PDA

View Full Version : Holly FPS with S3TC Compression Enabled.....

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I've been working with Oleg and Yuri to find a bug where, in Perfect mode, flying the F4U-1C/D and with Iwo Jima in sight, and mirror's on, the game would lockup while opening and closing the canopy frequently. But the Island needs to be in large view of your field of vision for the lockup to occur. If you wouldn't open or close the canopy, the GUI would lockup nonetheless.

Well anyway, for troubleshooting purposes, I enabled S3TC compression. I almost had to grab a tissue when I fired up the same mission after enabling S3TC. I gained about 15 to 20 FPS with S3TC compression enabled and in Perfect Mode. With mirror's off, it's about a 30 to 40 fps increase. Also, the Lockups are gone !!!!!!!!

Now I kept the same setting that IL2setup would yield, except to have S3TC enabled, you need to switch to custom settings. I also use Aniso, because it yields a much better picture. I do however change water to 0 and Forest to 1, because that too yields better frame rates anyway and to me, it looks the same and would rather have the extra FPS in Perfect Mode.

Let me also add, that if you change sound to 22hz, you will also get more fps and hardly notice the difference.

Best Regards and really hope this helps anyone.

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I've been working with Oleg and Yuri to find a bug where, in Perfect mode, flying the F4U-1C/D and with Iwo Jima in sight, and mirror's on, the game would lockup while opening and closing the canopy frequently. But the Island needs to be in large view of your field of vision for the lockup to occur. If you wouldn't open or close the canopy, the GUI would lockup nonetheless.

Well anyway, for troubleshooting purposes, I enabled S3TC compression. I almost had to grab a tissue when I fired up the same mission after enabling S3TC. I gained about 15 to 20 FPS with S3TC compression enabled and in Perfect Mode. With mirror's off, it's about a 30 to 40 fps increase. Also, the Lockups are gone !!!!!!!!

Now I kept the same setting that IL2setup would yield, except to have S3TC enabled, you need to switch to custom settings. I also use Aniso, because it yields a much better picture. I do however change water to 0 and Forest to 1, because that too yields better frame rates anyway and to me, it looks the same and would rather have the extra FPS in Perfect Mode.

Let me also add, that if you change sound to 22hz, you will also get more fps and hardly notice the difference.

Best Regards and really hope this helps anyone.

Marek_Steele
11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Bravo!
edit: Oh well, not so bravo to me, I just tried my 4200 with 66.93's (wich had always ran with s3tc) and it still does it, and again, when it doesn't the refly screen will be messed up as I explained ITT (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=2081055332&r=4941068332#4941068332) .
If it helps, I had it using both a 5900 and a ti4200 with 56.72/61.77/62.82/66.82/66.93.
I'll test the 5900 with s3tc on, I'll post back in a minute or so. Unfortunately, still, s3tc degrades textures a lot.

Kasdeya
11-25-2004, 12:24 PM
I am gonna try this out. Yay I hope it works for me...

Will let you know, thanks for posting Beolke.

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:24 PM
As Cartman would say, SWEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!!

And I did have to grab a tissue, cause my eyes clouded over, lolololol

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kasdeya:
I am gonna try this out. Yay I hope it works for me...

Will let you know, thanks for posting Beolke. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are very welcome. Just post if you need help. I can even email you a copy of my conf.ini if you like. Keep in mind though, that I have an X800xt using the 4.11 cats with the old exe, The new exe causes loss of textures with the 4.11's.

TAGERT.
11-25-2004, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG51Beolke:

Best Regards and really hope this helps anyone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I use to use custom.. but now with the 6800GT listed as one of the selections I use that.. Becuse I read somewhere that they recomended doing so.. But, via the config file, what variable ctrls the S3TC thing? I want to see if the selection of the 6800GT enables that

Mjollnir111675
11-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Ok with that said could someone please tell me what all the other options in the custom setup window are fer?? What exactly do they do?

Thank you!!

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG51Beolke:

Best Regards and really hope this helps anyone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I use to use custom.. but now with the 6800GT listed as one of the selections I use that.. Becuse I read somewhere that they recomended doing so.. But, via the config file, what variable ctrls the S3TC thing? I want to see if the selection of the 6800GT enables that <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting enough, If you goto Custom after applying the settings specific to your card, you will see the settings that were being used. Apply what ever changes to that.

Like when I apply the specific setup for the X800, then Apply, then go back in and select Custom, I will see the settings IL2Setup was using for my specific card. I make my changes to that.

Kasdeya
11-25-2004, 12:36 PM
It did give me about maybe five more frames. ah well, excellent still runs slower than perfect, by about 8 frames. I will play with it a lil more. gotta run turkey day and all.

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
Ok with that said could someone please tell me what all the other options in the custom setup window are fer?? What exactly do they do?

Thank you!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There meant to give you a big beautiful fluffy world.

Mine for Instance, has;

Aniso Filetering
S3TC Compression
Checked Dither
Checked polygon Stipple
Then I have checked only Multitexture, Combine, Secondary Color, Texture Aniso and Texture Compress ARB

Aniso filtering give a seamless view between tiles. Don't really know what Vertex Array does, only that it give me graphis anomolies during flight and don't see any difference with it unchecked.

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kasdeya:
It did give me about maybe five more frames. ah well, excellent still runs slower than perfect, by about 8 frames. I will play with it a lil more. gotta run turkey day and all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try it in Perfect and you should see a greater increase. For some reason in this game, Perfect runs faster than Excellent, Don't understand why though.

Marek_Steele
11-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Oh well, I still have crashes with the 5900 too.
When I can't return to the refly menu (to be stuck in there!) I'll have screens as this one I just capped during the crash http://imageuploading.com/041125/1101411835.jpg

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marek_Steele:
Oh well, I still have crashes with the 5900 too.
When I can't return to the refly menu (to be stuck in there!) I'll have screens as this one I just capped during the crash http://imageuploading.com/041125/1101411835.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marek, the same exact thing was happening to me. If it didn't crash, the GUI would become useless. But then you also have a different card than me.

I swear, testing with Oleg and Yuri, took me through ton's of different things to try until I came across the S3TC.

I can e-mail you my Conf.ini. Just let me know if your on Hyperlobby, and I'll IM you to get your addy.

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Just realized, I could just copy and past the Sound and OpenGl setups here, lolololol. Here they are.........

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=2
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=0
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=0
ObjectVolume=9
MusState.takeoff=0
MusState.inflight=0
MusState.crash=0
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=9
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=1
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=10
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=2
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=1
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=1
LandShading=0
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17

ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0
Water=0
Effects=1

carguy_
11-25-2004, 01:31 PM
There`s no real reason why should one use S3TC if normal fps is around 60.

Mjollnir111675
11-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Takk Viking!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Marek_Steele
11-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey, a deep thanks for your help, and sorry I didn't check back the thread in time so I'd have replied to your first post.
I tried your ini lines and it didn't crash. But obviously as I have another card that needs the nvidia render path, the game looks doesn't look like perfect and water is flat, as you know this only happens in perfect mode. I guess I'll have to check settings one by one...
You might try also to have everything on default and just add s3tc, as it might be one of the other settings or maybe nvidia's implementation of s3tc just isn't the same so results may vary.

carguy_ excepting for the fps, this thread was also about it being a way to stop the aforementioned crashes. I guess everyone agrees s3tc just shouldn't be used is you have 128mb or more, small details on skins are the ones that most suffer.

Just to add, a funny thing about the cap I took is that this issue only happens with mirrors, and that small square in the lowe left is actually a rear view window that might be used to render the mirror (wich stopped being displayed, I just noticed it's missing above after so many crashes!).
Good luck with your findings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG51Beolke
11-25-2004, 08:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marek_Steele:
Hey, a deep thanks for your help, and sorry I didn't check back the thread in time so I'd have replied to your first post.
I tried your ini lines and it didn't crash. But obviously as I have another card that needs the nvidia render path, the game looks doesn't look like perfect and water is flat, as you know this only happens in perfect mode. I guess I'll have to check settings one by one...
You might try also to have everything on default and just add s3tc, as it might be one of the other settings or maybe nvidia's implementation of s3tc just isn't the same so results may vary.

carguy_ excepting for the fps, this thread was also about it being a way to stop the aforementioned crashes. I guess everyone agrees s3tc just shouldn't be used is you have 128mb or more, small details on skins are the ones that most suffer.

Just to add, a funny thing about the cap I took is that this issue only happens with mirrors, and that small square in the lowe left is actually a rear view window that might be used to render the mirror (wich stopped being displayed, I just noticed it's missing above after so many crashes!).
Good luck with your findings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your Exactly right Marek. Like I said, I was in the same situation. Only with Miror's On, the game will lockup with graphic corruption. With Mirror's off, No lockups !!!

I will let you know if I find any other settings that may be helpful.

Best Regards

SgtBriggs
11-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Nice Tip http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
heck im getting the same fps with perfect now, that i do with excellent. wow.

Czunik
11-26-2004, 04:41 AM
I don't agree with describet definition of Polygon Stipple. For me, the only effect is that smoke (of fires, of ships, dust behind tanks) has shadow which is made by checker-board pattern of black. Without 'Polygon stipple' smoke has no shadow.

Maple_Tiger
11-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Arnt you glad I mentioned this Beolke?

It realy is a nice option to have.

Maple_Tiger
11-26-2004, 08:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Czunik:
I don't agree with describet definition of Polygon Stipple. For me, the only effect is that smoke (of fires, of ships, dust behind tanks) has shadow which is made by checker-board pattern of black. Without 'Polygon stipple' smoke has no shadow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Polygon Stipple: Emulates shadow transparency in the absence of a stencil buffer.

So, for me, I have this unchecked because I have Stencil buffer enabled.

Hunter82
11-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Dither does that, MT not polygon stipple http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hunter82
11-26-2004, 08:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Czunik:
I don't agree with describet definition of Polygon Stipple. For me, the only effect is that smoke (of fires, of ships, dust behind tanks) has shadow which is made by checker-board pattern of black. Without 'Polygon stipple' smoke has no shadow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct as Polygon stipple creates a 32X32 stipple pattern of a checkerboard type. programmatically selecting whether to perform a stencil test on a per-pixel or a per-sample basis

JEPPO.
11-26-2004, 09:48 AM
i have noticed, that by removeing these 2 lines at the bottom of the conf.ini file, it stop eratic fps. what i mean by that is. if your parked at a field not moveing around with views, and you notice your fps jumps up and down about 5 to 10 fps every second or two.

anyway.. i hope this helps alittle. good luck and good flying
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
PolygonOffsetFactor=-(number here)
PolygonOffsetUnits=-(number here)

Maple_Tiger
11-26-2004, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter82:
Dither does that, MT not polygon stipple http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what it says in the manual and thats how I have been interpiting it since 1.01.

Dither: Controls dither mode for 16-bit modes.

Polygon Stipple: Emulates shadow transparency in the absence of a stencil buffer.

JG51Beolke
11-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Bump, Because this is pretty usefull info !!!

woofiedog
11-26-2004, 10:37 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gifThank's for the info... JG51Beolke!

JG51Beolke
11-27-2004, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by woofiedog:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gifThank's for the info... JG51Beolke! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your Welcome.

Bumpiddy Bump Bump...............

Daytraders
11-27-2004, 07:28 AM
forget about dither mode as i bet 99.9% of you are playing in 32bit.

JG51Beolke
11-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Bump - Very useful info.............