PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users - Probs/Warnings on Patch 1.01 !

thinkbible
12-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Two Issues:

First, I tried to download the new 1.01 patch and file is in a format that some browsers may not know how to handle. Safari simply loaded up the file as un-readable ascii in the browswer window. I used Internet Explorer to download the file. It at least asks you what to do with a .jar file. Safari didn't ask.

Second, once I ran the patch to install it failed. It's looking for a certain path. Look here:Patch (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10078&p_created=1099955039&p_sid=XfzAh5sh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmw mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0mcF9jYXRfbHZsM T0xMTc4JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=cF91c2VyaWQ9MTUwOTdFMTAtQkRFOS00M0M0LUE4RjYtN EFCQzFBOTM4NzhCJnBfcGFzc3dkPTA2QjBERjhDLTBFOTAtNDA 4MC1CJnBfbGlfcGFzc3dkPQ**)

If even if your path is correct there may be another problem with the vpd.properties file. I looked and I don't have one. The solution? Uninstall the game and re-install!

I'm thinking that if you "unistall" your saved games may be gone???

Anyone gone thru this???

thinkbible
12-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Two Issues:

First, I tried to download the new 1.01 patch and file is in a format that some browsers may not know how to handle. Safari simply loaded up the file as un-readable ascii in the browswer window. I used Internet Explorer to download the file. It at least asks you what to do with a .jar file. Safari didn't ask.

Second, once I ran the patch to install it failed. It's looking for a certain path. Look here:Patch (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10078&p_created=1099955039&p_sid=XfzAh5sh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmw mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0mcF9jYXRfbHZsM T0xMTc4JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=cF91c2VyaWQ9MTUwOTdFMTAtQkRFOS00M0M0LUE4RjYtN EFCQzFBOTM4NzhCJnBfcGFzc3dkPTA2QjBERjhDLTBFOTAtNDA 4MC1CJnBfbGlfcGFzc3dkPQ**)

If even if your path is correct there may be another problem with the vpd.properties file. I looked and I don't have one. The solution? Uninstall the game and re-install!

I'm thinking that if you "unistall" your saved games may be gone???

Anyone gone thru this???

maztec
12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Your saved games should still be around. For extra care make a backup of them.

Next time don't delete your vpd.properties file :P

Actually, what you have to do is go to install the game and it'll tell you it's already installed. Then you can get around it apparently.

thinkbible
12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Next time don't delete your vpd.properties file :P
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never deleted a vpd.properites file. At least, not that I know of. Where is this file located. Is it a sys file? I know I don't have one because I searched my system with the system "find" util.

And yes.. the saved games are in a "saved" folder in the MystIV parent folder.

maztec
12-04-2004, 12:20 AM
I believe it sticks it in the root directory or on the desktop..

Can't remember exactly which, I just remember that whichever it was it's one where people see the file, go "What's this?" Because it's sitting there and obviously there and dump it in the trashcan without a second thought. Talked to a lot of people with that problem :P So it's quite possible you did it and don't remember. Just so y'know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

padea
12-10-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't see an installer.

I used IE as indicated by thinkbible and got 'DownloadFile.htm' which I then opened w/ Stuffit Expander v. 8.0.3. Now I have a 'DownloadFile.htm Folder' which contains:

c757895cbf53792bade6a3c4b7f9c64 (folder)
com (folder)
META-INF (folder)
org (folder)
run.class (file w/ java icon)
run.inf (file)
wizard.inf (file)

I see no way of installing any of this. Do I just drag and drop?

'vpd.properties' is in my main users folder but I don't understand the significance of this in the above exchange...

Any help most appreciated.

G5 1.8x2
5 GB RAM
GeForce 6800 Ultra
OS X.3.6

Addendum:

I DL'ed what I assume is the old 1.01 patch (using IE) from the link (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10066&p_created=1099436632&p_sid=mqg3WGsh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmw mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0xMTE0JnBfY2F0X 2x2bDE9JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=) on UBI's Mac support page. That put a jar file on my desktop, it didn't 'ask any questions', just dropped the file there.

The file was the exact same size as the 'newer' (http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Info.htm?dlId=709) one. There are files in the folder produced by unzipping the 'newer' one that have the same coffee cup icon (java) but they all say 'class' instead of 'jar'. They do nothing when double-clicked.

I double-clicked the jar file from the 'older' patch and an installer opened. However, it only supplies options to install on files and folders in my OS and I have the game installed on a separate partition. I went ahead with the installation anyway and it created a Ubisoft folder in Applications with the update file and an uninstall folder in it. It then declared the installation successful.

I've been to 3 ages and am probably around half way and it plays fine except for the immersive effects glitch. I can leave these effects on a large part of the time w/o crashing. I can see little differences like static electric 'bolts' and such with them on. No part of Serenia (sp?) can be played with them on. I cannot start the game with them on.

No biggie I guess, just frustrated at this sloppy attempt at a patch and the lack of any official acknowledgment and/or postings regarding this issue. As an x-ShadowBane player the crappy Mac support from UBI comes as no real surprise - was just hoping for a little more effort with a flagship game like Myst...

maztec
12-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Completely confused as to what the issue is.

The browser isn't want handles the java jar file. It doesn't need to. The browser, including safari, will handle it just fine if the server serves up the correct meta data for it. Most browsers even guess if it seems to be wildly incorrect for the header of the file. Safari does this. Actually Mozilla/Firefox is one of the few browsers that doesn't make these sloppy guesses which can cause problems... And it still does it sometimes, particularly on windows platforms.