thing.

gsosolid
08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Well if you remember Abstergo is kind of well known too? So it is kind of similar to how everyone knows about Freemasons as well.

Also if you remember that email you can read in AC1, someone finds out about Abstergo and all so it isn't COMPLETELY hidden...

But I like the daughter organisation idea too.

It just seems too fishy with all the similarities and all...

And the good cover-ups bit, someone always finds out. But if it's been years and years, and still all there is on it is youtube videos... Yes. It is has been a good cover-up.

primerib69
08-31-2010, 05:52 PM
just going to throw this out there...the hashashins (assassin order) were all killed by the end of the crusades. and if you didnt see the message before you played the game, the whole assassins vs. templars war thing is complete fuction. sure, the templars sacked masyaf (alamut), but everything else that they "did" is false. So it would technically be impossible that the assassins are any way connected to the freemasons if the hashashins disolved more than 1000 years before it.

Abeonis
08-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Erm, if people are claiming that the Assassins are related to the Freemasons, they're idiots. The games have never said, not once, that the Assassins and Freemasons are related; quite the opposite in fact, the glyphs imply that the Freemasons and Templars are related, maybe even suggesting that the Freemasons are a Templar organisation much like Abstergo.

Pelotero_10
08-31-2010, 06:46 PM
In the politics, and the media, Free Masonry is associated with the most influential figures in our society; Like the Templars (The primary example would be the Pope!).
The Assassins job is to maintain balance in the world, and take out the figures in society who try to brain-wash us.
If Free Masons are Templars, then check out this list of some of the most well-known figures in history, http://www.scribd.com/doc/3289...s-Freemasons-Exposed (http://www.scribd.com/doc/3289775/Famous-Freemasons-Exposed). I think we even assassinated a few of these people in the game!

souNdwAve89
08-31-2010, 06:52 PM
There are some similarities (not saying who is who), but I think Ubisoft just took the idea and just twist it around to their favor of course. Heck, even the assassin symbol is similar to the Freemason's.

Assassin
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/omrdelggt/AsSymb22.jpg

Freemason
http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/freemasons.jpg

Pelotero_10
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by souNdwAve89:
There are some similarities (not saying who is who), but I think Ubisoft just took the idea and just twist it around to their favor of course. Heck, even the assassin symbol is similar to the Freemason's.
Word...Very, very similar, but that's probably just a "coincidence"/ or Not! This topic kind'a reminds me of the movie the Da Vince Code (or is it the 1st National Treasure?) where at the beginning of the movie he's talking about symbols, and their meaning and how they are all related in a way.
Anyways, I doubt there are any direct relations between the Assassins and Templars, and the Free Masons; indirect maybe 'cause everything is a result of an influence.

Goxxi
09-01-2010, 05:54 AM
The secret societies or secret organisations rules and control this world since the old Babylon.
For example all royal families are blood related, the all american presidents are blood related and also they are blood related with a european royal families..........
Then also we have a Bilderberg group, Committee 300 and almost all presidents all around the world are members of these organisations.

So just the name doesn't mean anything, they might be call the " Illuminats, free masons, templars, opus dei..............but they are all just the branch (or sectors)of one big and powerful organisation and throught the history maybe they were changing the names but that's the same organisation and their purpose has remained the same

SteelCity999
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
The assassins paid the Templars tribute each and every year so that they did not have to deal with them. The assassins felt that the Templars, unlike most kingdoms, were a waste of time because the Grandmaster would just be replaced over and over due to the heirarchy so they instead made their focus on other corrupt leaders of kingdoms that they could create a better effect on change.

Also, Alamut was never captured or seiged or anything else by the Templars. It was captured by the Mongols I believe.

JohnConnor2012
09-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Hm, conspiracy theorists say there's a lineage between the Templars and Masons, I think through the Rosicrucian order or some such nonsense. I wouldn't take any of this stuff too seriously.

Historically, while the Church highly privileged the Templars (until Philip the Fair framed them as heretics to loot their estates), it anathemetised freemasonry as suspiciously republican (- and masons are a bit vague about whether the Great Architect of the Universe is the Christian God or not).

Gamewise, both have an image as power-seeking manipulators so I'd suggest the masons are more likely akin to the Templars than the Assassins.

Caligula__
09-02-2010, 03:27 AM
I once drew a really good (or really, really bad) AC symbol in Art once and it kind of looked like the hoodie on the robes and the bottom bit was like the collar thingy

Edit - It was probably a really bad version now I think about it...

Biomedical-Fire
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm a Mason and I can tell you that I go to church regularly, I'm not a Templar and I'm not an assassin. I do know that after the Templars fled Europe and went to Scotland, they blended into the Masons as a way to hide from the Catholic Church.

JohnConnor2012
09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, that's what masonic lore says (all that stuff about the Roslyn chapel in 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail', etc) but there is the small chronological problem of three centuries between the suppression of the Templars and Elias Ashmole starting ceremonial (as opposed to craft) masonry in Oxford during the 17th century.

IrishMason33
09-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Pelotero_10:
In the politics, and the media, Free Masonry is associated with the most influential figures in our society; Like the Templars (The primary example would be the Pope!).
The Assassins job is to maintain balance in the world, and take out the figures in society who try to brain-wash us.
If Free Masons are Templars, then check out this list of some of the most well-known figures in history, http://www.scribd.com/doc/3289...s-Freemasons-Exposed (http://www.scribd.com/doc/3289775/Famous-Freemasons-Exposed). I think we even assassinated a few of these people in the game!

The Knights Templars were betrayed by the pope. in the 1400s. They were arrested by the French King and the Pope agreed to it. They were burned on Friday the 13th. They fled to Scoltland becaue it was not controlled by the church during that time. There no is historical proof that the templar are in Free Masons today. Although alot of Mason say they are connect. I can tell you I'm British Knight Templar descent and my family has been in the Free Masons for 5 generations. I'm one also. Although Templar descent I couldn't connect that the Templars are Masons(its coincidence that im Templar and a Mason)Templars are againest the Pope.
Also souNdwAve89 symbols are always been used over and over. Like the Pentacle today is thought to be a sign of devil worship but back then it was just a pagen symbol. Here is another example the cross we all know is a symbol for Christians but it was first used in the Egyptians as a symbol of Looped Tau Cross( symbol of life and fertility) There will be similarities with symbols because everyone borrowed the symbols from other reglions. Sometimes we edit them to our liking. We call it Symbolism. People throw and use symbols for there cause and say it means something but editing it.

Watch this video. Although its from a movie. Its accurate and talks about symbols (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDU8pObzNoA)Read Dan Brown books. They talk about history and symbols from the past with a cool fiction story put in the middle!

Pelotero_10
09-04-2010, 11:40 AM
When I was talking about the Pope, I was referring to the game, when they murdered the original Pope to place Borgia in his position to give the Templar Order more power...(at least, that's what I understood)?

ninjasownu
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I doubt any of you will see this at this time but on the discovery channel they are actually talking about free masons