PDA

View Full Version : Setting up hat is a pain (Needs pulldown or ability to type in)

ladlon
03-04-2006, 10:27 AM
When defining the hat controls, I'm finding it really tricky to get the correct angle (ex: Top Left). Any tricks to entering the proper 'angle'? I wish there was just a pulldown with each angle on it, or that you could just type it in. Right now, it's often taking me 10 tries just to try and get the diagonals (...up/down/left/right is easy... but diagonals are really tricky!)

I know it normally has everything set up, but unfortunately, I have a racing wheel that has claimed ID1, so the default joystick settings don't apply to my joystick (ID2).

Any help?

ladlon
03-04-2006, 10:27 AM
When defining the hat controls, I'm finding it really tricky to get the correct angle (ex: Top Left). Any tricks to entering the proper 'angle'? I wish there was just a pulldown with each angle on it, or that you could just type it in. Right now, it's often taking me 10 tries just to try and get the diagonals (...up/down/left/right is easy... but diagonals are really tricky!)

I know it normally has everything set up, but unfortunately, I have a racing wheel that has claimed ID1, so the default joystick settings don't apply to my joystick (ID2).

Any help?

Chuck_Older
03-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Errr...this may sound stupid, but since even a neanderthal like me has been on USB for 7 or 8 years...why don't you just unplug your racing wheel?

major_setback
03-04-2006, 11:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ladlon:

Any help? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!
At least if you have a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 (or a stick where you can programme the buttons, hat switch etc.):

The answer is to programme the joysicks hat-switch to a keypad number for the view you want (in the joystick software), then you only have to set (ex.) the up-right view to 'keypad 9' in the controls settings:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m...631061913#7631061913 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/6121061913/r/7631061913#7631061913)

Second method: if the above won't work (this is actually the better method). Copy your settings from a campaign where the contols are the way you like them: Copy the controls from the configuration file for that campaign (I think this is in the 'Users' sub-folder in the main game folder - look for the campaign), paste them into the default configuration file in that same 'users' . you won't have to change contols again.

EDITED!!!!!!

...Other useful piece of info:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m...301010703#7301010703 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/7301010703/r/7301010703#7301010703)

major_setback
03-04-2006, 11:31 AM
More info...

The configuration file is named 'conf'.

I dont know if this is any easier to understand, it's copied from someones earlier post:

"Controls using coniguration

You should have a 'default.ini' file in your 'Users' folder inside your game folder. If you open that in notepad, you'll notice that all the key definitions are listed there.

When you put your custom key definitions into this file, then every time you create a new user profile, you'll start with this default key mapping. Quite handy really.

Consequently, the keymappings for a profile that's already been created are in 'settings.ini' under the folder named after said pilot (inside Users). You can modify this likewise.

No need to enter the game to map keys."

Also...

"Set the controls (in-game; by creating a campaign) as you want to have them. Make sure you name the campaign so that it€s easy to find!

Change settings in the default config file in the USERS folder (in the €˜campaigns€ folder):

Copy the following from the settings in the campaign you did earlier:

Copy and paste into the default config file all that lies between €˜[HotKey pilot]€ and €˜[difficulty]€."

I'm not 100% sure I'mn telling you to do the right thing. I'm REALLY tired just now (less than 1 hurs sleep last night).

Anybody else arond that camn help with this?
I can't find the right part of the conf file.

major_setback
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I got this right in the end, NOTE: I changed (edited) the first post, the info there is right now.

ladlon
03-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Chuck: That IS a solution, but it's a pain crawling under the desks, travelling through the jungle of cables under there... I don't have the typical 'IKEA' zen 3 cables thing happening. I've got 3 PC's with just about every type of hardware plugged into it (plus a midi studio, etc, etc). So, besides it being a pain to crawl through all that, there's about a 1 in 3 chance I may not make it out alive...

I wish I could just permanently set the ID numbers for each... making the wheel ID2.

Major Setback: Hi. Ya, I don't think the Cyborg EVO is programmable... but I'll have to look into that. Maybe it does. Even so, it's not like I have to program the inputs each time. I just set them once (they appear with an ID2 after it) and it remembers them. It's all fine, just that I've recently got FB/AEP, so I've reinstalled everything from scratch, and so I have to program the controls again. Once it's done, it's done... but getting those diagonals on the hat is more challenging then shooting down a B-17! But, I got it now... so that little crisis in my life is over now.

major_setback
03-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Look into changing the configuration file (see my other post above). I never have to set anything at all now, not new campaigns or missions or even new pilots controls, they are all set the way I want them.

Note. I just copy these files if I patch, or, if I had to re-install. Just save them and paste in when you've re-installed.

ladlon
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey, another question...

Is there a way (in the contols hotkey page) to CLEAR an entry? Another minor annoyance is when I'm setting up the control hotkeys, there's two entries (two hotkeys), so I have to enter my desired hotkey twice, so there's just one hotkey (...I like keeping it clean, with only one hotkey, unless I need two for some reason). Would be nice if there was a button you could press to clear the currently selected item's hotkeys... No biggie... but it would be nice.

major_setback
03-04-2006, 01:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ladlon:
Hey, another question...

Is there a way (in the contols hotkey page) to CLEAR an entry? Another minor annoyance is when I'm setting up the control hotkeys, there's two entries (two hotkeys), so I have to enter my desired hotkey twice, so there's just one hotkey (...I like keeping it clean, with only one hotkey, unless I need two for some reason). Would be nice if there was a button you could press to clear the currently selected item's hotkeys... No biggie... but it would be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think not, that's just the way it is.

WWSensei
03-04-2006, 01:33 PM
You can also change Device IDs by just bringing up the Game Controllers part of Control Panel and telling it you want the race wheel to be device 2.

ladlon
03-04-2006, 02:08 PM
WWSensei: How do you do that? I can't find anything like that in the game controller settings in the control panel.

MajorSetback: Yup, no biggie... I got all the controls mapped out again. She's good...