PDA

View Full Version : The death of the Joystick

Scen
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
I had an opportunity to read this guy's article over on twitchguru the other day and I even had a chance to take a look at the discussion it created.

I thought it might be interesting to start up a discussion here. I know it parallels the same lines as the "lack of PC games" but more importantly it could mean problems later on. If there aren't any titles then manufactures are going to be in for a very rough time.

Let's face it you can't really replace the joystick

For those that are interested here is the link to the article.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/05/10/the_death_of_the_joystick/

vonStahlhelm
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
i dont think that the "dead of the joystick" is near. look at all this multiplayer shooters like
BF1942 or BF2, or military simulations like Armed Assault. they allow the players to fly helicopters and aircraft, will you fly in such games with mouse and keyboard or gamepad? many players of this games use joysticks for aircraft.
if have an aircombat with an player who use mouse and keyboard - the victory mostly is yours. this and of course - the air combat simulations like our beloved IL2 and its successor, games like LOMAC or the MS flightsimulator, all this games need a joystick if you want to master them.
i dont see any danger for the joystick in the near future.

Bearcat99
05-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Not any time soon...

VW-IceFire
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
There still seems to be a market for peripherals like joysticks. Otherwise Saitek would be out of business. They can't rely on the joystick to be a huge market...but its one that keeps on going anyways. Battlefield 2 flying is completely impossible in my view unless you have a joystick or a gamepad. And thats one of the more popular first person shooter/vehicular combat games out there.

Not yet...not by a longshot. Its like PC gaming and RPG's. Both said to be dead...still not dead yet. RPG's are back in a big way actually.

Bearcat99
05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Not only that we will see the pricier manufacturers dropping out before the more reasonably priced ones do...

HellToupee
05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
got a point, less and less joystick friendly games, no more space shooters like freespace or xwing, not so many flight sims these days to.

Krt_Bong
05-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I have a playstation type gamepad myself, it's almost impossible to use in a flight sim or even for aircraft in the Battlefield series. It works well enough for driving sims and thats primarily why I have it because of space devoted to a Flight sim HOTAS I didnt want a steering wheel lying around or spend the money on yet another big controller. I don't see the death of Real Joysticks anytime soon (maybe their cheaper cousins)nothing comes close in any type of serious Flight Sims which are only going to get better and more realistic as tech advances PC games. Consoles are for kiddies and young adults who want to play sports games. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Scen
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh I'm not saying I agree with the article and there is a replacement for a good Joystick but with fewer and fewer titles I can see a potential problem.

Sad really... Where are all the cool updated space and mech sims. We need a new Mechwarrior 2 game. I thought Mech4 was okay but I always would buy another updated version with Mech 2 type game play.

leitmotiv
05-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Well, if there is no market for joysticks, I wonder how the big producers Logitech, Saitek, CH, and Thrustmaster are staying in business, and, for that matter, how guys on eBay are fetching huge amounts of money for new and used Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 joysticks (no new drivers for it but it can still be used in all the latest flight sims including FSX)? In so many words, PC flight sims must have enough of a following to support the peripherals market, or the first sign would, indeed, be the "death" of joysticks, pedals, throttles, bloody expensive TrackIRs, and all of our stuff. In sum, as the poet said, "my death has been much exaggerated."

flakwagen
05-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I think it's rather moronic to declare the 'death' of a device used in numerous real world applications. CH Products makes a line of wheelchair and industrial control devices. They'll be in business no matter what happens to the gaming device market.

Galland

Chris0382
05-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Gamepads are for game consoles and JS's are for PC flight sims. Although graphics may be nice, there is no console flight sim that comes close to pc flight sims.

Huxley_S
05-16-2007, 07:45 PM
If you think about all the space sims and air combat sims that were around in the 90s vs the number today it's no wonder why the joystick is going into decline.

I think that the huge leaps forward in graphics and processing in the last couple of years may help revive the genre.

When I first started playing Forgotten Battles, if you weren't willing to pay 2,000 for a PC then it was hardly worth the effort. These days you can pick up a PC for under a 1,000 that will run everything on maximum eye candy settings with high fps.

That puts combat flight sims back into the realms of the consumer product, like games like Red Baron were, not just for the hardcore enthusiast.

I think to reverse the decline of the joystick we'll need to see some hot new space combat sims, like maybe an updated X-Wing Alliance type of format but with RPG type elements and online play.

leitmotiv
05-17-2007, 12:11 AM
An actual decline of the joystick market is too ghastly to contemplate. Without the peripherals, flight simming would be kaput. Imagine having to use a keyboard---the horror!

Scen
05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
I hope to see the trend change back from consoles to PCs. You would think with all the RD spending on Video Cards Multiple Core CPUs the trend would come back.