PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

decheeko
11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey, whats up... I'm new on here, but I've been playing SH3 for about a month now. Awesome game, missing a few things that Aces of the Deep had though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I just upgraded to the grey wolves mod and obviously a few things have changed.
My first question is concerning the torpedoes, are they weaker on purpose or are is the damage the merchant ships can take cranked way up? I put 4 type 3 G7E's into a medium cargo and although it was listing badly to one side, i still had to put 20 shells into it before it would go down. On the same patrol I also struck a coastal boat with 3 torps, emptied my deck gun on it, 2000 rounds of 37mm flak and RAMMED it twice at 22knots and it still wouldn't go down!! All my torpedoes blew up under the keels of these boats, they weren't contact detonated into the hulls. What's the deal?

My next question is concerning the "compass" inlay on the maps when zoomed in on my boat. The centre of this dial is set about 250m to the northeast of my boat all the time, not centred at all. How do i fix this?

Lastly, my machine meets or exceeds all of the system requirements for this game except for one. My videocard doesn't have or support PS 1.0 or something, so my sea and land textures are horrid at best. I was wondering if there was a way around that to get some surface textures at all. As it stands right now, I can't see the ocean surface at all, smoke rising from stacks or fires looks like dense white fog, and the wake from boats is 2-d and defies explanation.... I can post screen shots which might better explain this problem.

Thanks for your time,
Ben

decheeko
11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey, whats up... I'm new on here, but I've been playing SH3 for about a month now. Awesome game, missing a few things that Aces of the Deep had though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I just upgraded to the grey wolves mod and obviously a few things have changed.
My first question is concerning the torpedoes, are they weaker on purpose or are is the damage the merchant ships can take cranked way up? I put 4 type 3 G7E's into a medium cargo and although it was listing badly to one side, i still had to put 20 shells into it before it would go down. On the same patrol I also struck a coastal boat with 3 torps, emptied my deck gun on it, 2000 rounds of 37mm flak and RAMMED it twice at 22knots and it still wouldn't go down!! All my torpedoes blew up under the keels of these boats, they weren't contact detonated into the hulls. What's the deal?

My next question is concerning the "compass" inlay on the maps when zoomed in on my boat. The centre of this dial is set about 250m to the northeast of my boat all the time, not centred at all. How do i fix this?

Lastly, my machine meets or exceeds all of the system requirements for this game except for one. My videocard doesn't have or support PS 1.0 or something, so my sea and land textures are horrid at best. I was wondering if there was a way around that to get some surface textures at all. As it stands right now, I can't see the ocean surface at all, smoke rising from stacks or fires looks like dense white fog, and the wake from boats is 2-d and defies explanation.... I can post screen shots which might better explain this problem.

Thanks for your time,
Ben

AVGWarhawk
11-22-2006, 01:55 PM
GW has modeled ships to sink realistically. You have to hit it just right for the one torpedo sinking or at least two to three different spots on the hull to flood the water tight chambers. As far as the small merchant, this is a know issue that has been cleared up with GWX that is coming out in two to three weeks.

Compass, I have not seen this but I do not doubt you have seen it.

Your machine. What are the specific specs on it?
You really need a 1 gig RAM and a decent videocard to play with some sort of decent rendering. Let us know what you have.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard swab!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

The last thing I heard as the British boarded my boat, "Boot hoch halten sonst wird keiner gerettet!"....Keep the boat afloat or no one will be rescued! My war was over....

decheeko
11-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm running an AMD processor at 2.1Ghz, 512mb of ram, and a nvidia Geforce MX4000 w/ 128mb. I've changes my windows swap file settings to the same be on the same drive as SH3, and upped the number to about 2Gb. This has helped the general performance of the game marginally, but the graphics are still the same.
This videocard i have has performed somewhat admirably on every other application i've run in the past, and i've also got the newest drivers.
I'd rather not have to use tech support from either nvidia or <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b].com since i'd like a response within this lifetime...

As for this issue with the small/coastal merchants, would it just be wise to stay away from them for the time being until the new mod comes out?

Kingcobra24
11-22-2006, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by decheeko:
I'm running an AMD processor at 2.1Ghz, 512mb of ram, and a nvidia Geforce MX4000 w/ 128mb. I've changes my windows swap file settings to the same be on the same drive as SH3, and upped the number to about 2Gb. This has helped the general performance of the game marginally, but the graphics are still the same.
This videocard i have has performed somewhat admirably on every other application i've run in the past, and i've also got the newest drivers.
I'd rather not have to use tech support from either nvidia or <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b].com since i'd like a response within this lifetime...

In the manual that comes with the boxed DVD version of the simulation, it states:
a minimum 64 MB DirectX 9-compliant graphics card required - 128 MB DirectX 9-compliant recommended.
It supports ATI Radeon 8500/9000 family of cards or newer and NVIDIA GeForce 3/4/FX series cards (EXCEPT MX series cards.)

Since your specs include an NVIDIA MX4000 card, this may be the root of your graphics problem.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Kingcobra24/type_ixc.jpg