PDA

View Full Version : Oh Ubisoft, what have you done to my Assassin's Creed?

Ghost_Theta
12-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I have just completed DNA sequence 2 on Assassin's Creed 2 and I find it difficult to continue playing, even after how excited I was for this game. I asked on another forum why I haven't been pulled out of the animus any yet, and someone told me people were upset about continually getting "yanked out". I responded with all of this, which doesn't have much direction but just points out how Assassin's Creed has completely lost it's identity as a unique, great game and has become just another RPG without the decisious.

Who would complain about that? It was fun to come out and learn new info about the story with Desmond, walk around, steal codes, etc. It is part of what made Assassin's Creed what it is. It also gave it structure along with identifiable dna sequences, set assassinations, districts, etc. Being stuck in the animus the whole time is already bugging me, along with the fact that this game is not at all Assassin's Creed anymore. It has lost its identity entirely. It's now just another RPG basically.

Customizing armor and outfit, double sigh

Buying, repairing weapons, single sigh

Bunch of meaningless sidequests (beatup, courier, etc.). You know, I actually wanted to know more about Pastuccio or whatever his name was, like why he wanted those feathers (I don't think he had a hammer in mind) Info. gathering completely missing? i mean wtf! (unless I haven't gotten far enough, but I don't see anything fun in the future. hell when do i get to assassinate some templars or somethinbg?

Lack of the glitch scene things

Kind of unrelated, but Ezio is a ******, and continuing to take the cloak off is annoying (Altiar is a much better, cooler character)

The assassins, or hashashins, actually existed and had a role in the crusades, and the game made them an organization gameplot-wise, who had goals etc. We are just kind of following Ezio as he becomes a better fighter so Desmond can to, if I worded that correctly. Boring.

People complained about repetitiveness in Assassins Creed 1, but I still enjoyed it way better than this game so far. This whole go anywhere do whatever thing is just stupid. I prefered the more linear style of AC1 (it was so good and had enough to do that repetition wasn't a problem). You could still go everywhere eventually, but I don't know. This game is really failing hard.

On it's own, great game, but compared to Assassin's Creed 1 and what that game made itself, complete failure.

I know my rambling has no direction, but I'm just baffled at how bad they botched this series ever since AC1. Shooting projectile blades, outfit colors, repairing, blending with crowd, thiefs, prositutes, swimming, having combat with a hidden blade, this list goes on.

People cried/joked that Altair became invisible once he started praying ITS ABOUT GAMEPLAY NOT REALISM and this also helped that game to be great. Slowness was enough of a punishment for using it. Now you can't go anywhere near one of the millions of guards without being spotted unless there is a group of people nearby, which is lame.

Finally, health packs/doctors as opposed to the sync from AC1 is a big step back.

EDIT: I have already been called a fanboy. I don't follow this term, but are you considered a fanboy if you enjoy a new and unique game that does more than what typical games of the time did (AC1), and then get disappointed when the highly anticipated sequel has been transformed into anoter RPG?

Ghost_Theta
12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Well, when I clicked on forum it took me directly here. Requesting topic be moved to something more relevant, like the Assassin's Creed II General Discussion board.

adledog
12-26-2009, 09:28 PM
how can you say you like assassins creed but its unplayable without getting pulled out to be Desmond all the time? thats like saying you like watching tv but you would hate it without commercials.

Greig91
12-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by adledog:
how can you say you like assassins creed but its unplayable without getting pulled out to be Desmond all the time? thats like saying you like watching tv but you would hate it without commercials. Not really. Playing as desmond is nothing like a "commercial". It's seriously important to the story. Did you not notice that Desmond's story in AC II didn't advance nearly as much as in AC? It was all about Ezio this time.

I still thoroughly enjoyed the game though. It was great. But it was obvious to me that they'd dumbed down the main story this time, right up until the end that is. I'm guessing they got a lot of complaints about the complex nature of original game, which really wasn't all that complex lol.

Wournos
12-28-2009, 02:33 AM
My biggest suprise with AC2 is that I acctually finished the game without major issues at only 35H. I had massive issues with AC1 - especially with being tossed around by guards and templars (never got past section 6 final assassin; nearly killed the controller in the process). I gave the game my finger and won't try again. I personally prefer AC2 as it is much easier to fight. The minimap is a massive improvement and I like the different things to do (restoring "my" city, collecting things, changing clothing colour and selecting weapons).
I also had no problem with being "stuck" inside the animus. I got severely annoyed when I had to leave it in AC1.

But my issue with AC2 is that I got no answers whatsoever. I wasn't able to finish the 'Truth' before I accidentally finished the game. Even after, by finishing with help, it didn't give me any answers.

Shaun's comment summed up my feelings perfectly when I realized it was all over. "WTF?!"

Seems I like everything you hate with the game. Blending in groups, courtisans, thieves, fighter... very amusing!

alexgrimaudo_94
12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Wournos:
My biggest suprise with AC2 is that I acctually finished the game without major issues at only 35H. I had massive issues with AC1 - especially with being tossed around by guards and templars (never got past section 6 final assassin; nearly killed the controller in the process). I gave the game my finger and won't try again. I personally prefer AC2 as it is much easier to fight. The minimap is a massive improvement and I like the different things to do (restoring "my" city, collecting things, changing clothing colour and selecting weapons).
I also had no problem with being "stuck" inside the animus. I got severely annoyed when I had to leave it in AC1.

But my issue with AC2 is that I got no answers whatsoever. I wasn't able to finish the 'Truth' before I accidentally finished the game. Even after, by finishing with help, it didn't give me any answers.

Shaun's comment summed up my feelings perfectly when I realized it was all over. "WTF?!"

Seems I like everything you hate with the game. Blending in groups, courtisans, thieves, fighter... very amusing!

You say that you didn't like the fact that you didn't get very many answers. I suggest you buy the Assassin's Creed guide booklet, because it has in the back a summary of the storyline of both the first and second game, including who subject 16 was and other important questions.

MISFITxCREEPx
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok. Desmond's story is obviously not being forgotten. He had to train to become an assassin, meaning that in AC3, he will have to fight. That means that more of the setting will be 2012 rather than inside the animus. They just had to explain how he knows how to fight in the next one or something.

No one said that you HAVE to customize your armor except for maybe one time? I really don't see how taking off his hood in a couple of cut scenes makes him a ******. You can't really say that AC1 had any more of a linear style then AC2, they are pretty much the same.

They aren't projectile blades. They are called bullets. How is combat with a hidden blade a bad thing at all? WTF are you talking about "Now you can't go anywhere near one of the millions of guards without being spotted unless there is a group of people nearby, which is lame." If you have played the game at all you will know that's not true.

DimmuB0rgir
12-29-2009, 08:36 PM
So you are complaining about EVERYTHING they improved from the last game?

Ghost_Theta
12-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Spoilers - End of DNA Sequence 4 I believe

I haven'tread any of the comments thus far, but I must say after playing the game more and more it has gotten greater and greater. It still takes on a new identity, like removing stealth and different ways to assassinate targets (not different ways to fight vieri or ways to chase francesco).

Ghost_Theta
12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by adledog:
how can you say you like assassins creed but its unplayable without getting pulled out to be Desmond all the time? thats like saying you like watching tv but you would hate it without commercials.

See this what I don't get in people. Closed minded tools who just want to run around and slash stuff COOL BLOOD.

It was interesting to come out and here about the main story, do a few SMALL/SHORT things like hack into Warren's computer

Drakonous505
12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
*Sigh* I find your complaint of the story and game play rather sad considering how you havn't gotten far and seen what is infact happening...

*Note*I will try to mark what I consider major spoilers but read at your own risk anyway... */Note*

The whole point of ACII is to allow Desmond to gain Assassin skills in as shortest time possible. The quickest way in which this can be done is the bleeding effect and keeping him in the Animus as long as they can without risk of hurting Desmond... (And the whole reason Desmond got pulled out of the Animus in the first game half the time was due to Lucy delaying the Templar's from getting the information they wanted, otherwise they would have kept Desmond strapped in for days like Subject 16.)

*SPOILER* As shown in the last game Desmond gained the Eagle Vision due to the Bleeding Effect. Desmond will inturn gain Ezio's knowledge of freerunning, fighting, etc. Along with some other... effects. Due to him having a longer exposure to the Anumus. It's not that this game's story doesn't focus on Desmond one bit, quite the opposite actually, it focuses on the past so we can understand where Desmond's story will go next... It EXPLAINS the reason behind the story of the series and what Desmond must do. */SPOILER*

If you have read this you will easily understand why this game is important and why your foolishness over the gameplay and direction of the game will stop you from understanding its purpose... As for the gameplay people shouldn't complain... It's been improved due to the lack of variety in the first game which luckily had this ingenious storyline and awesome freerunning memchanic. I hope you found this explination helpful.

-Drakonous

FoxMcKalen
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll just address one aspect of your post. Desmond's role isn't reduced. If anything, he's become twice as important as before, because in AC2, he actually gets to DO something. Something besides type in passcodes and read emails, that is. That happens about halfway through the game, but I won't say any more to avoid spoilers. That's not the only time Desmond gets to stretch his legs, either.

Let me put it this way. I think some of the best parts of AC1 were the times when you came out of the Animus and got to learn about what's really going on, as opposed to that fairly predictable plot Altair had to deal with. But, even though Desmond has a lot less screen time this time around, the time he does get is so much more interesting in the simplest ways. If we end up playing as him the entire time in AC3, I won't be too sad about it.

Oh, one more thing... That "big twist" in AC1? The one during your final visit to Masyaf? Yeah, I really doubt anyone was actually surprised at that. But the big twist in AC2... Desmond sums it up pretty well: "What the ****?" In the best possible way. Loved it! That was definitely my favorite part of the entire game, though I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like it. This is one surprise I'm glad I didn't spoil for myself.

Drakonous505
12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FoxMcKalen:
Oh, one more thing... That "big twist" in AC1? The one during your final visit to Masyaf? Yeah, I really doubt anyone was actually surprised at that. But the big twist in AC2... Desmond sums it up pretty well: "What the ****?" In the best possible way. Loved it! That was definitely my favorite part of the entire game, though I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like it. This is one surprise I'm glad I didn't spoil for myself.

I know! The whole genius of the twist in the second games ending left me confused and mind blown! But when I went back and looked at the evidence left behind... Everything fit and even made the whole thing make sense, ya know?

Bampire
12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
The games just get better and better and better. Let's just hope the upcoming game(s) will be or much more intense then AC2.

Playing as Desmond is just fun, because he seems to move much quicker then Ezio, though that's probably from the attire he wears. The simple clothing compared to the multi-layer assassin robes both Ezio and Altair wears.

I had my own doubts about AC2, then going more into the game, then completing it I was hooked. Just made me appreciate the series even more, especially with all the historical references and their own twists into such games.

The wonderful part about having Ezio being trained by multiple people (Spoilers) Mercenaries, courtisans and thieves; the underworld so to speak(/spoilers). It gives the players to become more stealthy if they so want to be, or they can choose to go in with all brute force.

As many other people has posted in this thread, the reason of Desmond being in the Animus for so long would equal to having a real reason behind it. Yeah. We get to do more with Desmond when we do play as him. They are setting the fans up for something intense in the upcoming game(s). Not only learning of the Pieces of Eden and why it's happening and all that fun stuff but it also sets the fans up for future Desmond gameplay. More then what we're currently playing.

Just makes the games much more enjoyable to understand and have an idea what is in-store for the fans.

I personally think that judging AC2 by playing only 2 memory blocks is rather harsh. Games always start out slow, but if you're patient and keep an open mind you'll learn to enjoy such beauty-that is Assassin's Creed 2. Appreciate that it is not repetitive, that it is much smoother, character development is more intense, every little detail is beautifully done. Yes, there's glitches, like the Animus 2.0, but nothing is perfect. Though, one would get the illusion of that in this game. I may be praising it too much, but that's my thoughts.

Assassin_M
12-30-2009, 03:03 AM
If you hate everything Improved from AC why dont u just play AC and leave AC II ?

OzDavis
12-30-2009, 04:04 AM
You know, I read your original post and thought,
"Well, I don't agree but I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion.".

Then I read this:

Originally posted by Ghost_Theta:
...Closed minded tools who just want to run around and slash stuff... So... if I'm reading this right, then anyone who has a different opinion from you is closed minded and should be insulted?

Well... I loved running around outside the Animus in AC1, I made sure I did everything, read every email, etc., even on subsequent playthroughs.... especially on the last playthrough I did during mid-Novemeber this year in anticipation of the sequel, which I also think is great... so much so I am now working on my eighth playthrough, in a similarly obsessive fashion.

Yes there are less episodes outside the Animus, but quantity does not mean quality, and the times you do get out of the Animus are way more interesting - at least in turns of game play than in AC1.

I also find it somewhat baffling that you are complaining that everyone who disagrees with you must only be interested in hack and slash, when one of the primary areas I disagree with you about is in relation to thieves and courtesans, which I mainly use in circumstances where I want to avoid a fight.

So, I just can't help wondering who the "closed minded tool" is now....

rknall
12-30-2009, 04:13 AM
I acknowledge, that other poeple have different opinions. But in all honesty, if you have not even travelled very deep into the game (you wrote you are still in DNA Sequence2), than how can you be able to make a well-funded remark about how this game compares to the first one?

What I do agree upon is some of the story elements though. Pertuccio's feathers seem rather pointless (besides getting those extra weapon and cape), and the mother kneeling 30 years beside a bed as well. But please tell me, what was the point of the 500 flags of AC1? According to the chief level designer it was just, because the XBOX360 demanded achievements, and they where to leazy to think of any.

Story-wise as well as fighting-wise as well as gameplay, I prefer AC2. And in my opinion, we could forget about Desmond altogether, especially with those really ugly computer renderings.

Rorylavelle
12-30-2009, 11:23 AM
OP, everything you're complaining about I see as a major improvements to the game. As does everyone else, apparently. You can't please 'em all!

Also, I just have to say "wtf??" to the part where you say that you find the repetition of AC1 acceptable.

Well if repetition isn't a problem for you, why don't you play AC1 over and over again?

Inb4theban
12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Ghost_Theta:
On it's own, great game, but compared to Assassin's Creed 1 and what that game made itself, complete failure.

I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, I agree with the most of stuff you said. And the game easy enough to pick'n'play has become even easier to play:

Factions to hire?
Money to spend on upgrades?
Enemies still attacking one by one (I remember people complaining about that a lot. Now they DO attack, but the damage does not register if you, for example, are in the middle of a counter animation. Which looks even more stupid, better leave them standing doing nothing.)
My favourite thing in assassin's creed 1 was to counter-attack with the hidden blade.
Now blind children and their dogs can do it since you have INSTA-MEDKIT, you can BLOCK with it and the hits take away so little health with the best armor it's a joke. You can even FIGHT WITH THEM LIKE WITH A NORMAL SWORD, just keep mashing that F'n button!

Not to mention that the game is incomplete...
I can't finish the game for 100%...
(And it cost me 100$ here! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

I also loved the framerate!

...NOT.
Sometimes it felt like I was playing some 60+ multiplayer game on Dial-up.

But I liked the game, still better than most games out there, even though worse than it's predecessor.

Hooray for long useless post?

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Now I feel better...</pre>

...NOT.

Ragnar---
12-30-2009, 05:05 PM
The game is great, AC1 was extremely repetitive, Ubisoft added extra things because they new this to.

Drakonous505
12-30-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.offresonance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/double-facepalm.jpg

Bhadva_back
12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
The only thing wrong with AC2 is that it is far 2 easy !

Inb4theban
12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by zIFATALITY:
Ubisoft added extra things because they new this to.
Yeah, why didn't they add extra framerate again?

Bah, whatever...
No matter how much ridiculous it sounds, now they put so much stuff in they don't know what to do with it.
The whole flying sequence was hyped so much and yet was used only once!

All that useless money too. Seriously, you invest money into the villa to get MORE MONEY.
I mean, wut? A medicine costs 75f, and you get more than 10000 per 20 minutes.

This is going nowhere. Just gimme AC3.

(omg0zorZ teh endin woz leik OMGWTF i haet cliffhengerzz)

deathbird223
12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
*sigh* i keep telling everyone this ac2 takes place in a different time where all the ''meaningless side quests'' actually make SENSE they made it diferent because (LISTEN) EZIO IS NOT NOT ALTIAR HE HAS A DIFFERENT PERSONA!!! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FIRST GAME!!!!!