PDA

View Full Version : NPC Heroes

EBugle
10-26-2010, 08:18 PM
So, one thing I think that HoMMIV especially well was the inclusion of NPC heroes.

For those who haven't played HoMMIV, the NPC heroes were basically heroes who wandered around the map with their army, essentially just the same as a wandering monster, only with a hero to support him.

The reason I liked this so much is that an army without a hero is much more vulnerable than one with a hero. So if there was a valuable treasure or something you wanted guarded, you could either guard it with a large stack, or a fair sized stack + a hero (or two) to back up the army.

I think this would be a great thing to bring back in VI, even if they were stationary and never moved.

EBugle
10-26-2010, 08:18 PM
So, one thing I think that HoMMIV especially well was the inclusion of NPC heroes.

For those who haven't played HoMMIV, the NPC heroes were basically heroes who wandered around the map with their army, essentially just the same as a wandering monster, only with a hero to support him.

The reason I liked this so much is that an army without a hero is much more vulnerable than one with a hero. So if there was a valuable treasure or something you wanted guarded, you could either guard it with a large stack, or a fair sized stack + a hero (or two) to back up the army.

I think this would be a great thing to bring back in VI, even if they were stationary and never moved.

GoranXII
10-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Something between options 1 and 2, I'd use them sometimes, but not all the time.

I'd also like to see some NPC towns, ie ,operate like normal towns, but heroes stick within their own AoC.

EBugle
10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
1 is hardly "I will use them always and forever," but fair point, the wording doesn't necesarily show that.

NPC towns have... kind of existed in the past. I know some town garrisons would get stronger if you ignored them, while others wouldn't.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

GoranXII
10-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Well I don't know how it is with other games, but in H3, before you captured a town it never did anything, from day 1 to the end of the game. Besides, a growing garrison is barely a fraction of what I'm after, I want a town that recruits heroes, builds buildings, flags mines and dwellings and does everything else a normal player does, but only within the limits of its AoC.