PDA

View Full Version : OT-But interesting...Manfred is rolling over is his grave

JV-44
07-23-2006, 12:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5207124.stm

I would think the BBC could at least manage spell his name right.

JV-44
07-23-2006, 12:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5207124.stm

I would think the BBC could at least manage spell his name right.

x6BL_Brando
07-23-2006, 03:10 AM
There are different spellings around (http://www.petcaretips.net/red_baron.html) but it all seems rather at odds with the article.
I mean, a girl conspires to murder her parents and you pick up on a possible spelling mistake?

Weird!

B

r_c
07-23-2006, 03:16 AM
that's too bad,
..never trust your kid(s) They'll kill you if you let em ;-(

JV-44
07-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Yep - I'm anal like that. It€s called Attention-to-Detail.

When they arrested €œSqueeky Fromme€ I remember thinking that she needed to wash her hair and when they executed Gary Gilmore by firing squad I remember thinking that the screen the cops stood behind when they shot him wasn€t exactly centered on the firing line.

Had I been alive to see Gavrilo Princip€s tragic comedy of errors, I would have complained about his lack of tactical and technical competency.

Semper Fi Mac

DuxCorvan
07-23-2006, 09:17 AM
If attention-to-detail is so important for you, you can't miss the stupid final sentence:

"Baron von Richthofen was shot dead during a dogfight over the River Somme in 1918, ending the career of one of Germany's most skilful - and most feared - fighter pilots."

This is a jewel of information. Now I know that being "shot dead" makes your career end. And that being a skilful killer makes you -how curious- feared by your enemies.

Obviously, this guy knows about WW1 air warfare the same I know about baseball. This is, nothing. God bless Google.

I can make my own article now:

"Maria Callas was a famous opera singer. So she sang operas in opera houses. She died when she met dead, after being alive for several years. Her admirers admire her for the operas she sang, which were well known operas in the world of opera singing."

JV-44
07-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Dux,

Good point.

I think the article itself (not the event it poorly attempts to summarize) is another sad example of the €œsound-bite€ or €œsnippet€ mentality most media outlets continue to print and/or publish based on the fallacy that their €œaverage€ reader has the attention span of a Spider Monkey.

Your tongue-and-cheek €œopera€ piece is classic.

darelc
07-23-2006, 10:00 AM
I think you are gravely overestimating the "average reader"

heywooood
07-23-2006, 12:46 PM
..lol..."gravely"...good one.

wayno7777
07-23-2006, 12:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JV-44:
Yep - I'm anal like that. It€s called Attention-to-Detail.

When they arrested €œSqueeky Fromme€ I remember thinking that she needed to wash her hair and when they executed Gary Gilmore by firing squad I remember thinking that the screen the cops stood behind when they shot him wasn€t exactly centered on the firing line.

Had I been alive to see Gavrilo Princip€s tragic comedy of errors, I would have complained about his lack of tactical and technical competency.

Semper Fi Mac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you watch "Monk" on USA network?....