PDA

View Full Version : Bomb and Gyro Sight Compromises

Snootles
01-16-2007, 10:29 PM
First off let me say, terrific job to you and RRG on the 4.05/6/7 release. I love the Peshka and the new Nakajima fighters, and the '46 planes are just too much fun! I realize that even as I write, the development life of Il-2 is coming to an end, and full effort is being applied to the upcoming BoB sim. As such, I realize my suggestion may be impossible or not worth doing, however...

My suggestion has to do with some of the sights in the game. In the Arado 234, there is a dive-bombing sight which was too complex to model in the Il-2 engine, and so a simpler sight that reflected the advanced capabilities of the real sight was used in the game. Would it be possible to do something like that for other "missing" gun and bomb sights?

For instance, the EZ42 gyroscopic gunsight used in some German '46 planes could not be accurately modeled, because no good information on it existed. Instead, a regular reflector sight was substituted. Would it be possible to "make up" a simple "German-looking" gyro sight to use in the planes that were supposed to have the EZ42? In my humble opinion, that would be more realistic than giving those planes no gyro sight at all.

Or how about the American Norden bombsight? I know that it is a terribly complex piece of equipment and maybe impossible to model in the Il-2 engine. But we know the Norden basically worked by automatically computing where the bombs would go based on altitude and TAS as long as you are flying level- sort of like a level version of the Ar 234 dive sight. Would it be possible to, at the very least, modify the "Lofte 7D" type sight used in flyable American bombers now, to work "automatically?"<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Theory is when you know everything, and nothing works.
Practice is when everything works and no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why."
-Lockheed Martin's F-35 JSF computer middleware presentation

Snootles
01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Bump.

Also looks like the Ar 234 bombsight was actually the Lofte 7K. It was also an automatic sight tied to the autopilot- the pilot placed the intended target in the sight and the autopilot would "fly" the plane to the target and drop bombs automatically.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Theory is when you know everything, and nothing works.
Practice is when everything works and no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why."
-Lockheed Martin's F-35 JSF computer middleware presentation