PDA

View Full Version : My take on this game... (over 10hrs in...)

Lamoi123
11-21-2009, 05:15 PM
First of all id like to say this game is a really good game, a major improvement over the first. I thought the 1st game has an amazing engine, great core mechanics (i.e. free-running, climbing, combat) but they just forgot to add a decent and compelling game in there... As a result I thought thought the 1st game was really tedious.

This game has been up and down but mostly ups, with a few highs.

- 1st 10mins sucked... That whole seen with miles escaping out of the building could have just been a cutscene, it was tedious and could have been cut completely. Got to say I never been sold on the whole 'matrix' side story, i think the game works fine as Assassins in different periods of history...

- Then after this the game picks up a bit and is good. But then kind of dips a bit, and heres why......

You see this game is billed as a 'stealth' game.
I disagree, i think this game is a 'action adventure' game with stealth elements.

This game, doesnt like to give you too much freedom or control over how you go about taking out your 'main story' targets. Ironically few have the option of being tackled in a stealthy manner, most turn into a 'chase' or a 'ruck'.

For example, the one where you kil the guy on the boat with your wrist gun.. There is no other wayto do it. The game wont allow it. Its do it this way or no way. I find alot of the Assassinations are handled in varying similar ways (i.e. limited choices, or just one in some cases). Which is kind of disappointing given the scope of options available.

The game wins ultimately on its own merits, and the good outways the bad. When the game does allow you to be creative then its a brillaint experience, but when not, it feels contrived and shallow. Its this element of the game, which is essentially linear, that stops it from achieving greatness I feel.

What are other peoples thoughts..?

Crash_Plague
11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, I'd have to disagree with you.

I really liked the opening scene, after being stuck walking around in the animus room for the whole first game, it was good to finally get Desmond in on the action, and do something.

Second point I really want to comment on is this one;

For example, the one where you kil the guy on the boat with your wrist gun.. There is no other wayto do it. The game wont allow it. Its do it this way or no way. I find alot of the Assassinations are handled in varying similar ways. Which is kind of disappointing given the scope of options available.

That is completely wrong. For me, I dived into the water, climbed up the back of the ship, pull ed the guard looking out the south side into the water, then simply snuck up behind Marco and his guards, and assassinated him, with my hidden blade. No one saw anything coming. Then I just threw down a smoke bomb and dived off the ship, becoming anonymous.

There are several ways to complete each mission and there is always a way to perform an assassination.

You just need to be smart about it.

But I do agree with you regarding stealth. Stealth IS there for the the use, but most gamers will take the action side because if they wanted nothing but stealth, they'd pick up splinter cell.

The action moves are awesome to say the least, but the option of having stealth there just adds so much to the game.

JudgeQwerty
11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
There is not nearly as much stealth in this game as in the first, despite the fact you have so many more methods for a silent kill.

The first game, you could stealth assassinate all the targets save the last two. This one, you can't even sneak up on half the targets. Its kind of disappointing, but then Ezio is not the patient type.

Captain Tomatoz
11-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Assassin's Creed II is a third person action-adventure video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft.

wikipedia http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PS: welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Plague
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
There is not nearly as much stealth in this game as in the first, despite the fact you have so many more methods for a silent kill.

The first game, you could stealth assassinate all the targets save the last two. This one, you can't even sneak up on half the targets. Its kind of disappointing, but then Ezio is not the patient type.

Well, no. It's not that stealth is smaller in this game, its that its harder most of the time. I will agree that there a lot of missions that will turn into a chase just because of scripting, but stealth is possible all other times.

It's just that the AI is more advanced and diverse this time, so stealth becomes harder and needs more planing than the first game. I was able to use stealth most of the time. It's just knowing when to use what, when to throw a knife, when to use poison, when to hop from bale of hay to bale of hay silently picking off guards.

Lamoi123
11-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Well I'll have to try that mission again.. I tried jumping into the water, but it failed me for leaving mission zone...????

I like the action but I like the stealth aswell... Very much in fact, and its a shame it cant be utilised to the same degree as in the side missions... Like JudgeQwerty said, you cant even sneak up on half the targets.... I cant tell you how stealthy ive been and then for no reason the guy is suddenly alerted to my presence..? Like in the monestry killing the monk, couldnt do it stealthily. The fat patzzi guy, i had some ******s follow me and as soon as he saw the ******s he legged it.....??? What happened there, I have no idea. Infact nearly all the main targets are impossible to take out with stealth..

Crash_Plague
11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Lamoi123:
Well I'll have to try that mission again.. I tried jumping into the water, but it failed me for leaving mission zone...????

I like the action but I like the stealth aswell... Very much in fact, and its a shame it cant be utilised to the same degree as in the side missions... Like JudgeQwerty said, you cant even sneak up on half the targets.... I cant tell you how stealthy ive been and then for no reason the guy is suddenly alerted to my presence..? Like in the monestry killing the monk, couldnt do it stealthily. The fat patzzi guy, i had some ******s follow me and as soon as he saw the ******s he legged it.....??? What happened there, I have no idea. Infact nearly all the main targets are impossible to take out with stealth..

hmm, you couldn't kill the monk silently?

All I did was blend with the crowd groups, and wait for him to come close to me, then I jumped from the group and killed him.....and coincidentally the guy next to him, haha....poor random guy....

xD

and yeah, there is a small area of water around the ship that doesn't desync you.

Lamoi123
11-21-2009, 05:41 PM
ok... have re-try. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

GkrewZ
11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I took out most of the major targets with stealth...

Silhouelle
11-21-2009, 07:13 PM
I spent most of the game just happily slaughtering any who got in my way. On the rare occassion they actually beat me up some, I'd just use one of the health potions which while I apprectiate, think was a bad call really. Also the fact you end up with so much health by the end of the game, not to mention the armour.

After I fool around on my main game some more (doing the family crypt atm)I'm planning on starting a new game, and playing Ezio as much more of a stealthy sort. Avoid rooftops most of the time, use crowds, run from battles rather than counter-kill/disarm my way to victory and not buy any armour at all, so I'll have less health and be forced to play stealthy. xD

I actually only started using the courtesans/mercanaries recently, in the last Venice chapter... its actually quite nice, more suspenion rather than going in counter-killing guards. :b