PDA

View Full Version : Speed

Blood_Splat
08-08-2006, 12:01 AM
What speed should you patrol at once you reached your assigned grid?

Ali_109
08-08-2006, 12:17 AM
It depends where abouts the grid is, if your close to a port, say Scapa, Dover, then take it a bit easy with the time compression or your gonna miss out on the action, keep an eye and get ready to pause. I don't generally find a lot goes on actually in the grid, i get the patrol over with and then head out and around the nearest port, thats where i get most of my hits on patrol especially 1939-1940. Once your into 42/43, lets say you'll be screaming for more ammo!!

Wokcus
08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Ali_109 - you mention going easy on the time compression to avoid missing out on action.

Assuming that you're paying attention, is it really possible to miss something because of time compression? The compression drops to x8 or x1 depending on the event I had assumed that I was seeing everything. Are there really things that you literally will not see because they don't drop the time compression?

Hoatee
08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Maybe Blood Spat is referring to the speed of the sub. My assumption is anything except full/flank ahead (which should only be used to close distace to a sighting) in order to conserve on fuel consumption.

Realjambo
08-08-2006, 02:48 PM
If you are referring to Time Compression then Yes, you can be caught out, for example a well placed DD at full sped coming right at you could possibly be missed by an inexperienced or new watch crew in less than perfect weather leaving you not a great deal of time to react.