PDA

View Full Version : Question for Hatchet, or anyone with experience

Nomad_381
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Can you recommend any good books on the subject of special forces operations? In particualar I would love to read more about Delta Force, as I believe these guys are the true premiere spec-ops force in the US. If I'm wrong I would love to hear why. I'm also interested in foreign spec-ops such as the SAS, GSG-9, and the israeli force whose name eludes me now.

subzero1900
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Black Hawk Down

Not delta's best moment, but it includes more details about the operation that was lost during the transacton to the movie.

It details things you dont see in the video, and it gives the collected perspectives of diffrent squads that got seaperated...

The rides in the humvees...(really detailed by the operatives as a Horrible Place to be)...Then the final resque about how they left the back hatch to the Bradley(I think) open so that if a grenade or RPG did make it inside, the pieces of their bodys would have some place to go (kinda a horrible thing to write..but war isnt pretty)

Yen Lo
05-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Nomad_381:
Can you recommend any good books on the subject of special forces operations? In particualar I would love to read more about Delta Force, as I believe these guys are the true premiere spec-ops force in the US. If I'm wrong I would love to hear why. I'm also interested in foreign spec-ops such as the SAS, GSG-9, and the israeli force whose name eludes me now.

Firt start with Delta Force by Charles Beckwith.
Then Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney.
BHD and Killing Pablo are also excellent by Mark Bowden.
Then theres Richard Marcinko, he started the Navy Version of Delta Force. He has approximately 10 books out on Spec War. His first one Red Cell(book and video) are perhaps the best.
You could also look into SAS with Andy Mcnabb, Chris Ryan, and Johnny 2 Combs. David Sterling If memeory serves me started SAS. BTW theres loads of info out in England about SAS cause they have different rules about using the military, so SAS rolls out when SWAT would go over here.
Theres alot of books out by different companies that detail some of the gear they use.
Lee Van Arsdale, Jim Grover(aka J. Kelly McAnn, and I believe though Iam not sure about Lenny Magill are ex Delta Force Guys)
Want to get in shape check Chris Carraci(x ST6 guy) videos. All calistanics(sp) dont need a gym hehe.
Theres also a book or 2 about about the HRT that you might like.

GSG_9_Rage
05-10-2006, 06:31 AM
you can read some non-fiction tom clancy's, or oyu can read Rainbow Six, even though it is fiction, it is a phenominal book.

Hatchetforce
05-11-2006, 04:18 AM
Well I personally don't think they are the premiere Special Ops force as they have a very limited mission set.

Special Forces, Army Special Forces, conduct the same mission, CBT, in addition to quite a few others which include DA, SR, FID, and UW, just to name a few.

I have several friends over there and their focus is more narrowed and specialized. They are a good bunch of guys but they have select missions.

Haney is persona non grata there now as there were numerous instances of embellishment in his book. Accuracy is something that really isn't there. It provides a good feel, just not the facts.

As regards Army SF there are quite a few books that have provided a look at SF. I would avoid titles that are "All the World's SF" as they tend to be generic, innaccurate and a compendium of info you can get for free off the internet.

Nomad_381
05-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info and referrals guys, though I have already read "Black Hawk Down", Tom Clancy's "Special Forces" and "Rainbow Six" along with a couple titles about the Navy Seals in vietnam.

Nomad_381
05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Special Forces, Army Special Forces, conduct the same mission, CBT, in addition to quite a few others which include DA, SR, FID, and UW, just to name a few.

Thanks Hatchet, just really wish I knew what those acronyms meant lol. In your opinion who is the most elite of the elite? Is it the SAS? From what I have read they have a ton of respect. Or are most of the worlds top special forces teams really on par with each other?

Hatchetforce
05-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Among major western countries you will find most units with similar capabilities. The exception is that U.S. units are invariably better equipped with the latest technology.