PDA

View Full Version : UK VIEWERS BBC 2 9PM BATTLE OF BRITAIN TONIGHT

Taylortony
09-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Says they fly in a high perfomance stunt plane to see the forces they have to endure in combat etc, it is the last of the Battlefield Britain series and is covering the Battle of Britain including testing the human endurance in combat in the said stunt plane.................

nuff said .......Enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Taylortony
09-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Says they fly in a high perfomance stunt plane to see the forces they have to endure in combat etc, it is the last of the Battlefield Britain series and is covering the Battle of Britain including testing the human endurance in combat in the said stunt plane.................

nuff said .......Enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sharpe26
09-24-2004, 03:08 PM
lucky for me we get the bbc here. I found those actors giving a pretty interesting portrayal. except for one error, this was a great documentary. IIRC wasn't the bombing of London of the Luftwaffe an accident which in turn led the raids of september 7th and 15th?

Taylortony
09-24-2004, 04:23 PM
I thought it was in response of an accidental bombing of berlin????

hop2002
09-24-2004, 04:53 PM
The Luftwaffe "accidentally" bombed London on the night of the 24/25th August, the RAF deliberately bombed Berlin the next night (only a few of the RAF bombers claimed to have found their targets in Berlin, most reported cloud cover over the city and brought their bombs home)

The Luftwaffe "accidentally" bombed London again the same night the RAF were bombing Berlin, and again the night after.

In other words, they "accidentally" bombed 3 nights running, with small (but multiple) numbers of aircraft.

The truth is, many in the Luftwaffe were trying to get permission to bomb London (Kesselring particularly), and targets were being chosen for attack at night right on the outskirts of London.

According to Prof. Richard Overy, in The Battle:

"On the night of the 18/19, bombs fell on Wimbledon, Croydon and the Maldens. On the night of the 22/23 the first bombs fell on central London in attacks described by observers as "extensive" and for which no warning was given; on the night of 24/25 August bombs fell in Slough, Richmond and Dulwich. On the night the RAF first raided Berlin, bombs fell on Banstead, Croydon, Lewisham, Uxbridge, Harrow and Hayes. On the night of the next raid on Berlin, on 28/29 August, German aircraft bombed the following London areas: Finchley, St Pancaras, Wembley, Wood Green, Southgate, Crayford, Old Kent Road, Mill Hill, Illford, Hendon, Chigwell. London was under red warning for 7 hours 5 minutes. The bombing of London began almost 2 weeks before Hitler's speech on 4 September, and well before the first raid on Berlin"

hop2002
09-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Looking at the quote I posted above, either I, or Overy (probably me) seem to have mixed the events of the 22/23 and 24/25. I believe bombs fell on " Slough, Richmond and Dulwich" on the 22/23 and "he first bombs fell on central London in attacks described by observers as "extensive" and for which no warning was given" on the 24/25th.

This is the RAF campaign diary's account for the 24/25th:

"# London and suburbs were attacked in the early hours and the following districts are reported as having been bombed: Canonsbury Park, Tottenham, Highbury Park, Leyton, Wood Green, Stepney, Islington, Enfield, Hampton Court, Millwall and others. A large fire was started at Fore Street spreading to London Wall. Neill Warehouse, West India Dock, was badly damaged by fire, and Warehouse Nos 3 and 4 are now reported to be ablaze. At 0240 hours, it was reported that the Imperial Tobacco Factory and Carter Patterson's Works in Goswell Road were on fire but only slight damage has since been reported.
# The following places were also bombed: Malden, Coulsdon, Feltham, Kingston, Banstead and Epsom."