PDA

View Full Version : WOW! The most disappointing patrol so far

Foehammer-1
08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I was going to do a patrol along the coast of North America today and then post a patrol report. However, I had one of the biggest disappointments so far. While cruising up and

down between Halifax and Norfolk, I got a convoy report, quite a ways off, heading towards Britain at 9 kts. My fuel was becoming low, so i could not muster any more speed than

15 kts. I plotted an intercept course, found the convoy and suddenly got bounced by a destroyer. sank it with a Falke, but I guess the convoy changed course as the result. The

seas were rough, with medium fog and 13m/s winds. I was not able to find that convoy again. I began cruising back towards America at 10 kts to conserve fuel. I got another report,

and found out that that convoy did in fact change course quite abruptly. I tried to intercept it again, burned through a lot of fuel and found zip. Then, I got ANOTHER convoy

sighting, not too far away, doing 12 kts. I went ahead flank and intercepted it. I got bounced by a DD again, had to shoot out my last homer, the Zaukoenig. The Fletcher blew up, but

the convoy changed course to 90 degrees from original. There was no way I could catch up with it and have enough fuel to return to base. had to abandon that convoy as well. Return home

was a disappointment- the score was 3 B24's, 2 Catalinas, a Hurricane, and 2 Fletcher destroyers. I'll post screens tomorrow, they are on my other computer. I was really looking

forward to an exciting patrol to follow by a good report, but I guess it ain't happening today. I'll do another patrol, and see if I get more lucky.

Foehammer-1
08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I was going to do a patrol along the coast of North America today and then post a patrol report. However, I had one of the biggest disappointments so far. While cruising up and

down between Halifax and Norfolk, I got a convoy report, quite a ways off, heading towards Britain at 9 kts. My fuel was becoming low, so i could not muster any more speed than

15 kts. I plotted an intercept course, found the convoy and suddenly got bounced by a destroyer. sank it with a Falke, but I guess the convoy changed course as the result. The

seas were rough, with medium fog and 13m/s winds. I was not able to find that convoy again. I began cruising back towards America at 10 kts to conserve fuel. I got another report,

and found out that that convoy did in fact change course quite abruptly. I tried to intercept it again, burned through a lot of fuel and found zip. Then, I got ANOTHER convoy

sighting, not too far away, doing 12 kts. I went ahead flank and intercepted it. I got bounced by a DD again, had to shoot out my last homer, the Zaukoenig. The Fletcher blew up, but

the convoy changed course to 90 degrees from original. There was no way I could catch up with it and have enough fuel to return to base. had to abandon that convoy as well. Return home

was a disappointment- the score was 3 B24's, 2 Catalinas, a Hurricane, and 2 Fletcher destroyers. I'll post screens tomorrow, they are on my other computer. I was really looking

forward to an exciting patrol to follow by a good report, but I guess it ain't happening today. I'll do another patrol, and see if I get more lucky.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Had this happen a couple of times myself. I'd start a new Captian, crew and U-boat... but the first three patrols have uneventful sinkings but eventful near sinkings of my U-boat from DD's or aircraft. The way I handled it and look at the whole situation is that I thought that my U-Boat's hull number may be cursed! Time to either transfer to a new one or use the good old SH3 Commander and change it.

Either way you look at it, that boat is unlucky if your next patrol yields the same results as this one did!

hueywolf123
08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Happens to the best of us, are you using GW? If so, get used to it. But every so-often you can strike it lucky http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Foehammer-1
08-18-2006, 05:23 AM
If you asked me that, no, i am not using GW. I'm used to being able to decimate convoys, so this one was a huge disappointment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. was really looking forward to a good patrol report. I'll probably do one today, about the next patrol into the same area.

Foehammer-1
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Ok, most screens turned out to be ****, so here are the only decent ones:

Here the Zaukoenig torpedo missed the destroyer and is coming around. This, by the way, is my second engagement.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/Foehammer88/sh32006-08-1717-46-23-96.jpg

And here is the result of that explosion. By the way, that ship you see on the horizon was initially heading to the "right", and then changed course to head totally away, along with the convoy. I did, however, get a glimpse of the convoy from behind the fog, but didn't take a screen. It had at least 2 T3 tankers, and a whole lot of large cargoes, C3 or C2's
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/Foehammer88/sh32006-08-1718-35-36-07.jpg