PDA

View Full Version : PF, FULL cloud cover?

JoachimvMayern
09-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know if PF will have full cloud cover during storms and overcast days? Also, at night, is it pitch black? On FB-ACE pack, when flying at night, looking at the horizon there is this bright light on the horizon that illuminates everything. Anyone know what that is?

JoachimvMayern
09-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know if PF will have full cloud cover during storms and overcast days? Also, at night, is it pitch black? On FB-ACE pack, when flying at night, looking at the horizon there is this bright light on the horizon that illuminates everything. Anyone know what that is?

LEXX_Luthor
09-26-2004, 12:45 AM
The afterglow fades away later during the night.

GoToAway
09-26-2004, 02:05 AM
They said that we'd get full cloud cover in PF, but considering the release date and the fact that we've seen no evidence of cloud cover beyond FB's, I'm starting to doubt that we'll see it in the initial release.

Buster82
09-26-2004, 03:39 AM
C6 released a video of a wildcat in a storm trying to land on a carrier.
it looked like full cloud cover to me

GoToAway
09-26-2004, 03:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buster82:
C6 released a video of a wildcat in a storm trying to land on a carrier.
it looked like full cloud cover to me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but it looked like the FB "gray haze" rather than actual cloud cover to me.

Texas LongHorn
09-26-2004, 04:03 AM
I don't know guys, I suspect the cloud cover will be just fine. It looks alright already, you can control the level in the FMB in the Aces setup as it is. I think the big advancement in PF is the moving Carriers. If the big heavy Iron like the 25 is really gonna' be flyable in many versions I hope my Wife doesn't contemplate divorce, I may not come up for air for hours &lt;ggg.&gt; All the best, LongHorn

LEXX_Luthor
09-26-2004, 09:52 AM
They could have done something very interesting, and I hope they did.

First -- my ATI 9200 with default CD driver does not even notice if I have Clouds turned on or off, no detectable change in fps. And I use "Detailed Clouds" and even use a manual setting in "conf" file that draws the "Detailed" clouds all the way to map horizon (twice as far as normal "detailed" clouds).

If ATI 9200 shrugs those FB clouds off, they could today increase the number of clouds by at least 10 times...thus approximating overcast. The neat thing is the shadows that come with clouds are very pretty, and vastly increasing the number of clouds would also make the ground/ocean darker beneath the cloud layer.

Here are basic FB cumulus "popcorn" clouds, but at much higher density and so approximating solid overcast.

http://mathesonclan.net/Themes/From_The_Air/Clouds/images/Popcorn%20Cumulus.jpg

~ http://mathesonclan.net/Themes/From_The_Air/Clouds/pages/Popcorn%20Cumulus.htm

*-------------

My "conf" file setting to double the FB "Detailed" cloud draw distance is...

TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0

Set to Zero for draw far clouds...that is how it works with my ATI 9200 under OpenGL. I have heard this is a "perfect" setting, but I can manually add this to my Excellent settings. No detectable change in fps with ATI 9200. They can ramp up the clouds until ATI 9200 is challenged again, never mind more modern video cards.

VW-IceFire
09-26-2004, 11:15 AM
So: TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0

Means that it will draw more clouds? Really? I have that set by default and I figured maybe I could get more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Scragbat
09-26-2004, 12:22 PM
With no terrain to use as cover, a layer of overcast clouds would do nicely to hide above when flying into enemy territory.

Just imagine dropping out of the clouds and bouncing an ususpecting enemy. You drop down slowly with vortices swirling off the tips of your wings and then it's curtains for your foe.

LEXX_Luthor
09-26-2004, 12:25 PM
If you can see FB cumulus clouds all the way to map horizon, 20km away, then you already have the double distance cloud draw feature enabled. Using ATI 9200 here.

JoachimvMayern
09-26-2004, 05:47 PM
I would HOPE that PF will have FULL cloud cover in the game. I mean, you're over the ocean, how many ground resources does the PC have to process? Even in Lomac flying over ground terrain, full cloud cover is available. See below. Now that's quality cloud cover.

http://www.lo-mac.com/ss/Subritzky01.jpg

JoachimvMayern
09-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Here is the night light that I was talking about. On FB-ACE, I set a flight at MIDNIGHT. 00.00 hours. Flew at an altitude of 1.5 km. What is this light and where is it coming from?

http://img81.exs.cx/img81/5205/Image195.jpg

VW-IceFire
09-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Well thats the sun or the glow from the sun...when your in the northern lattiudes the sun during the summer never really entirely goes away. It just gets dark....

Now mind you, most of the maps we have aren't set that far north. True twilight in FB is somewhere around 3:30 hours.

It is sort of odd in that way.

JoachimvMayern
09-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Interesting. Latitude wise, Crimea is roughly equal to North or South Dakota. I don't recall seeing any sunlight at midnight in ND or SD. But then again, I could be wrong about Crimea.

darkhorizon11
09-27-2004, 05:17 PM
"Interesting. Latitude wise, Crimea is roughly equal to North or South Dakota. I don't recall seeing any sunlight at midnight in ND or SD. But then again, I could be wrong about Crimea."

I attend college in North Dakota right now. Though the days and nights are drastically different between summer and winter I've never seen a midnight sun in ND either. Go Figure.

Fliger747
09-27-2004, 07:29 PM
I live in Alaska and night there in the Winter does have that bit of a glow to the sky. I think it may be low level Auroral glow, or a bit of light piping through the upper atmosphere, over 'the top'. At any rate stars are nowhere so numerous as at latitudes more near the equator, where it can be VERY DARK over the ocean with no moon. The stars are perhaps a thousand times more visible (in quantity). It would be appropriate in most latitudes covered by PF to have it DARK and starry with no moon.

Night flying is INSTRUMENT flying! JFK Jr is only one example of spatial disorienattion that has resulted in this challenging environment. Single seat night fighters had to be very good!

VW-IceFire
09-27-2004, 09:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoachimvMayern:
Interesting. Latitude wise, Crimea is roughly equal to North or South Dakota. I don't recall seeing any sunlight at midnight in ND or SD. But then again, I could be wrong about Crimea. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Crimea is definately in the south...

Not suggesting that this is the reason for it. Just that it may be the perception of the designers to make it a bit more like that.

Very odd I do say...

JoachimvMayern
09-27-2004, 11:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliger747:
I live in Alaska and night there in the Winter does have that bit of a glow to the sky. I think it may be low level Auroral glow, or a bit of light piping through the upper atmosphere, over 'the top'. At any rate stars are nowhere so numerous as at latitudes more near the equator, where it can be VERY DARK over the ocean with no moon. The stars are perhaps a thousand times more visible (in quantity). It would be appropriate in most latitudes covered by PF to have it DARK and starry with no moon.

Night flying is INSTRUMENT flying! JFK Jr is only one example of spatial disorienattion that has resulted in this challenging environment. Single seat night fighters had to be very good! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a shame that you can't fly at night in il2 without having unrealistic brightness. I've always wanted to fly in total darkness. For some reason, il2 doesn't have full cloud cover or overcast days. Lomac did it, can't see why il2 can't. Kind of makes flying a drag with the same old skies and clouds all the time.

Yellonet
10-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Does anyone have proof of good overcast clouds? A movie or an image at least?

ianboys
10-03-2004, 09:46 AM
The Moscow Winter map allows total darkness.

Or try any map in the rain at night http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GT182
10-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Scragbat, don't worry, AI will still find ya. You can't hide behind clouds or anything else. LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Hopefully AI in PF won't be as smart as it is in FB. But I doubt that will ever happen, seeing PF can be used as an addon.

Yellonet
10-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Overcast? It would be very usefull against human opponents if not against AI.
But it would have to be a local overcast.. some of the maps are too big to be totally covered.