PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Ever Wonder?

Fish40
07-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I know we're all interested in how many tons of shipping we sink on our virtual patrols, but did you ever wonder how many tons of marine life was destroyed in real life during the Battle Of The Atlantic? All those depth charges?

cueceleches
07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
War is cruel...

legodragonxp
07-15-2005, 10:26 AM
(from the theme song of Flipper)

We depth charged
Flipper
Flipper
Faster than Liiightning.
On ASDIC we see
We're faster than he

We depth-charged
Flipper
Flipper
He's blown asunder
Hiding there under
Under the sea!

JU88
07-15-2005, 10:30 AM
WhatS Wrong FLIPPERRRRR? DONT YOU LIKE DEPT CHARGES??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

No seriously...
I heard about how a destroyer crew witnessed the aftermath of a poor dolphin hitting a mine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Er anyhoo what about all the people that died in the battle of atlantic? Most on them not even in there twenties. lets not even go there.

The_Silent_O
07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Using DCs Must be a great way to whale hunt...

...Kinda like the Viet Nam technique of throwing a grenade into a pond then gathering all the shocked / dead fish on the surface...

...With torpedoes, you'd have set the fuse for impact and 1 meter, then wait for the whale to breach...and you always have your flak and deck gun for backup...Your crew would be so happy with the change of menu!

Happy hunting...err, fishing!

Lukey__b
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Did U-boat crews ever kill whales to eat?
I know I would if all I had was saurkraut.

WihelmSchulz-
07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
lol a sea of floting dead fish behind a DD.
Captin we killd a U-Boat caring fish!

stinkhammer6
07-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I can eat kraut every day as long as its pan fried and not cooked in a kettle which is a big mistake. As for eating whale and kraut? The captain would surely lure everyone on deck for "drills" and submerge and leave them to the sea, all that fish and kraut gas in the sub? One charge and the world would split in half.

On the serious note, I have wondered that also, like if a torpedo was enroute to a target and it deflected off of a whales back or speared a large shark or something, someone should do some research and investigate that sort of thing and turn it into a book. It would be a sure seller and most likely hilarious.

WihelmSchulz-
07-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I know a Soviet sub ramed a whale once at 30kts. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

CannonFodda_99
07-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Silent_O:

...Kinda like the Viet Nam technique of throwing a grenade into a pond then gathering all the shocked / dead fish on the surface...

That is actually one of the many methods for fishing believe it or not, as well as poisoning the fish and other such methods of fishing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif(am going to look this up when i get home)
remember the good old days when we used a line and rod http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cannon

Maj_Solo
07-15-2005, 05:52 PM
use of hand greanades is forbidden, I believe you throw one in, pick up all the fish, gut them and see who has damaged internal organs, so you throw 90% back into the ocean and save those 10% that was not too bad damaged.

So you see the waste, it was forbidden pretty quickly but people was desperate after the war.

I think that was the story anyway ......

CannonFodda_99
07-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah well hand grenades fragment when they explode which would rip the fish up, but you can use any explosives to stun fish. I think this is banned in many places due to the severe environmental impacts.

Cannon

Maj_Solo
07-15-2005, 07:08 PM
i think u r right maybe it was dynamite sticks then ?!?!????? could that be it ..... but i think it was hand grenade used ... those closest to the explosion is out the question ofcourse but those at the perimiter that a not damaged but just "knocked out" and float up to the surface cause they are unconscious and cant control that depth keeping "thingy" those cant be to badly damaged cant they ...... anyways ,, I am hungry so I wont ask you I see for myself, the allied bombed the sallad bar and I want fish now ..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ... and I remember to put as much oil on it as possible ....

legodragonxp
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Rudel, the famous Stuka bomber pilot from WWII used to drop a small bomb on the shore near a stream. The shockwave would kill or stun all the fish in the water and members of the airfield support crews would be waiting downstream to catch them.

Problem was, the local folks would figure it out and try to get between the bombing point and the 'catch crew', often far too close to the aim point and they'd be killed in the blast. Desperate times...

-Lego

Maj_Solo
07-15-2005, 07:33 PM
ouch ... then the times would be truly desperate ..... ok no more comments .... which I have a ton of ... for any occasion ... slaping myself on the fingers STOP IT Thomas ....

noshens
07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Maj_Solo:
use of hand greanades is forbidden, I believe you throw one in, pick up all the fish, gut them and see who has damaged internal organs, so you throw 90% back into the ocean and save those 10% that was not too bad damaged.

So you see the waste, it was forbidden pretty quickly but people was desperate after the war.

I think that was the story anyway ......
A better way is to electrecute them. Although you need power grid nearby...

Fish40
07-16-2005, 05:10 AM
Remember the opening scene of Crocodile Dundee II? It shows Mic in a small boat, lobing explosives into the water, then collecting the stunned fish after. When the camera pans back, you see he's sitting in lower New York Harbour! LOL!!!! Tremendous!

Sgt_Starbuck
07-16-2005, 08:33 AM
The Liberator bombing crews are the REAL fish killers!

Sarge

Iggins01
07-16-2005, 10:46 AM
don't you know thats hopw rednecks fish. they throw an m80 in the water and it stuns them. you have to use an m80 because it isn't too big but still packs a good punch. an m80 is equal to a 1/4 stick of dynomite

stinkhammer6
07-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Just use a throw net, no damage and you get all sorts of fish, and its not so noisy.

Flakwalker
07-16-2005, 05:19 PM
This ended into Fishing Boat III http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CannonFodda_99
07-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by stinkhammer6:
Just use a throw net, no damage and you get all sorts of fish, and its not so noisy.

Actually fishing nets cause all sorts of damage to the sea bed and coral and other underwater things. Here in NZ some people are trying to ban that mass trawling that they do. But i guess your right in that a small net from a fishing boat wouldnt do too much

Cannon

elaphe
07-16-2005, 06:58 PM
I spent some time in S. America living with the locals (Indians) and was shocked when I saw that they (who don't use a single modern item (make their own cloths) import dynamite and use it to fish. They throw it in, and a bunch of people run about 100 feet downsteam (I joined in) and picked up the dead/shocked fish.

BTW, instead of filleting the small fish, they chop up the bones and eat it whole... not very easy for someone who was taught that swallowing a fish bone would lead to sudden death (by good ol dad)

Iggins01
07-16-2005, 08:55 PM
i never liked fish anyway. only sea food i can stand is canned tuna.

stinkhammer6
07-17-2005, 05:18 PM
I bet if I tossed up my recipe for shrimp brouchette' you would toss away that canned dolphin urm I meant tuna.