PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With that Quote?

dse1010
06-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Am i the only person who finds the "Who wants to be victorious on the sea must always attack!" a little strange? Is it a quote of someone? And isn't that incorrect grammar? Does anyone know why it's there?

legodragonxp
06-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Who wants to be victorious on the sea must always attack
Supposedly the is a quote from Kapit√¬§nleutnant H√¬§hl ... but the link I found don't work.

Trent001
06-10-2005, 08:27 PM
If you don't like that quote you can change it! Go into Data/Menu/en_menu.txt and edit line #13

Frederf220
06-10-2005, 08:29 PM
The grammar is probably from Romanians translating German into English.

dse1010
06-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I don't necessarily dislike it, I just thought it was strange. It probably was mistranslated, probably supposed to be "He who wants...". It would have been sort of neat if they put who said it, and had more than one quote.

panthercules
06-10-2005, 10:41 PM
This quote appears in the first numbered paragraph of the U-Boat Commander's Handbook (1943 edition) - it is referred to in that paragraph as a maxim (not attributed as to source), and is translated (by the US Navy) into English as "He who wants to be victorious on the sea must always attack!"

Seems that it may have lost just a little in translation for the game. Unfortunately, I do not have it in the original German to check it myself.

quillan
06-10-2005, 10:45 PM
I don't speak German, and I don't recall the URL of it, but a while back someone posted a link to a site that had the complete German text of the handbook posted online.

AVGWarhawk
06-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Sometimes German dialect does not quite match how it is said in English. Apparently this was a issue in the trial Of Heinz Eck and the Pelaus Affair when German answers to lawyers question just did not translate very well. End result, Heinz Eck was executed.

W.Irving
06-11-2005, 07:16 AM
It looks correct, although a bit formal.
The initial quote was probably referring to 'anyone' as opposed to a certain gender, hence the 'who' instead of 'he'. Although, back in those days there were no female submarine captains.