PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to open the Bomb Bay doors??

AStotzer
01-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Do you have to open the Bomb Bay doors on the B25 when dropping bombs? If so, what button opens them?

AStotzer
01-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Do you have to open the Bomb Bay doors on the B25 when dropping bombs? If so, what button opens them?

heywooood
01-23-2005, 02:14 PM
no - there is no separate control to open/close the doors...just pickle the bombs...doors open, bombs drop.

...it would be more accurate to have a bombay door toggle but...

PBNA-Boosher
01-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I can just imagine: N00bs forget to open the bomb bay and the bombs smash through and damage the plane...

1.JaVA_Razer
01-23-2005, 02:25 PM
yup most likly

and we'd get a new whining class people the

"my bombaydoorsaretoweak-whiners" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AStotzer
01-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks. I should have just tried it. I figured their had to be some button to open them, but I was wrong.

Taylortony
01-23-2005, 03:14 PM
i think it was the Beaufort did not have a door opening mechanism, they were held closed by rubber bungees and were opened by the weight of the bombs as they fell on them........... simple and effective

civildog
01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
In the search for better ways to open baomb bay doors just imagine this:

When the F-105 was developed it's job was to fly at supersonic treetop altitude and drop a "lay-down" nuclear weapon at mach speed so it could get away. Tests showed that in order for the bomb to get past the slipstream at that speed they had to use a hydraulic ram to provide the power to force the bomb out. The shear bolts on the bomb securing it to the ram torn loose and it was "bombs away"...the whole process took only about 3-4 seconds.

In Germany, where the plane was to be based with these nukes, it was found that now the bomb bay doors also froze shut. So they strengthen the ram to to be able to shove the bomb right through the frozen doors if they wouldn't open!

Not quite WW2, but pretty darn interesting engineering solution.