PDA

View Full Version : first atempt at flying online

tuscanlucca
02-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Had my first online flight last night. Loved it.
Got owned due to my noobness but had a ball.
Just a quick apology to the two gentlemen from the raaf and one other, for not introducing myself during the short time I was online. Not usually bad mannered, just a bit excited I guess.
Imagine a game this old still causing excitement

I hope they see this.
Also if the RAAF is a squad (presumably aussie) I would be interested in joining in the future(if your standards are low enough to have me).

Learnt a few good lessons. Flying aircraft your not reasonably familiar with against human opponents is not the best of ideas.Either is flying and typing at the same time.

Had a great time hope I didn't upset anyone. I'm unsure of the correct online ettiquette(can't spell it either).

See you all in the virtual skies

Treetop64
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by tuscanlucca:
Flying aircraft your not reasonably familiar with against human opponents is not the best of ideas.

An exquisitely well executed understatement, tuscanlucca.

Welcome.

HayateAce
02-17-2010, 11:09 PM
My first online flight lasted all of about 2 seconds. The gear on my 109 had hardly clunked shut when some character by the name of "Sable" came blasting overhead and filled me full o' lead. Been cursing vulchers ever since.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

JtD
02-17-2010, 11:26 PM
The major points of online etiquette should be written in the briefing. If nothing's there, just be a good sport.

And good luck with your future adventures!

Feathered_IV
02-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Glad you liked it. It can be either extremely good or extremely meh much of the time. My first sortie was on the wrong server. Free for all with bases 1km apart. 109s in RAF markings, Luftie Spits and Ki-84's of every nationality in between. Hated it and didn't bother with online for another 18 months after that. Later though I found a full switch server with historic panesets and it seemed much better.

If your online sig was Combat Wombat, no wonder the RAAF chaps took an interest in you. There was a fellow in WTE by that name who was quite well known. Or maybe they just like the band... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Owlsphone
02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Just expect to be bad...sometimes very bad compared to other online pilots. It may take a while to just become average, but it's totally worth it when you do score a kill among many players who have 9 years and thousands of virtual flight hours on their side.

The beautiful thing about this game is the community. In general everyone is courteous and kind and the online experience is just about the opposite of most online games today. Your biggest adversary will sometimes be the most likely to give you tips if you just ask for them. You don't get bashed for being a noob. In fact, asking questions is much better than staying silent and committing a faux pas online. Find a squad or some regulars to fly with. Let them know you are new and just learn as much as you can. Just having a wingman or two will increase your survivability ten-fold.

Good luck and keep with it.

miatacol
02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Funny, I dipped my toes into it last night too for the first time! I can't get my head around using external views in a sim so I looked for servers with only cockpit views but that was hard to find! Looked like the server I wanted to join was running some kind of "UP" mod? Was kinda bummed I couldn't get in there as there was almost 50 guys running.

So I joined a server with externals on and that was no fun really. Giant furball with all kinds of craziness. Did manage to get a couple of hits in but not really what I was looking for.

Found a full switch (just maps on I think) server with a few guys on there, took off from my base flew around a little, crossed enemy lines, tension! It was really cool, I was checking my six constantly looking for bandits but none showed up. Really enjoyed it though, the realism was what did it for me, taking off flying through the clouds all the while wondering if some Ace is stalking you and I have no idea. Great stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So can anyone recommend a "full switch" server that goes for historical realism and runs during the week in the evenings (EST)?

robtek1957
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
i can recommend 2 servers based in germany:
1. is by.sturmovik.de:21000 "full real" running mds1.1 maps with UP2.0
2. is by.sturmovik.de:21004 "full real" running dcs-wars with 4.09 vanilla (actual Italy 1943)