PDA

View Full Version : SH3, Then DC2, Then FAA?

Nimrod2005
01-31-2005, 03:06 AM
People,
After Destroyer Command 2, don't you think it would be great to create a ASW flight-sim (especially with Ubi's expertise in the field). I'd love to play online as pilot of a PBY-5 Catalina or Short Sunderland!

It'd be great, looking over the wing and seeing the black outline of a U-boat feet from the surface before dropping depth charges or directing in destroyers.

Fleet Air Arm as a title? Maybe not?

What are your thoughts?

Nimrod2005
01-31-2005, 03:06 AM
People,
After Destroyer Command 2, don't you think it would be great to create a ASW flight-sim (especially with Ubi's expertise in the field). I'd love to play online as pilot of a PBY-5 Catalina or Short Sunderland!

It'd be great, looking over the wing and seeing the black outline of a U-boat feet from the surface before dropping depth charges or directing in destroyers.

Fleet Air Arm as a title? Maybe not?

What are your thoughts?

Messervy
01-31-2005, 04:07 AM
I think I like your avatar http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Nimrod2005
01-31-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks! Made it myself!

macker33
01-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Personally i would like to see a decent WWII tank sim,from the steppes of russia to the sand and dust of north africa to the hedgerows of europe to the island hops in the pacific.

Not a combo sim but a proper tank sim.

Dominicrigg
01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Agreed macker, though ww2 was a bit "one hit your dead" since armour was behind gun design. Maybe M1 tank platoon?

Even the tank stages in Medal of honour and Call of Duty are too much fun though, i play them over and over lol!

Licula
01-31-2005, 09:59 AM
I'd rather a tank sim, too - maybe even an infantry sim, if that's possible, to replace arcade **** where you pick up a bottle and heal a bullet wound.

Nimrod2005
01-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I was thinking flight-sim because it's the only element missing from the SH/DC multiplay arena...

You can be a sub attacking a plane or a destroyer, you can be a destroyer attacking a plane or a sub,

BUT you can't YET be a plane attacking both!

That's what I meant...

I do like the idea of a tank sim too though, I loved the Armored Fist series! But a tank isn't much use in a naval battle... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Licula
01-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Huh? You can attack ships in Pacific Fighters. It's funny to watch them sink, too.

HeibgesU999
01-31-2005, 10:44 AM
You should play SOCOM II. Very realistic. But you have to join a good clan, like every online game, or it can get real grabazzy.

blue_76
01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macker33:
Personally i would like to see a decent WWII tank sim,from the steppes of russia to the sand and dust of north africa to the hedgerows of europe to the island hops in the pacific.

Not a combo sim but a proper tank sim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

check this out.. though its only available in russia.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

http://www.t-72.iddk.ru/en/screen.html

Busysilent1
01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Licula:

If you want realistic WWII infantry sim, play Red Orchestra (http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/). It has some armour now and much more to come. RO is an upcoming star in this category. It's a free mod for UT2004, so if you have UT2004 no excuse not to try it.

TonyPiech
01-31-2005, 01:30 PM
If you're looking for a realistic tank sim, SteelBeasts2 is the way to go. They have a version called SteelBeast Pro which will be released shortly and is being used by some hardcore users (usually ex-tankers) that's somewhat expensive at $125 a pop. A sim version for gamers will probably be distributed around the end of the year for $40. to get more info, see their website at:
http://www.steelbeasts.com/

macker33
01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
i got M1 tank platoon 2 and gunship(helicopter sister of M1 tank platoon 2).both are pretty decent games.Microprose are sorely missed.

The tank stage in MOHAA was ok.
Panzer commander is my favourite tank game(it wants the 1.3patch though.
Panzer elite was a big disappointment,it took about 2 hours to install an was nothing like panzer commander.
I havent had a go of steel beasts(???)yet or armoured fists.

there is a lot of attacking boats in CFS2 if thats what anybody is after,microsoft tend to be a bit slow in lowering the price of its games so it would probably work out better for somebody to buy Pacific fighters,i have it installed for the last month but have only played it twice so i dont know whats the story with attacking the ships.

If planes are ever incorporated into the SH\DC world lets hope they are more managable than the ones in battlefield 1942.

SOCOM II,bah!!i hate modern elite forces games,

Thanks blue for the t-72 game link,it doesnt say how to get the game but i'll have a nose around later,i love russian war machines.

I will download the Red orchestra mod later for UT2K3,i havent cleared UT2k4 yet so thats a mod no go area a while.
Looks promising anyway.

BIGGER,BETTER,FASTER,STRONGER,ARRGGHH.
i'm hitting unreal mode.Best game of last year by a mile.

macker33
01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Nice picture tonypiech,makes me want a can of lilt.

Licula
01-31-2005, 02:16 PM
It just so happens that I do have UT2004, so I may do that - soon as I get DSL.

macker33
01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
i'll try and clear it before SH3 comes out.
If the big boss is anything like the big boss in ut2k3 i might be in big trouble,2nd hardest boss of all time.

I have broadband so if you have windows i can download it no problem and send you the cd(provided i can get my stupid writer to behave).
Really,its not a problem.

longdog499
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Licula:
I'd rather a tank sim, too - maybe even an infantry sim, if that's possible, to replace arcade **** where you pick up a bottle and heal a bullet wound. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try the 'Combat Mission' series of games.They're pretty good

Busysilent1
02-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Just a word of warning re Red Orchestra: it's a multiplay only game for now. There is an offline mode for practise but bot's AI is toned down so they do not react well. But in multiplayer mode it is a very hard game. If I score a couple of kills in one night, I am happy.

macker33
02-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I like dumb AI,it makes feel like i'm king of the hill,A number one,on top of the world,An expert in all things computer.

Licula
02-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I should have DSL in a week or two - just waiting for the modem to arrive.

macker33
02-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Its a way better,if i had to go back to 56k i would go off my rocker.
All those big files you ever wanted to download will be a breeze from now on and the connection never gets lost.
Some packages have download limits of 4 or 8gbs a month so you might have to watch that a little bit.